Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus 220d Sport

HI,

Newbie here!

I am so close to buying a 220d sport, but I wondered if any of you knowledgeable people are aware if there is the possibility to remap the ECU. I love the smooth and cosseted refinement of the Lexus, but just wished there was more low down torque. I have an Alfa 156 2.4 JTD currently which has serious grunt from 1400 RPM where as the lexus is closer to 2,200 realistically before it starts pulling swiftly.

Any thoughts, very gratefully recieved!

Thanks to all in advance. B)

TTE in Koln also re-map and tune the IS220 and IS250 but there are currently "team orders" to prevent the performance tunning of the new IS's by Lexus untill they have decided which way they are going.

TTE also de-tune the IS220d for the Belgium market to avoid the lux car tax premium.

HI,

Newbie here!

I am so close to buying a 220d sport, but I wondered if any of you knowledgeable people are aware if there is the possibility to remap the ECU. I love the smooth and cosseted refinement of the Lexus, but just wished there was more low down torque. I have an Alfa 156 2.4 JTD currently which has serious grunt from 1400 RPM where as the lexus is closer to 2,200 realistically before it starts pulling swiftly.

You might want to run it past Lexus first (could invalidate your warranty - and insurance if the number of horses increases).

TTE in Koln also re-map and tune the IS220 and IS250 but there are currently "team orders" to prevent the performance tunning of the new IS's by Lexus untill they have decided which way they are going.

TTE also de-tune the IS220d for the Belgium market to avoid the lux car tax premium.

I know about the performance enhancement of the 220d (should be around 220 HP and 0-60 mph in 7.5 sec which is even better than the second gen IS300) , but I have not heard anything regarding the 250. Could you tell us more about this?

Here is the answer I got from TTE last week:

We have a performance kit for the 177PS D4D models under development and try to introduce it within this year.

Unfortunately we do not have any datas for you so far.

HI,

Newbie here!

How many miles did the test car have? Toyota's new D4D, all aluminium engines like at least 1,000 miles before they give you reasonable performance. My Rav4 didnt want to pull before some 1,000 miles, and now it is pretty nice.

Thanks to you all ... this is really encouraging! Comfort, gizzmo's and even better performance, what more could a man want! :D

The order is with the Lease company ...

JAMBOO

Fair point on the insurance issue and of course the warranty ... I have gone down this route in the past with previous cars and have always let my insurers know. Though Remapping is 'Stealthy', you just never know what an insurance company may find out if an accident were to happen! :tomato:

SPWOLFX

The test car had 2,500 miles, but I know that my Alfa didn't really loosen up for 8,000, though of course the engine characteristics (when the torque/power kicks in within the rev range) don't alter, just all gets a little quicker

SHARKMAN

200BHP plus all that torque going to the front is a handful I'm sure - previously ran a Saab 9000 2.3 Turbo 210 BHP and the softest suspension in the world on a car that was quicker from 30 - 50 in 2nd the a Ferrari 355 apparenetly - if you could keep the tyres on the ground! The Lexus being rear wheel and having significant rea tyres though should handle it I would guess!

JIBERJABER

Your thoughts seem to suggest that Lexus may be willing to endorse tuning of the 220 in the future then ..?

Does anyone know if there are UK tuners active yet then?

I've absolutely no idea if they're any good but I did find this a while back:

Diesel Tuning

So that's approx 15% increase - not bad. And for £299 reasonable!

But would you need to do anything to the brakes etc? Or could you "wing" that? I suppose economy would suffer too???

I reckon it's plenty fast enough for me at 177bhp!

I've absolutely no idea if they're any good but I did find this a while back:

Diesel Tuning

HI,

Attractive indeed ...

In the past when tuning other vehicles (Subaru Impreza and Audi A4 130 Tdi), it was suggested that a remap of the ECU was a safer way to increase output. The remap allows for fuelling issues, etc. to maintain the engine ... I have no idea if this is relevant for diesels too as their construction and tolerances seem quite different to Petrol engines ..? :question:

Is anyone going to try this plug-in unit - has 28 day money back gaurantee?

Brian :)

I'd consider it if I could see the traces of the power/torque curves. The power band at the moment is fairly narrow and there is nothing below 1800rpm, if this chip makes it more spikey then no chance, but if it can ease the power in from a lower rev I'd have it even if the overall figures didn't change. The engine isn't underpowered by any stretch of the imagination, it's just the delivery characteristics along with the ridiculous gearing need sorting - this may be the cheaper way to do just that.

JIBERJABER

Your thoughts seem to suggest that Lexus may be willing to endorse tuning of the 220 in the future then ..?

My comments come from a long (bet very good day) at TTE in Koln which Zee organised for LOC whilst we were over there to do the Nurbergring. Dont know if anything has changed since then, but there were having their own private fettel with the cars to see what was what. I think the problem came that they didnt have the ECU details released to them, so they had to piggy back an ECU and play with that.

Other than that no further details... maybe someone else who was there on the day might remember a bit more :)

So that's approx 15% increase - not bad. And for £299 reasonable!

But would you need to do anything to the brakes etc? Or could you "wing" that? I suppose economy would suffer too???

I reckon it's plenty fast enough for me at 177bhp!

I would imagine the same brakes are used across the IS range, including other countries. If that is the case they can handle the IS350 which has over 300bhp.

I know about the performance enhancement of the 220d (should be around 220 HP and 0-60 mph in 7.5 sec which is even better than the second gen IS300) , but I have not heard anything regarding the 250. Could you tell us more about this?

Here is the answer I got from TTE last week:

We have a performance kit for the 177PS D4D models under development and try to introduce it within this year.

Unfortunately we do not have any datas for you so far.

I would imagine if they are going to do anything with the IS250 it will be a turbo/SC add-on. Very little can be gained by tuning a NA engine.

Is anyone going to try this plug-in unit - has 28 day money back gaurantee?

I'd consider it if I could see the traces of the power/torque curves. The power band at the moment is fairly narrow and there is nothing below 1800rpm, if this chip makes it more spikey then no chance, but if it can ease the power in from a lower rev I'd have it even if the overall figures didn't change. The engine isn't underpowered by any stretch of the imagination, it's just the delivery characteristics along with the ridiculous gearing need sorting - this may be the cheaper way to do just that.

My thoughts too - power delivery is the issue, not amounts of power ... :winky:

JiberJaber,

I wouild still prefer a remap as opposed to a piggy back unit, perhaps the TTE option may have moved forward a little now - I will be in contact with them and let you know. :)

Diesel

The Sport is noticable better for ratios I'm told. A good friend drive both and was very impressed with the difference. He is an ex Evo driver ... :excl:

Diesel

The Sport is noticable better for ratios I'm told. A good friend drive both and was very impressed with the difference. He is an ex Evo driver ... :excl:

Now - that's what I want to hear - when mine arrives next week I will let you all know how I get on :)

I heard the rumour that the Dutch importer ask lexus (but Europe is small for them and Japanese firms tend to be deaf for minorities) to have all 220D's fitted with the sport gearbox (good action since imho the normal one doesn't match the engine at all).

Since I have loads of experience with OBD tuning (Revo/Jabba/Amd) on VAG products I can say I would only go for this option and never opt for piggyback.....

The best remaps only adapt centain files and leave all the safety files intact, in this way damage to the motor is almost impossible.

See it this way, Vag turbo motors that have a good remap will go into limp mode when pushed over the limits, badly tuned cars will just go on untill they blow/suffer an early dead.....

I heard the rumour that the Dutch importer ask lexus (but Europe is small for them and Japanese firms tend to be deaf for minorities) to have all 220D's fitted with the sport gearbox (good action since imho the normal one doesn't match the engine at all).

Since I have loads of experience with OBD tuning (Revo/Jabba/Amd) on VAG products I can say I would only go for this option and never opt for piggyback.....

The best remaps only adapt centain files and leave all the safety files intact, in this way damage to the motor is almost impossible.

See it this way, Vag turbo motors that have a good remap will go into limp mode when pushed over the limits, badly tuned cars will just go on untill they blow/suffer an early dead.....

Nicely put Sharkman! The brain in the engine is there for a reason after all! AMD for my Audi were very good and ECUTEK on the Subaru was very impressive, especially in bringing the torque in earlier by encouraging the turbo to spool up sooner. I would expect that these are the types of issue that TTE, etc will address as time goes on ... and no doubt Lexus with their next incarnation of the diesel powerplant. :D

I look forward to hearing on the gearbox too Brian. I would guess that Lexus will have to change the box really in the short term until a revision to the 220D is offered - they are in the business of offering products which are so very, very good in ALL areas

• 2 weeks later...

I look forward to hearing on the gearbox too Brian. I would guess that Lexus will have to change the box really in the short term until a revision to the 220D is offered - they are in the business of offering products which are so very, very good in ALL areas

Hi Brian,

Has yours arrived yet and what do you think now ... need a remap? :D ?

Hi Steve,

I have had it for 5 days now and done about 700 miles in it. It is VERY tight but you can feel the power is there - it is very good at overtaking on the motorway and seems as torquey in many situations as my Impreza was, just not as high revving. The box seems very good, you can use 6th gear at 70MPH no worries.

The box has just been "modded" by Lexus to stop it being as clunky/crashy in 1st and 2nd, which seems to have 90% done the job but it is a tight(ish) gearchange at the moment.

Being a "modder" at heart, if there was a good ECUTEK equivalent remap available (as available for VAG or Peugot diesel cars) then I will certainly look 100% carefully at it as an option.

Overall the car is great, cannot understand reviews like the one in "What Car" this month saying the car is "off the pace" and is poor, missed the boat etc. The quality, design and overall package is UNBEATABLE.

A friend was up today with his new Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd he picked up at lunchtime - and was seriously stunned by the IS - he was so impressed by it, the design, the space, and the quality...he left calling his a "Big Tractor" - he has just traded his V plate Grand Cherokee LTD so does like them...

REALLY good car - any gripes are totally washed away by the whole package.

Hi Steve,

I have had it for 5 days now and done about 700 miles in it. It is VERY tight but you can feel the power is there - it is very good at overtaking on the motorway and seems as torquey in many situations as my Impreza was, just not as high revving. The box seems very good, you can use 6th gear at 70MPH no worries.

The box has just been "modded" by Lexus to stop it being as clunky/crashy in 1st and 2nd, which seems to have 90% done the job but it is a tight(ish) gearchange at the moment.

Being a "modder" at heart, if there was a good ECUTEK equivalent remap available (as available for VAG or Peugot diesel cars) then I will certainly look 100% carefully at it as an option.

Overall the car is great, cannot understand reviews like the one in "What Car" this month saying the car is "off the pace" and is poor, missed the boat etc. The quality, design and overall package is UNBEATABLE.

A friend was up today with his new Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd he picked up at lunchtime - and was seriously stunned by the IS - he was so impressed by it, the design, the space, and the quality...he left calling his a "Big Tractor" - he has just traded his V plate Grand Cherokee LTD so does like them...

Us ex Impreza people need to stick together :D - Classic plus Ecutek 1 & 2, STI bugeye followed by a Prodrive Bugeye 5 door - fun, but expensive to run and hardly refined :blush: :D ... time to grow up I 'spose ...

Glad to hear your pleased and I will keep an eye out for the overly tight 1st to 2nd change that you mention.

The reviews confused me a little too ... I had a car for two days and whilst the engine is not as flexible as an Audi (max torque 2k plus as opposed 1.4k.etc,) the refinement and kudos of the car are far ahead IMHO. The total package really does seem exceptional. Mine will be on a contract hire, the residuals meaning a rental which is lower than an Audi with a retail of 2k less and the Lexus has many more features and technology - it really is great VFM!

Let you know how I get on ... due next week :o

Steve

Great Steve,

Really enjoyable car - quite different but a good compromise - torque is good if you catch it well - the car is getting livelier as it loosens now. Need to hammer lots of miles on it and keep you all updated.

• 2 weeks later...
Great Steve,

Really enjoyable car - quite different but a good compromise - torque is good if you catch it well - the car is getting livelier as it loosens now. Need to hammer lots of miles on it and keep you all updated.

Collected mine today ... rather frustrated though as I have more flat pack furniture to put together than Ikea! :tsktsk:

Let you know how I feel over the coming days :D

Hi Steve,

Hi Brian!

First post from Swedish IS200 owner. Test drove IS220d and was not impressed by the engine. I just wanted to make you aware of KCR diesel tuning. This Swedish company provides plug and play boxes that improve horsepower and torque. Please note that I have no personal experience from KCR products (and no, I don't work there...). But I know that KCR has a very good reputation among Audi/BMW/VW-diesel owners + the mobile home crowd.

All necessary info is on their site, so I won't waffle about it here and now. KCR offers a box for IS220d that promises 200 hp and an awesome 455 nm torque. What I would like to know is if the KCR box improves the feeling of the engine - to me it seemed very strange with an extremely narrow power band. Also, the gears are totally wrong unless you cruise in 200 km/h!

Links:

http://www.kcr.se/render_homepage_en.asp?pageid=1

http://www.kcr.se/render_page.asp?SEARCH=Lexus&pageid=32

Finally, major credit to the people who run this forum. I read many posts, but I wish I had more time to participate. Gotta work my *** off to pay for gas, the tax on gas in Sweden is like 100%...

Cheers!