Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys

I may be going to look at a 97 P GS300 Sport at the weekend and I would appreciate any pointers as to what to look out for on these cars. It has 67k miles, 2 owners from new, full Lexus history and just had the cambelt done. It is described as being in immaculate condition inside and outside. It has the 10" rears with new tyres all around and a new MOT.

I think I can get it for £4.5k, does this sound right?

Any thoughts/advice welcome.

Cheers,

Gavin

Hi,

This might be of some help...

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/knowledge...ndex_v1&c=2

Have a look through the GS300 section for more info,just take your time and have a good read through.

One thing i will say it is a buyers market so dont be afraid to make them a offer what with the engine size and the price of fuel large cars dont sell that well.

Good Luck.

Chips..

Thanks Chips

I think £4500 may be rock bottom - he was looking for £5000 to begin with. Does this sound about right for a car like this if it really is in the condition he says it is?

Hi,

At the end of the day the cars only worth what people will pay for it.

Its a 10 year old car,people from what i see want to be in the lastest reg plate and by todays terms its a old banger.

Dont take what ive said the wrong way :) but you need to think like this if your going to try and get a deal.

Id go and have a look at the car,that way the person knows your not just wasting there time over the phone or by email.

For sure if you want the car take cash,you will be surprised how people will drop a few more quid when they see they can get rid of there car there and then :winky:

In his eyes he is losing value/money on the car every week/month he keeps it.

Chips..

Nah.....it's a bit pricey.

You can get a Mkll for that kind of money.

Seems very low mileage for that age and of course, the lex is notoriously easy to clock (just an observation, not accusation).

Andy

Yeah but its not a Sport is it? Its a GS300 S

And why does 67k miles automatically mean that the car may have been clocked? Is it not possible that the car has had just two owners and they didn't do much driving hence the low mileage?

Hi,

Myself i wouldnt trust any mileage on any car thats being sold on secondhand.

I know its all computer driven now with the miles and other read outs on the dash,but ive heard stories of people whos bought cars from new and have disconnected the speedo cable to keep the miles down for when they sale the car on from more return on there car.

Id judge buying a S/C car more on condition and signs of wear and tear.

Chips..

And why does 67k miles automatically mean that the car may have been clocked? Is it not possible that the car has had just two owners and they didn't do much driving hence the low mileage?

Pardon me for making an observation :blush:

Hi,

Myself i wouldnt trust any mileage on any car thats being sold on secondhand.

I know its all computer driven now with the miles and other read outs on the dash,but ive heard stories of people whos bought cars from new and have disconnected the speedo cable to keep the miles down for when they sale the car on from more return on there car.

Id judge buying a S/C car more on condition and signs of wear and tear.

Chips..

I agree. anyway mileage on these cars is not as important as the way they have been looked after.If car has Lexus history ask to see the VSR from last couple of services for an idea of possible faults which may be there if no receipt for rectification present

Hi guys

I may be going to look at a 97 P GS300 Sport at the weekend and I would appreciate any pointers as to what to look out for on these cars. It has 67k miles, 2 owners from new, full Lexus history and just had the cambelt done. It is described as being in immaculate condition inside and outside. It has the 10" rears with new tyres all around and a new MOT.

Cheers,

Gavin

Hi Gavin

At that price, it sounds like an amazing deal especially if the cambelt has just been done (coz that costs a bundle). However, I would also check the discs. I bought my X reg'd (2001) GS300 Sport for £11k. It had 66k on the clock and the front discs were totally knackered which the dealer replaced. When I had it first serviced I found that the rears were also around 95% worn - so another bundle of dosh went out of my bank account !!!

Have a good look at the underside and check the exhaust - it's not all stainless steel. The heat shields are prone to rattling.

Good luck.

Cheers... FastLemon

Hi guys

Cheers,

Gavin

Hi Gavin

At that price, it sounds like an amazing deal especially if the cambelt has just been done (coz that costs a bundle). However, I would also check the discs. I bought my X reg'd (2001) GS300 Sport for £11k. It had 66k on the clock and the front discs were totally knackered which the dealer replaced. When I had it first serviced I found that the rears were also around 95% worn - so another bundle of dosh went out of my bank account !!!

Have a good look at the underside and check the exhaust - it's not all stainless steel. The heat shields are prone to rattling.

Good luck.

Cheers... FastLemon

If you bought your Mk2 from Lexus dealer it should have RAC report. I would have been pressing for warranty replacement.

I got mine march this year.. its a Late '97 ® GS 300 SPORT, 45,000 with full lexus service history and all paperwork to back this up. Its got the Wide Pack option for the wheels, Mint condition in and out, Pirelli PZeros all round, Wheels in very good condition (not mint) runs beautifully. the guy had a reserve of 6k on eBay but i went down with £5,500 cash and got it.

I think i got a pretty good deal, my friend had paid more for his with double the mileage and a year older.

you can get cheaper ones but dont buy one with anything un-origional about it. apart from tyres, oil, water etc!! :D

I got mine march this year.. its a Late '97 ® GS 300 SPORT, 45,000 with full lexus service history and all paperwork to back this up. Its got the Wide Pack option for the wheels, Mint condition in and out, Pirelli PZeros all round, Wheels in very good condition (not mint) runs beautifully. the guy had a reserve of 6k on ebay but i went down with £5,500 cash and got it.

I think i got a pretty good deal, my friend had paid more for his with double the mileage and a year older.

you can get cheaper ones but dont buy one with anything un-origional about it. apart from tyres, oil, water etc!! :D

Hi and Welcome to LOC.

Now theres a Q for you to start a new thread and post up some pictures up of your fine machine :)

Looking forward to seeing your car.

Chips..