Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

I have taken the plunge and purchased a new GS430....

Having owned a number of LS430's in the past, it was very hard to make the decision to change to anything else other than an LS....I am waiting for the new LS460 in November/December.

Anyway, couple of questions about the new GS430

1/ Has anyone experienced an annoying rattle coming from the dashboard/windscreen? That's the problem with a car that is almost 100% soundproof, you hear everything. This is becoming annoying :angry:

2/ Does anyone if what looks like a Phone holder in the center armrest console IS a phone holder ? - If so, which model phone does it take?

Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on new GS430.

Kind Regards,

DJMike.

Hi,

Welcome to the club. Sorry to hear that (yet another) has dash rattles in GS. Check out this link for a discussion/solution thread. Sounds like you need the scuttle plate clips replacing and felting (1 day job I think)

As for the phone kit - the upper tray is not a phone holder but that is where they attach the actual cradle - I have a Nokia 6230 cradle and I think they also do Sony Ericsson and Motorola cradles.

Overall thoughts are that (once the rattles are fixed) the GS is a brilliant car...but still not a patch on the LS

Why did you buy a GS430, in preference to a faster, more tax efficient, less polluting, more economical, quieter, better handling and cheaper car.........the GS450h?

I cannot see a single advantage in buying the GS430, apart from a larger boot.

bill

PS

No rattles, either.

don't like CVT gearboxes, likes sound of V8 engine, isn't a company car driver so stuff Gordon Brown, would like a boot bigger than a super mini and doesn't give a stuff about green issues?? :P

don't like CVT gearboxes, likes sound of V8 engine, isn't a company car driver so stuff Gordon Brown, would like a boot bigger than a super mini and doesn't give a stuff about green issues?? :P

So the fact the GS450h is quicker, better handling, quieter, more economical and above all, cheaper, is outweighed by the sound of an engine you can hardly hear and a slightly larger boot?

Strange, to say the least.

bill

V8 engine?

You won't notice, neither are intrusive,

bill

I have traded my gs300 sel for a 430 and am over the moon with my decision. The V8 engine is amazing and only 0.5 sec max different to the 450h. I needed the extra boot space as i have a lot of luggage.

The hybrid is great for those who don't need to carry anything around - otherwise its got to be the 430.

like for like spec the hybrid is the same price as the 430.

handling is diminshed due to all the Battery weight according to this months top gear.

Unless the technology has moved on from the rx400h, real world mpg ain't gonna be that impressive.

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for the 450h but i don't think it is a complete enough package for the size of car that it is.

I have traded my gs300 sel for a 430 and am over the moon with my decision. The V8 engine is amazing and only 0.5 sec max different to the 450h. I needed the extra boot space as i have a lot of luggage.

The hybrid is great for those who don't need to carry anything around - otherwise its got to be the 430.

like for like spec the hybrid is the same price as the 430.

handling is diminshed due to all the battery weight according to this months top gear.

Unless the technology has moved on from the rx400h, real world mpg ain't gonna be that impressive.

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for the 450h but i don't think it is a complete enough package for the size of car that it is.

I have conceded the boot space already, although I find it more than adequate for a weekend away's luggage, the GS really isn't meant to be a family car.

The handling is in fact improved by the weight of the batteries, giving an almost perfect front/rear ratio of 50/50. something only previously acheived by a few mid-engined cars. Lexus states:

"The new GS 450h has ideal 50:50 front-to-rear weight distribution and also a better moment of inertia compared to the GS 430 model, as the 3.5-litre V6 is 17 per cent lighter than the 4.3-litre V8. These aspects contribute to the car's more dynamic, agile handling"

I have had 2 LS400s and 5 LS430s, I agree it is a fantastic engine (and car), but no more so than the 450h engine.

The technology in the GS450h is more advanced than the RX400h (I had one for 8 months), the difference is like chalk and cheese.

I must admit I'm struggling to get anywhere near the Lexus fuel consumption figures, I get around 29-30mph around town and 32-33mph on motorway runs. still excellent for a big powerful car. I'm sure I could get more but with such a powerful car, the temptation to use the power, is overwhelming.

Regarding the "complete package" scenario, what car is complete? All have their strong points, as well as their weak ones.

The 450h just seems to have more than the 430 in my book.

bill

I had a look on the Lexus web site last night, I cannot believe how much 430s have lost in value in 12 months. A 12 month old £47k vehicle is selling at a main dealer for £30k, trade in value must be around £26-27k.

I imagine the 450h will hold its value better.

I had a look on the Lexus web site last night, I cannot believe how much 430s have lost in value in 12 months. A 12 month old £47k vehicle is selling at a main dealer for £30k, trade in value must be around £26-27k.

I can't see a single valid reason why anyone would buy a GS430 in preference to the GS450h, apart from the boot space, a minor issue to most.

Personally, I'd say the 430 is doomed and will shortly be deleted.

bill

I can't see a single valid reason why anyone would buy a GS430 in preference to the GS450h, apart from the boot space, a minor issue to most.

bill

Congratulations on your 450h - I'm glad you are pleased with your purchase. Why not let others enjoy theirs? The post was questions on the 430, not 'put down my car please'.

It's quite simple.....

What's that little thing called ? :blush:

AH yes, MONEY !

Try buying a GS Hybrid for £29,600.......

P.S - If anybody does manage to find one, please ask if they want a GS430 in part exchange ?? :hehe::hehe::hehe: JUST KIDDING ! I wouldn't sell it for anything. Pure Love! (Grin!)

P.S My personal feelings on all issues 'Green' - Can't wait until they make the first All Electric Lexus with same performance as current models - until then,I'm happy with my GS430. I don't drive a company car, dont drive in London Congestion zone.....The air is soooooo much greener up North. It's simple, move away from London and hey presto :D Pollution problem solved !!

bill

Congratulations on your 450h - I'm glad you are pleased with your purchase. Why not let others enjoy theirs? The post was questions on the 430, not 'put down my car please'.

You can enjoy what you like, I was merely asking why buy an inferior vehicle for more money.

Funny how people get touchy over their cars 'innit?

bill

It's quite simple.....

What's that little thing called ? :blush:

AH yes, MONEY !

Try buying a GS Hybrid for £29,600.......

P.S - If anybody does manage to find one, please ask if they want a GS430 in part exchange ?? :hehe::hehe::hehe: JUST KIDDING ! I wouldn't sell it for anything. Pure Love! (Grin!)

P.S My personal feelings on all issues 'Green' - Can't wait until they make the first All Electric Lexus with same performance as current models - until then,I'm happy with my GS430. I don't drive a company car, dont drive in London Congestion zone.....The air is soooooo much greener up North. It's simple, move away from London and hey presto :D Pollution problem solved !!

If it is possible to buy the 430 for so little, it reinforces my point of it being a lesser vehicle to the 450h and Lexus needing to heavily discount them to sell them.

Before you make a decision as to whether you would exchange one for your vehicle, perhaps you should try one. Nobody has come up with one valid point (except boot space) where the 430 scores over the 450h.

I have listed seven advantages for the 450h, since then people have mentioned two others, no congestion zone charge and almost certainly much less depriciation.

Perhaps instead of blanket dismissals, you could list what you consider advantages for the GS430.

By the way, pollution is nationwide (try the M62 at rush hour), even the Peak District exceeds safe pollution levels at times.

bill

:offtopic::offtopic::offtopic:

This post has gone way off topic!

Please don't consider this a personal attack but if you wish to get on your 'Soap Box' by acting 'Smug' about your own Car, fine!! Please start your own relevant thread.

No need to interupt this thread in which your reply was in 'no relation' to the originating questions.

Of course people are going to be touchy about insults to their choice in Car. Who wouldn't !!

Nuff said!.

P.S As for valid points, I pointed out that you cannot buy a GS hybrid for under £30,000. That has to be the most valid point of them all - MONEY!!!

It'll be interesting to compare the residuals values of the GS430 and GS450h after 3 years and 1 day. Once they are out of warranty, I wouldn't be surprised if many people are put off by the hybrid - who wants to have problems with all that electronic wizardry. Now yes, this is a Lexus, and unlikely, but still.....

:offtopic::offtopic::offtopic:

This post has gone way off topic!

Please don't consider this a personal attack but if you wish to get on your 'Soap Box' by acting 'Smug' about your own Car, fine!! Please start your own relevant thread.

No need to interupt this thread in which your reply was in 'no relation' to the originating questions.

Of course people are going to be touchy about insults to their choice in Car. Who wouldn't !!

Nuff said!.

P.S As for valid points, I pointed out that you cannot buy a GS hybrid for under £30,000. That has to be the most valid point of them all - MONEY!!!

I am not acting "smug" about anything, merely curious as to why anyone would want a GS430 in preference to a GS450h.

Regarding the sub £30,000 GS430, I searched on Autotrader and it came up with two new ones, both around £44,000

http://www.insuresupermarket.com/newcars/N...reReg_include=0

So I'm not quite sure where the £30,000 comes into the equation.

Don't get me wrong, the GS430 is a terrific car, just the GS450h is much better in almost every respect and I can see no place for the 430 in the Lexus range. They appear to have created their own competition.

bill

It'll be interesting to compare the residuals values of the GS430 and GS450h after 3 years and 1 day. Once they are out of warranty, I wouldn't be surprised if many people are put off by the hybrid - who wants to have problems with all that electronic wizardry. Now yes, this is a Lexus, and unlikely, but still.....

The Hybrid components and the Battery are warranted for 5 years 60,000 miles.

The technology has been tested thoroughly for years in the Prius.

bill

There are currently 7 GS430 all at £30k and another 10 below £35 at Lexus dealers. They all seem to be old demonstrators.

Now that is a great price however I cannot help but think they will be selling for £20k next year so there are still big losses to be made if you purchase one now.

On the hybrid warranty issue, Lexus give a 10 year/100k warranty in the US so they must be confident it will be reliable.

On the hybrid warranty issue, Lexus give a 10 year/100k warranty in the US so they must be confident it will be reliable.

That's 7 more years than they give for the 430 engine, they must be confident of its reliability.

I suppose with the stress shared by two types of propulsion, it provides an easier mechanical life.

bill

That's 7 more years than they give for the 430 engine, they must be confident of its reliability.

I suppose with the stress shared by two types of propulsion, it provides an easier mechanical life.

bill

I think it is more to reassure customers of the hybrid system. I can see them having to replace quite a few batteries in the warranty period. The car is probably priced to include another set of batteries.

bill

I think it is more to reassure customers of the hybrid system. I can see them having to replace quite a few batteries in the warranty period. The car is probably priced to include another set of batteries.

Lexus say the Battery has a 10 year life but it's new technology, I suppose nobody really knows.

bill