Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs300 Or Ls400 - Newbie Looking For Advice.

Hi All,

I am after my first lexus and im a bit daunted by all the expensive technology that can go wrong.

Ive driven both (both mk1 models), and am very impressed. have been leaning towards the GS because it felt a little more sporty whilst still having excellent levels of comfort.

Which one would make the best 'first' lexus? Is either one more reliable and less expensive to fix than the other? (assuming they are both good well looked after cars). Although i prefer the GS would also be happy with an LS. The reliabilty and ease/cost of fixing is my main concern with which one to get.

Hi and Welcome to the LOC :)

Well i always wanted a LS400 after seeing a 50 pence piece balanced on its edge on the engine well it was ticking over,Topgear did that test when the LS400 first came out all them years ago.It showed how smooth and well balanced the engine is.

Cutting to the chase,i bought a mk1 LS400 as my first Lexus(did that 50p test :D and it stayed balanced even with 133k on the engine :winky: )

I found the LS400 a Great cruising car,very relaxing to drive.

Looking at the LS V GS on paper (both mk1 models) there wasnt alot of difference in performance,but the GS will feel alot quick and should handle better as the LS mk1 was setup mainly for the USA market and is very softly sprung.

I did move on to the GS300 mk1 but i wanted more performance so i bought the Jap import version of the mk1 GS300,looks the same but it is badged a Toyota Aristo and is still a 3 litre but its Twin Turboed.

The build quality is better on the LS as its the Flag Ship model and is the Lexus bench mark.

Hope thats of some help,im sure others on here will add there thoughts on your Question.

Good Luck with which ever model you go for in the end.

Cheers.

Chips..

i got my 1st Ls mk3 last year and its the best car i ever had

i have driven the gs before i got my one and thought it was fast and very nice but i think the Ls is better

but its all about want you want to do in it

matt

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice guys. From a reliability point of view and repair cost point of view, is one better than the other?

They are both reliable, and both are very expensive to repair should parts be needed like suspension items. Can be "cheaper to run" if you are a competent home DIY mechanic, as parts can be ordered from USA, it's the labour that can get costly!

jap cars just never go wrong it very much so with lexus how many lexus's have you seen on the side of the road i have never seen any

but if they do go wrong the 300 may be a bit cheaper to repair as there are more of them but but not very much in the two

get the 400 is worth the bit more