Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Altezza Rs200 Turbo

yasar31

Hi guys

I'm very gutted it's packed in on me. Driving down the motorway on nice sunny day about 28 degrees. Guy was up my back side so i decided to drop it in 3rd an push it a bit. Slowed down after a min or and let the guy go past.

At that point the engine management light came on and the temp guage shot through the roof. Was just passing the start of a slip road so their was no hard shoulder. As soon as i got by the slip road went on the hard shoulder and the car just died out. Could see smoke comin from under the bonnet.

Opened the bonnet 2 see that their was coolant all over the engine one of the pipes had snapped. Their was smoke and a burning smell coming from the turbo.

Got it back 2 local garage and they tried starting it and said looks like the valves have been damaged. So from their towed it to a garage that deal with modified cars. They were ready 2 close so they gonna do a compression test on it in the mornin.

I have no idea when it comes 2 this kind of stuff 2 complicated for.

Could any1 tell me by experience if i have caused alot of damage 2 the car and what kind of price i will be lookin 2 get it back on the road.

cheers

You want to get that car to someone who will give you honest advice - I recommend Kenny Brown in Hillington, Glasgow - 0141 882 6757.

He's done loads of work on my Aristo V300 / Lexus GS - LSD, suspension, uprated timing belt, intercooler etc. and he rebuilds Subaru engines etc. so worth speaking to. There's never been a bad job out of that garage.

Very sorry to hear that.

Compression test should give you somewhere around 13-11psi per cylinder.

IIRC you have a Greddy Turbo kit? Most users run 0.5-0.65bar (7-9psi) of boost used in conjunction with a Greddy E-Manage.

The engine can't really take more than 10psi of boost, so i'm doubtful its detonated due to boost, although it could be a combo of heat and fatigue?....

Check compression and see how it looks, also pour more water in and see if it leaks out, look for the leak, if its coming from the bottom end of the engine, looks like a rods smashed through :(

Good luck!

Thanks 4 the advice.

Mr Singh i do have the Greddy Turbo wich is running at 0.5 boost. Got the compression test done valve 1 and 4 are fine but valve 2 and 3 have packed in. Need 2 send the block away 2 get skimmed and then get it replaced with a new gasket which is slighty thicker than the standard 1 cause it's a turbo.

B4 they can check anythin else i.e turbo etc etc they need 2 wait till they get the car up and running. Then they will be able to tell if any other damage has been caused.

They reckon it's gonna cost over a grand 2 get it back on the road. But gonna have 2 wait for a few weeks b4 they can get their hands on it as they r so busy.

So me a sad man off the road for the next few weeks : :angry:

Very sorry to hear that.

Compression test should give you somewhere around 13-11psi per cylinder.

IIRC you have a Greddy Turbo kit? Most users run 0.5-0.65bar (7-9psi) of boost used in conjunction with a Greddy E-Manage.

The engine can't really take more than 10psi of boost, so i'm doubtful its detonated due to boost, although it could be a combo of heat and fatigue?....

Check compression and see how it looks, also pour more water in and see if it leaks out, look for the leak, if its coming from the bottom end of the engine, looks like a rods smashed through :(

Good luck!

Thanks 4 the advice.

Mr Singh i do have the Greddy Turbo wich is running at 0.5 boost. Got the compression test done valve 1 and 4 are fine but valve 2 and 3 have packed in. Need 2 send the block away 2 get skimmed and then get it replaced with a new gasket which is slighty thicker than the standard 1 cause it's a turbo.

B4 they can check anythin else i.e turbo etc etc they need 2 wait till they get the car up and running. Then they will be able to tell if any other damage has been caused.

They reckon it's gonna cost over a grand 2 get it back on the road. But gonna have 2 wait for a few weeks b4 they can get their hands on it as they r so busy.

Gutted for you mate.

If you need a spare head, valves (exhaust), or camshaft (exhaust) let me know, i have one :)

Did you find out where water leak was from?

The little pipe that attaches on 2 the throttle body that's where it burst from. Looking at it looks like if some1 just ripped the ppipe from the throttle body.

How much are u looking for the valves and the other bits and bobs u have? What kind of exhaust do u have?

U seem 2 know alot about tezza's. Since the car is off the road anyway is their anythin i could do 2 gain some extra power?

cheers

Thanks 4 the advice.

Gutted for you mate.

If you need a spare head, valves (exhaust), or camshaft (exhaust) let me know, i have one :)

Did you find out where water leak was from?

The little pipe that attaches on 2 the throttle body that's where it burst from. Looking at it looks like if some1 just ripped the ppipe from the throttle body.

How much are u looking for the valves and the other bits and bobs u have? What kind of exhaust do u have?

U seem 2 know alot about tezza's. Since the car is off the road anyway is their anythin i could do 2 gain some extra power?

cheers

Thats odd, those are coolant pipes under the TB. Maybe some debris made it up there or something shot off the belts and slashed it?

My spare parts would be sold as complete. What i have,

3S-GE Gen 4 Head

8x Exhaust Valves (still installed, Complete with Shims and Buckets)

1x Exhaust Camshaft

1x Inlet Cam Pulley

1x Exhaust Cam Pulley

So out of that, you would need;

8x Inlet Valves (plus shims and buckets)

1x Inlet Camshaft

Its my old head so those parts you need are what broke when i had to fix mine. I just bought a complete head from Chisiang :)

To make the head complete,

camshafts are £219 each (but you can use your one)

head set £107 (this inc. EVERY gasket for a head off rebuild inc. Head Gasket)

cambelt £27

head bolts £7 each

inlet valves £15 each

buckets £12 each

shims approx £9 each (loads of sizes)

TBH, you need to take your head off and see what needs replacing.

As you have a Turbo, you could lower the CR (compression ratio) using a HKS Head gasket. Proper way to do it is to do Rods/forged pistons etc... This way you can up your boost from 0.5bar to as much as 1bar, but more boost doesn't always make for an efficient system, not sure the Greddy turbo has much headroom tbh..

Crack the head off, find out how many and which valves are bent, and if you want to buy my old parts as spares or just to work on then let me know!

Pipes to throttle body? Coolant? Sounds like a oil pipe from the turbo. Coolant leak will release steam and should be odourless while oil produces smoke when contacted with hot surface. =(

Maybe he meant to say steam rather than smoke :P

I don't get why it detonated with 0.5bar boost, maybe its very badly tuned :winky:

We will find out the exact story when the car is ripped apart then i will let u know if i need any parts.

What kind of power can the stantard beams engine hold? I wanna get this car fixed so it's bullet proof don't wanna end up on the hard shoulder every other month.

What's happenin with ur tezza anyway. Is it back on the road yet?

cheers

Thats odd, those are coolant pipes under the TB. Maybe some debris made it up there or something shot off the belts and slashed it?

My spare parts would be sold as complete. What i have,

3S-GE Gen 4 Head

8x Exhaust Valves (still installed, Complete with Shims and Buckets)

1x Exhaust Camshaft

1x Inlet Cam Pulley

1x Exhaust Cam Pulley

So out of that, you would need;

8x Inlet Valves (plus shims and buckets)

1x Inlet Camshaft

Its my old head so those parts you need are what broke when i had to fix mine. I just bought a complete head from Chisiang :)

To make the head complete,

camshafts are £219 each (but you can use your one)

head set £107 (this inc. EVERY gasket for a head off rebuild inc. Head Gasket)

cambelt £27

head bolts £7 each

inlet valves £15 each

buckets £12 each

shims approx £9 each (loads of sizes)

TBH, you need to take your head off and see what needs replacing.

As you have a Turbo, you could lower the CR (compression ratio) using a HKS Head gasket. Proper way to do it is to do Rods/forged pistons etc... This way you can up your boost from 0.5bar to as much as 1bar, but more boost doesn't always make for an efficient system, not sure the Greddy turbo has much headroom tbh..

Crack the head off, find out how many and which valves are bent, and if you want to buy my old parts as spares or just to work on then let me know!

Pipes to throttle body? Coolant? Sounds like a oil pipe from the turbo. Coolant leak will release steam and should be odourless while oil produces smoke when contacted with hot surface. =(

Maybe he meant to say steam rather than smoke :P

I don't get why it detonated with 0.5bar boost, maybe its very badly tuned :winky:

We will find out the exact story when the car is ripped apart then i will let u know if i need any parts.

What kind of power can the stantard beams engine hold? I wanna get this car fixed so it's bullet proof don't wanna end up on the hard shoulder every other month.

Stock lump reliably will produce 280-300hp if tuned correctly. You can have 250hp but very badly tuned and still kill your engine, all about the tuning when it comes to turbos..

If you want more power up the boost, thicker head gasket and bobs yer uncle.

Your looking around £1k for forged pistons, maybe cheaper if u do some digging.

Mines back on the road :winky:

Ok car back on the road. damaged parts were the head gasket and the cylinder head. Got the cylinder head skimmed and replaced with a 1mm HKS head gasket. The pipe that gad burst under the TB was the coolant pipe and was due 2 general wear and tear on the car.

The guy was sayin when he put all the car 2gether and took it 4 a spin it was runing 1.5 boost. Came back and adusted the turbo back to 0.5 bar.

I think their is still somethin wrong under their. When driving in low revs and i put my foot 2 the ground guage goes to 0.5 bar boost but the car starts jirking a little until i'm in the 4-5000 rpm mark and that's when the turbo kicks in. Feels like i'm loosin some compresion of the turbo in low revs.

Any idea what that could be? I'm gonna take it back in and ask the guys if they can check it 4 me. They told me the car is running fine and 2 different mechanics took it 4 a run and it was all good.

Stock lump reliably will produce 280-300hp if tuned correctly. You can have 250hp but very badly tuned and still kill your engine, all about the tuning when it comes to turbos..

If you want more power up the boost, thicker head gasket and bobs yer uncle.

Your looking around £1k for forged pistons, maybe cheaper if u do some digging.

Mines back on the road :winky:

Ok car back on the road. damaged parts were the head gasket and the cylinder head. Got the cylinder head skimmed and replaced with a 1mm HKS head gasket. The pipe that gad burst under the TB was the coolant pipe and was due 2 general wear and tear on the car.

The guy was sayin when he put all the car 2gether and took it 4 a spin it was runing 1.5 boost. Came back and adusted the turbo back to 0.5 bar.

I think their is still somethin wrong under their. When driving in low revs and i put my foot 2 the ground guage goes to 0.5 bar boost but the car starts jirking a little until i'm in the 4-5000 rpm mark and that's when the turbo kicks in. Feels like i'm loosin some compresion of the turbo in low revs.

Any idea what that could be? I'm gonna take it back in and ask the guys if they can check it 4 me. They told me the car is running fine and 2 different mechanics took it 4 a run and it was all good.

Congrats mate!

how much did that all cost :winky:

If it was running @ 1.5bar that explains why it detonated! Did your tuner set it up to that?

Surely with running that much boost it was MASSIVELY underfuelled, suprised you didn't put a hole in the pistons!

Get your car to a tuner, it would be best to get some miles on it before you do this. Get it mapped PROPERLEY to avoid it blowing on you.

I am guessing its undefuelled, could be bad mapping, AFRs all over the shop... who knows till you get a power run on the dyno with all the basics to study..

Big hole in ma pocket man. Cost me 800 bucks! What can u say ***** happens. The car was running 0.5 boost when it packed in on me. It just started runing 1.5 bar of boost when they put the whole thing back 2gether.

The ecu that is in the car is light blue kind a colour. And the guy that sorted the car said that theirs not nuch u can do with that ecu. But he did say that the ecu is already very well programmed.

I went 2day 2 see him but they were closed due 2 bank holiday so will catch up with him in the morning.

Congrats mate!

how much did that all cost :winky:

If it was running @ 1.5bar that explains why it detonated! Did your tuner set it up to that?

Surely with running that much boost it was MASSIVELY underfuelled, suprised you didn't put a hole in the pistons!

Get your car to a tuner, it would be best to get some miles on it before you do this. Get it mapped PROPERLEY to avoid it blowing on you.

I am guessing its undefuelled, could be bad mapping, AFRs all over the shop... who knows till you get a power run on the dyno with all the basics to study..

Big hole in ma pocket man. Cost me 800 bucks! What can u say ***** happens. The car was running 0.5 boost when it packed in on me. It just started runing 1.5 bar of boost when they put the whole thing back 2gether.

The ecu that is in the car is light blue kind a colour. And the guy that sorted the car said that theirs not nuch u can do with that ecu. But he did say that the ecu is already very well programmed.

I went 2day 2 see him but they were closed due 2 bank holiday so will catch up with him in the morning.

£800? thats not bad :)

No bent valves at all then? just a bust head gasket? (breaking that HG would take some doing! Tripple laminant)

I can only assume it boosted @ 1.5bar due to the Battery being disconnected, and it reseting the parameters. The Emanage is essentially a piggy back ECU aswell.

Get it on the dyno when she's got a few miles after the rebuild. If your tuner is competant theres no reason why you can't up boost to 0.7 or 0.8bar with a slightly lower compression.

I went 2 see the tuner 2day. He's not really sure if the emanage can handle 0.7-0.8 bar off boost. As he says the emanage is already pre-programmed. So he asked me 2 get some opinions from the lexus club. As people on this website will know more about the altezza greddy turbo than he does cause he's never done 1 before.

I just want the car 2 be bullet proof as it is a car i use daily. But on the other end wouldn't mind some extra boost :winky:

No bent valves at all then? just a bust head gasket? (breaking that HG would take some doing! Tripple laminant)

I can only assume it boosted @ 1.5bar due to the Battery being disconnected, and it reseting the parameters. The Emanage is essentially a piggy back ECU aswell.

Get it on the dyno when she's got a few miles after the rebuild. If your tuner is competant theres no reason why you can't up boost to 0.7 or 0.8bar with a slightly lower compression.

Goto another tuner. If he is seeking the advise from LOC that doesn't inspire alot of confidence into his abilitys or experience personally!! He already should know its a high comp engine..

The Emanage can boost up higher, but why do to want more boost if you engine can't handle it? Do a comp' ratio test, see how much its dropped with the HKS head gasket, if its low 11s high 10s i'd say you can run 1 bar, but you will need to do return fuel line with a adj' fuel pressure reg and larger injectors.

I went 2 see the tuner 2day. He's not really sure if the emanage can handle 0.7-0.8 bar off boost. As he says the emanage is already pre-programmed. So he asked me 2 get some opinions from the lexus club. As people on this website will know more about the altezza greddy turbo than he does cause he's never done 1 before.

I just want the car 2 be bullet proof as it is a car i use daily. But on the other end wouldn't mind some extra boost :winky: