Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Using The Amp In An Is200 Se With A Pre-out Headunit

Hi all,

I have a Clarion head unit with RCA pre-outs for 6 channels (front/back/2 subs) and I want to connect it up to the existing SE amp behind the glove box. As I'm new to having a car with its own seperate amp, I need a few questions answering :blush: (I do know how to install hifi from scratch, but this is a bit different)

Does the amp have its own power lead and is it activated using the remote cable like most/all other amps? Or does it take power from the head unit?

Fargo (if you're out there...) I understand that you have (or make) the adpaters so that I can connect the ISO on my clarion to the amp. Do you have them with RCAs on there so that its make my life a lot easier hehehe!! :whistling:What does the connector do exactly?

I don't want to start ripping things apart and then find out that I can't do what I'm after, so I'm after as much info about how this thing works first.

Thanks everyone,

Sven

• 3 weeks later...

the connectors i have are mearly an extension piece if you like, so you can connect to this rather than chopping up the stock wires...

I'd rather that, than butcher either my clarion or the other cables....

should be fairly stright forward, yes?

see if I can get this right:

[speakers] ------ [amp] ------ [headunit]

The cable you have bypasses the amp completly, so one end has the iso connector and the other has the same connector as the amplifier so the speakers can plug into... is that right? Would I need to have the same connector as the standard head unit to plug into the amp with the female RCA in that?

Begining to think I'd have to crop off the plug from a unit thats died - Err3 jobbie perhaps, or a breakers yard in Herts/Camb area. Or is that the part that you have?

Thanks mate,

Sven

Hello there Fargo

A litlle :offtopic: but still to do with amps. Is there any way of fixing an amp to the standard IS200s head unit, if so will there be any difference in sound quality or shall i not bother??

Chhers Chris

Cheers, now i'll have to fiddle on putting a pre out into the Original head unit wont i? If not i think i may just go for a new headunit.......any double din units you can aprove of??

Cheers Chris

I've seen that thread you posted before, hopefully the IS300 will have a similar electrical layout as the 200. Found the 2001.zip file with all the electric diagrams in there, and I'll gonna pull it apart to see what I can learn from it - IF its the same as a 200 of course.

If it is, I'll post up my results and see what everyone thinks.

If its not possible, let me know now - and I'll stop. Think it should be possible though.

Cheers!

Cheers, now i'll have to fiddle on putting a pre out into the Original head unit wont i? If not i think i may just go for a new headunit.......any double din units you can aprove of??

Cheers Chris

No offence mate. But if you read through your original read and read my answers to your questions with regards an IS 200 S stereo + aftermarket system.... all is revealed :lookaround:

I've been looking at the wiring diagram and been scratching my head a bit.

Couldn't see any wires that feed front and back independently, seems like the amplifier does this rather than the head unit. Which is annoying.

I've done a bit more reading and I've found this link

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=106716

Seems that the stock unit and the amp talk to each other digitally - I'm assuming thats the TX+/TX- feed.

Very annoyed now. I wanted to use my new head unit with the existing speakers!! Fargo, anyway of doing this? Are we talking a crossover and impedance matching circuit for the 2Ohm woofers..? :huh:

or will your cable be fine, and everything work hunky-dory?

leave the stock amp, use my box of tricks to deal with the TX issues and add a pair of RCA's to the connector that comes with my box of tricks to add AUX in. then the stock amp will sort out the reasr speakers.

OR

leave the stock amp alone, fit new a new amp, speakers and run new cable......tis what i did...

leave the stock amp, use my box of tricks to deal with the TX issues and add a pair of RCA's to the connector that comes with my box of tricks to add AUX in. then the stock amp will sort out the reasr speakers.

Your Box-O-Tricks, how will this cope with a fader? My head unit has seperate pre-outs for front and back, would I just be using the front or the back or both?

OR

leave the stock amp alone, fit new a new amp, speakers and run new cable......tis what i did...

Thinking that is the only realistic alternative.... unfortunatly.

Why have they made it so hard?!?!? I mean.. a digital signal is needed to specify a fader position from a stereo source, nice idea, but why build it into the amp rather than the head unit!?

Thanks Fargo, PM me the price (or post on here) so I can work out what is best to to do, might start looking into some Kappas. Already got 5.5" and some 4s next - the big jobbies me thinks.

I'm gonna have another beer now, and have a ponder.

Cheers,

Sven

• 2 weeks later...

is there anyone out there who has managed to simply replace the standard se/sport head unit, with an aftermarket stereo and still use the existing lexus amp and speakers which i assume are correctly matched to give the best sound.

maybe some one knows if it is possible to make a lead that connects in to the amp wiring and then splits off to a combination of the standard aftermarket connector in the back of the new headunit and also connects in to the rca's too to get the pre amp outputs..