Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Digital Camera

Hi guys,

I'm wanting to buy a new digital camera, but as there are soooo many out there i wondered if anyone could reccomend some decent digital cameras for me :D

My only constraints are that:

1) I don't want to spend over £250 - £300.

2) I don't want anything too chunky.

3) I need a good level of zoom and clarity as i often need to take high quality images of chemicals, etc in the lab.

4) Must be fairly aesthetically pleasin B)

5) Must have good memory size and quick at loading up images etc.

6) Ideally i'd like it to come with a re-chargable Lithium camera type Battery

any reccomendations welcomed

cheers

rob ;)

Sony DSC p200 - 7+mpixel and less than £225!! Fantasic camera, small, takes up to 2gb Sony Memory stick and USB plug and play. Has a lithium Battery.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1576

And it takes movies, limited functionality but very very good picture and sound. A very good camera IMHO the best in this price range.

I have the 5mp version and it is fab!

I have just bought Sony as well, the one I have is the DSC-T30.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2705

Forget the crap about over priced memory cards, picked up 2 x 2GB cards for £50 from eBay.

Plus with it being sony it has a Battery indicator that tells you how much life is left in minutes rather than just a picture of a Battery.

A picture taken on Sunday. Beware, it is 3Mb.

IS200overM6.jpgClick to enlarge.

Other camera is a Konica Minolta SLR which is a bit out of the price range.

Forget the crap about over priced memory cards, picked up 2 x 2GB cards for £50 from ebay.

Plus with it being sony it has a battery indicator that tells you how much life is left in minutes rather than just a picture of a battery.

That is a sexy piece of kit!!! how much did it set you back mate???

has it got many 'toys' with it, or is it pretty basic in terms of features?

Forget the crap about over priced memory cards, picked up 2 x 2GB cards for £50 from ebay.

Plus with it being sony it has a battery indicator that tells you how much life is left in minutes rather than just a picture of a battery.

This is the guy I bought it from in end

ebay link

Basically it does most things you need from a modern camera without being too complicated to use.

It arrived next working day as well.

What I did was go into the local Jessops and take a look at it in acton first :winky:

This is the guy I bought it from in end

ebay link

Basically it does most things you need from a modern camera without being too complicated to use.

It arrived next working day as well.

What I did was go into the local Jessops and take a look at it in acton first :winky:

might go down the local camera shop and take a look round....see whats out there.

keep the reccomendations coming :D :winky:

i use a fuji finepix z1

5 MP

video

does the job,

fits in a pocket

easy to use

reasonable cost £150

i would take a piccy of it, but obviously i cant :lol:

i also have a canon digital SLR

which gets far less use since i got the fuji

Sony DSC p200 - 7+mpixel and less than £225!! Fantasic camera, small, takes up to 2gb Sony Memory stick and USB plug and play. Has a lithium battery.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1576

And it takes movies, limited functionality but very very good picture and sound. A very good camera IMHO the best in this price range.

I have the 5mp version and it is fab!

That's the camera i bought....... can't fault it so far... Battery is unbelievable...... have used the camera alot and have never had to worry about the Battery, recorded a 25 min video onto 512mb and the Battery meter hardly moved...... :)

i would take a piccy of it, but obviously i cant :lol:

Got a mirror in your house.......... :winky:

i use a fuji finepix z1

I forgot the Fuji's, they're really good cameras too - Fuji or Canon

Wouldn't personally get a Sony, they aren't as good, but yes the infolithium Battery meter is very useful. Although I'm hoping that photo from lee_iceman is just a bad photo as my 5 year old Sony P1 takes better pictures than that (sorry I can't post any up, but don't have a site to host them on and don't want to post up a massive photo)

well, thanks for all the input guys.

i went down to a local camera shop today to have a look at the selection (although its not a very big shop so was a little limited!!).

anyway, i really like the look of the new Olympus MJU 720 SW:

Olympus MJU 720 SW ------> photos at bottom of review :winky:

- waterproof to 3 metres

- Shock resistant to 1.5 metres

- 7.1 MP

- Re-chargable Li Battery

- Probably the best LCD screen on the market

- Nice looking

- about £260 (but will get on eBay later to see what they're going for on there :winky: ;) )

I'm still not decided as i don't wanna rush into it and buy the wrong thing.

I wouldn't buy a camera from eBay...... always that doubt in the back of my mind, if you know what i mean :winky:

Bought mine online from "Pixmania"... base prices are very good... but watch the options as it can go up fast..... but you get to pick what suits you......

I wouldn't buy a camera from Ebay...... always that doubt in the back of my mind, if you know what i mean :winky:

Bought mine online from "Pixmania"... base prices are very good... but watch the options as it can go up fast..... but you get to pick what suits you......

i probably won't buy one from eBay but thought i'd take a look.

the link that peter026 posted has the same model camera at £200 (compared to £60 in the shop).

Probably give it a week or so of looking before i buy anyway :D

I wouldn't buy a camera from Ebay...... always that doubt in the back of my mind, if you know what i mean :winky:

Mine was bought from eBay, turned out the company was Pixmania and the price on there website was £20 more. If you buy from a reputable seller and get a warranty then its not too bad.

I had to send a Fuji back a few months ago, they sent out a brand new replacement no problems.

Try this - latest Sony - 8.1mpxls and less than £220!

N1

just when i thought i had found what i was looking for this springs up :o :D

don't like it as much as the olympus in terms of looks, but the touch screen feature sure is sweet B)

Try this - latest Sony - 8.1mpxls and less than £220!

N1

just when i thought i had found what i was looking for this springs up :o :D

don't like it as much as the olympus in terms of looks, but the touch screen feature sure is sweet B)

I would go for the Canon Ixus 65........you can pick up a 4 GB SD card for around £50, the Sony Memory Sticks are twice that price for only 2 GB

I have used a few Fuji cameras and thought they were great.

That is also my experience of "point and shoot". Fuji A300 or A400 excellent choice when on a limited budget.

Mind you if you want something nice, I got a second hand Pentax with filters and all sorts of other stuff if you're interested.