Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Led Rear Lights

Ok, firstly those of you with the LED rear lights either black or chrome you can now get LED rear fogs to match, came accross them on US eBay, come in at £80ish.

I have these LED rear lights in black and for some reason i have just noticed that the top 3 LEDs and 1 from the second row down are all failing to light on the left side lamp! I though LEDs had a long life or would there be another reason there not lighting that someone could suggest? They cost me a bomb and i can't believe this has happened, not happy! Anyone else with these found any problems?

Although i also bought a pair of the pulse bulbs and was gonna have a change anyway i still like my LEDs and was gonna get these fogs to match.

Anyone shed some light on this (no pun intended)

Thanx

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the rear lights from someone on here, can't remember the name now but he has a website too, i'll have to have a look later see if i can find it.

I did think it was a bit unusual for LEDs to fail and now i have noticed that the rest are starting to fail and go dim, just really annoying after all the money i spent on them and the talk of LEDs lasting a lifetime.

Wherewould the faulty connection be, there just plug in and i've had them out to see if i could see anything but no.

As for the fogs, i will get the link later on for you, but you go onto US eBay and put in Lexus IS200 LED fog lights should come up.

Thanx for the response Rob

Are the lights a decent brand (DEPO)? If so you may be able to claim under warranty.

Otherwise you'll have a bugger of a job trying to replace the individual LED's since the wiring is all internal and you'll have to tear the lens apart to get to it.

They are Depo lights yes, i bought them off a guy on here called SCORCHER who has a site called Evil Ride, had them since last September with no problems til a few weeks ago, its a real bummer, i have no reciept or paperwork for them now so i doubt i could claim under warranty, so i guess thats it just have to bin them i suppose and stick with the stock taillights?

They are Depo lights yes, i bought them off a guy on here called SCORCHER who has a site called Evil Ride, had them since last September with no problems til a few weeks ago, its a real bummer, i have no reciept or paperwork for them now so i doubt i could claim under warranty, so i guess thats it just have to bin them i suppose and stick with the stock taillights?

The lights I had I also bought from Scorcher, they were Depo's.....never had any problems with LED failures.

I guess you're screwed if it was a private sale :unsure:

Yeah guess its one of those things, grin and bear it i suppose, was just hoping there was a known reason for it! Ah well, as they say ***** happens.

Now where can i buy one LED rear light! Ha!

As for the rear LED fogs try this link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Sorry to hear about this. I had a similar problem with LED side lights but that was due to damage caused by excessive heat from headlights.

In your case it seems like the internal LED connections are at fault.

Thanks for all the replies guys, on the look out for some late spec rear lights now as not goin to spend more money on another set of LEDs.

Rich

This is strange, today i took out the right lamp (working fine) to plug it into the left side (faulty) to see if for some reason it might be the wiring or something other than the lamp, lamp still worked ok, put them all back after a little fiddle and now noticed that the right side some of the LEDs are fading and not as bright as the rest, i don't know whats goin on with these lights but its peeing me right off, looks complete naff now and tacky and i have no old lights cos sold them!

Is there anyway i can test the lights off of the car or test the LEDs?

Anyone fancy a swap for a faulty set of LED lights for some standard spec ones? Hmmm!

This is strange, today i took out the right lamp (working fine) to plug it into the left side (faulty) to see if for some reason it might be the wiring or something other than the lamp, lamp still worked ok, put them all back after a little fiddle and now noticed that the right side some of the LEDs are fading and not as bright as the rest, i don't know whats goin on with these lights but its peeing me right off, looks complete naff now and tacky and i have no old lights cos sold them!

Is there anyway i can test the lights off of the car or test the LEDs?

Anyone fancy a swap for a faulty set of LED lights for some standard spec ones? Hmmm!

could you not supply the appropriate 12V feed opff the car?

• 4 weeks later...
Ok i'll try this and see what happens.

Cheers.

I have just seen this post and guess what? My IS was with Dr Bones yesterday and while it was on the ramp I noticed that the two top rows of LED's (8 in total) on the rear nearside cluster were not working. I also bought mine from Scorcher trading under the name of evilride via an auction on eBay in October 2005. I will be e-mailing evilride to see what they can do as it has only been ten months since I bought these. Apparently he is currently on holidays and does not return until the 16 August 2006. Fortunately I have an e-mail receipt from him confirming he received payment. I am not too happy :angry: about this either as LED's are supposed to last.

REALLY! Interesting Mars, i still have my reciept from Paypal to confirm payment to him too, under the name of Evil Ride.

I was really peed off when i noticed and that was only 3, then after more started to fail so i just took them off and bought some dark late spec rear lights and fitted the pulse bulbs but still would've liked to keep the LEDs on as thats why i spent so much money on them in the first place! I just put it down to a faulty set and accepted it but now i'm not so sure.

Not happy like yourself Mars.

Anyone else bought these from Scorcher AKA Evil Ride? If so check them to see if there working properly or is it just coincidence both our sets fail in the same way?

REALLY! Interesting Mars, i still have my reciept from Paypal to confirm payment to him too, under the name of Evil Ride.

I was really peed off when i noticed and that was only 3, then after more started to fail so i just took them off and bought some dark late spec rear lights and fitted the pulse bulbs but still would've liked to keep the LEDs on as thats why i spent so much money on them in the first place! I just put it down to a faulty set and accepted it but now i'm not so sure.

Not happy like yourself Mars.

Anyone else bought these from Scorcher AKA Evil Ride? If so check them to see if there working properly or is it just coincidence both our sets fail in the same way?

I will fiddle with mines tomorrow, however, I still have my original rear clusters

Ok well let me know how you get on.

When i got my LEDs i sold my chrome originals, 1 i thought LEDs would last forever as there meant to and 2 i was never keen on the bright chrome clusters on a black car.

Anyway, as you said see if you can get them working again but i tried this and got nowhere, why should you have to after shelling out £200+ on them!!

Guys,

I have a little experiemce in this field as our company builds LED arrays for traffic signals.

The arrays are built in strings with load resistors between them. Check the string layout on the board you may just have one bad connection on the array board.( Dry joint) Make sure the board is not cracked or twisted in its mounting and look for hot spots or burns through faulty resistors.

It is a falacy that LEDs dont burn out, they do, but normally by poor circuit design or excesive heat rather than life span, do they have heat sinks on the rear. Large cluster arrays especially high output ones develop alot of heat.

Car circuits with after market LED arrays usually need a balast resistor in series with the array so the load appears the same in ther circuit.

Hope this helps

Infinity...........

Thanks for your input infinity, i get what your sayin but taking the lights apart to check this is a different story!

Its just such a bummer that they were so expensive in the first place!

• 2 weeks later...
Any luck with yours Mars?

None whatsoever. Took mine off and fiddled with the wires but the two tops rows are still not working. I am going to e-mail Evil Ride and see if there is anything they can do, as these should not fail after ten months. As an afterthought if you bought yours in September and I bought mine in October 2005 it is quite likely we were bidding against one another on eBay.

Got peed off with mine and stuck em on eBay!

They sold aswel but waiting for the buyer to pay up!

Gone back to original late spec rears now so sticking with them and the flashing brake light bulbs.

But please let me know how you get on with evil ride when you get some contact from him.