Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

No Throttle Response

Jase

I have a '97 GS300 Series I with mileage about 48,000km.

There is no throttle response and the check engine light (CEL) came on along with the VSC on and off light. The engine seems to idle perfectly (with adequate engine oil) and starting is not a problem. I checked whether it was the link between the pedal and the throttle actuator cable but it is perfectly normal. I manually press on the butterfly whilst the engine is idling and there is no rev and response.

The mechanic said the following error code is present:

P0141 - O2 or exhaust sensor?

P1120 & P1121 - Electronic throttle problem?

1) Is there an alternative from having a replacement as I'm told it'll cost about 1,000 pounds.

2) Does cleaning the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor help the problem?

3) What is the O2 or exhaust sensor and what function does it do? Is it costly to get it replaced?

I desperately need help and is there a most cost effective solution to solve the problem as I'll be selling the car.

Many thanks

Jason

O2 sensor tells the ECU how the fuel is being burnt, they're around £120 for a genuine one, can't see it being your problem though as you'd get rough running/bad fuel comsumption.

The error codes aren't right either, should be a 2 digit number.

So it doesn't rev at all??? but starts and idles fine??

Hi,

It sounds like the Throttle postion sensor and its not telling the ECU to give more fuel when the butterfly valve opens.

Chips..

Chips and Ahhh Aristo, thanks so much for the insightful info guys. Really appreciate it.

Yeh, the car starts and idles fine, but theres no throttle response. How much do you guys reckon a new Throttle Position Sensor costs? and is that a different part to the electronic throttle? The mechanic is some local chinese guy and he doesn't know the exact term like you gurus do. And I'm no better either!!!

btw, I reconfirmed the error codes with the guy and apparently I'm told they are correct!?

About the 02 sensor, I'm told there are four of them (is that correct?) and I do notice the slightly bad fuel consumption so it might be a problem as well!!

Sorry to bombard you guys with further questions

Hi,

TPS-3.jpg

In the picture its the plastic box of tricks with the wires to/from it that bolts to the side of the throttle body.

The Throttle body is the metal part in the picture,thats not the one for your car,just pictured to give you a idea of what your looking for :)

Sorry i dont know the part number for your car.Its got be to worth trying any car breakers for a secondhand one,thats the cheapest option for you.

The only help i can give you as to breakers is of one in the uk here,they post within the UK.It might be worth phoning them,you never know they might post it over to you,dont know how much it would cost though :unsure:

Swift Breakers 01903856568

Good Luck.

Chips..

Hi,

TPS-3.jpg

In the picture its the plastic box of tricks with the wires to/from it that bolts to the side of the throttle body.

The Throttle body is the metal part in the picture,thats not the one for your car,just pictured to give you a idea of what your looking for :)

Sorry i dont know the part number for your car.Its got be to worth trying any car breakers for a secondhand one,thats the cheapest option for you.

The only help i can give you as to breakers is of one in the uk here,they post within the UK.It might be worth phoning them,you never know they might post it over to you,dont know how much it would cost though :unsure:

Swift Breakers 01903856568

Good Luck.

Chips..

Thanks so much for the photo. It gives me a much better idea of what it is.

Will give the breakers a call if I can't find one throughout the yards in HK.

Many thanks mate

Jason