Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Straw Poll - Is 250 Or A4 Tdi?

Hi LOC'ers,

I'm trying to buy a used IS250 SE Auto and after a couple of months of lots of calls, very near misses and to be frank some very take it or leave it salespeople, I've arrived at the following deals....

Audi A4 TDi S-Line - Quartz Grey - 6000 miles, Feb (55) registration (£20,500)

IS 250 SE Auto, ARGENTO ICE - delivery miles, Dec (55) registration (£23,700)

both have pretty much the same spec.....but obviously the Lexus looks much nice IMHO...but the AUDI is £3k cheaper....what do you reckon?

I know that many of the people on here have experienced both cars, so I'd really appreciate some words of advice.....the money is a concern but more in the sense of 'getting a good deal' as opposed to the actual amount (hope that makes sense). I've lurked on this site for ages and read about the good stuff and the bad stuff to do with this car, some of it makes me want to go out and buy one straight away and some of it warns me to stay away (for a year at least).

Thanks!

I personally couldn't believe the quality of the IS250 when I drove one, so that would be my choice

Although did you mean to say that the A4 has the same spec, or that both have the spec you need? Cos I'm really surprised if the A4 has the same spec and is £3k cheaper :blink:

I was in a similar position and was going to get a red s-line a4 tdi untill I saw the Is 220. I thaught it looked better and was a better drive. in ireland the standard a4 is a 1.9 and pretty slow off the mark. I went for a new 220 and delighted I did, first time in 5 cars i didn't go german

I personally couldn't believe the quality of the IS250 when I drove one, so that would be my choice

Although did you mean to say that the A4 has the same spec, or that both have the spec you need? Cos I'm really surprised if the A4 has the same spec and is £3k cheaper :blink:

Thanks for the responses.....specx and OTR prices

The Audi spec as follows - 2.0 TDi multitronic, Alcantara/Leather, GSM Phone Preparation, split rear seats, tracker monitor, rear parking sensors and free 'lifeshine' protection

IS 250 SE AUTO - (I'm assuming most on this site know the spec) inc rear parking sensors

You can't compare the Petrol 2.5 to the Diesel 2.0 true....but these are the cars that I'm interested in....can someone qualify what they meant by the Audi being end of line...because when I asked the dealer they said the A4's had just had that new front grill facelift and a new model was not yet in the pipeline.....I don't believe much of what the dealers normally have to say, but that sounded reasonable.....and the price difference....

Difficult to compare, ones a Diesal and other is a petrol. If your struggling on other factors, which do you prefer the look of?

Audi salesperson said to me that on looks the Lexus is a nicer car....about the only thing he and I agreed on.....

Anyone get any comments on the overall price I managed to get on the Lexus? 23,700 OTR inc rear parking sensors? I'm not sure I got a bargain out of that one - but I have haggled hard....most dealers just stuck to their guns though cos of the supply problem...thanks

Hi LOC'ers,

I'm trying to buy a used IS250 SE Auto and after a couple of months of lots of calls, very near misses and to be frank some very take it or leave it salespeople, I've arrived at the following deals....

Audi A4 TDi S-Line - Quartz Grey - 6000 miles, Feb (55) registration (£20,500)

IS 250 SE Auto, ARGENTO ICE - delivery miles, Dec (55) registration (£23,700)

both have pretty much the same spec.....but obviously the Lexus looks much nice IMHO...but the AUDI is £3k cheaper....what do you reckon?

I know that many of the people on here have experienced both cars, so I'd really appreciate some words of advice.....the money is a concern but more in the sense of 'getting a good deal' as opposed to the actual amount (hope that makes sense). I've lurked on this site for ages and read about the good stuff and the bad stuff to do with this car, some of it makes me want to go out and buy one straight away and some of it warns me to stay away (for a year at least).

Thanks!

We're actually lucky enough to have both those cars on the drive. Mine is the Lexus 250 SE Auto and the wife's is a brand new A4 TDi. Both are nice cars but when you get in the Audi after driving the Lexus it feels and sounds like a tractor!

Subjectively, the Lexus is faster, smoother and rides better. The Audi has slightly better interior plastics and quality while the Lexus just shades it on paint finish and exterior styling. The Lexus averages 30mpg, the Audi 38mpg. Mechanically, Lexus' are more reliable and hold their value better than A4s, of which there are a glut of secondhand ones on the market. Also, the new A4 comes out Sept 2007 so that will have an effect on used values as well.

This is our 8th Audi A4 in row (wife gets a new one every 3 months) and I used to love them. I still rate them but every time I go out the door I reach for the Lexus keys now.

When I went to test drive an Audi A4 prior to buying my IS250 the sales guy said that they would replacing it next year (2006) this was a factor for not having one. I do like the look of the A4 S-line but in my eyes the Lexus beats it in every category! Plus when I specced the A4 to the same level as an IS250 SE-L with MM the A4 was about 4K more :o

If its looks you want then the IS for me would be the only option and it will still turn heads 6 months down the line

A4 S-line is better fuel economy which for me would be worth considering although 30mpg for a 2.5Lex isn't isn't to bad a dam sight better than the old IS :crybaby: and i agree with vitasoy A4s have been around too long even with the minor facelifts its still end off line

At the end of the day if it's your own cash the Lexus is better - it'll hold on to more of your money over 2-4 years. It has much much better equipment, and I believe overall it's a better proposition currently, safer and more modern. It is better VFM and has rarity value - the A4 is very common and for good reason - it is a dgood car.

Even my dealers who gad driven the A4, Merc and BMW back to back with the IS at the launch do at Mondaco commented on how surprised he was with the Audi...

I should have qualified my comments, 'cos I have quite a bit of experience of both. Forgetting the diesel v petrol debate, and the fact that people are biased on this forum (!), you need to compare like for like yourself. I'm still sitting on the fence and trying not to be biased by the forum and the Lexus product.

Like it's said, the A4 is replaced next year, so it'll shed £000's, and this was a reason why I discounted it when I went for the Lex.

Having had the A4 for 3.5 years, I have to say the Audi uses better platsics and finish inside - though dull unless you go for the wood and lighter interior colours. The Lex still has some shiny plastics, and some that look a bit "Avensis". In the A4 the SE steering makes it feel like a barge. You need the Sport/S line wheel!!

The Audi is a very thoroughly engineered car - just take one look at the door hinges for the front doors, the retaining arms are replaced with beatifully engineered spring loaded "Butterflies".

It also is cheaper to service - 22000 miles between fully synthetic services - £180 over 2 years, total £460 over 4 years (which is what mine cost me). The Lex can't compete with that.

The A4 has more rear space and a bigger boot. It has a standard spare and not a space saver (though it hardly matters). It doesn' suffer from road noise as badly as the IS (though all cars with 17/18" do suffer from road noise to a degree).

The A4 is front wheel drive, and it's handling does not feel as solid as the Lex, but the facelift version rides better then the Lexus. It's not as hard, even in S Line trim/sports suspension.

The lexus spec does not really allow you to make your car personal - if you order a new A4 you can choose what spec you want...and get upto £3000 off list. On lexus you get standard specs and the choice of wheels...MM...or Metallics paints.

Overall I don't regret buying the Lexus. It's a better overall proposition in my current situation, but you really need to make your own judgement rather than asking people on the forum. It's like confirming what you think they'll all say - "go Lexus". If you asked the question in an A4 forum, they'll all say "go Audi".

Good luck...

I pretty much agree with everything Jamboo says with perhaps the exception being the ride. Jumping from one to the other regularly I find the Lexus smooths out road imperfections better than the Audi and seems smoother on A roads and motorways. Both cars suffer to some degree from road noise although when traveling with colleagues only the road noise in the Audis has been commented on. The Lexus has virtually no wind noise whereas the Audi suffers from an excess of this around the front screen and wipers.

I've nearly had an A4 twice but would say the Lexus has the edge.

I'm a bit surprised you can't decide because the engines are SOOO different. Personally, I'd always pick 6 cyl petrol over 4 cyl diesel unless I was doing starship mileages.

I pretty much agree with everything Jamboo says with perhaps the exception being the ride. Jumping from one to the other regularly I find the Lexus smooths out road imperfections better than the Audi and seems smoother on A roads and motorways. Both cars suffer to some degree from road noise although when traveling with colleagues only the road noise in the Audis has been commented on. The Lexus has virtually no wind noise whereas the Audi suffers from an excess of this around the front screen and wipers.

Especially with the recirc off (fresh air), the Audi is noisy...

The ride depends on the tyres and wheel combo...standard 16 and 17" are Ok in the A4, the 18" Sport 5 spokes a jittery!!

Thanks for all the responses....I finally went for the Lexus and hope to pick it up mon or tues next week, why did I choose the Lex? ...all things considered when I got in the Lex my thoughts were wow....wow...wow....the Audi is a 'good' car and the deal I got was seriously tempting but at the end of the day....no wow factor....