Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Modified Rover Sd1

Fidgits

A few years back there was a roller with a 27ltr Merlin engine saw it at Santa Pod a few times came past us on the M1 doing about 150 I’m sure it was still on tick over

he had to take it of the road as RR wouldn’t let him use the grill

And I thought my memory was going :lol::lol:

A few years back there was a roller with a 27ltr Merlin engine saw it at Santa Pod a few times came past us on the M1 doing about 150 I'm sure it was still on tick over

he had to take it of the road as RR wouldn't let him use the grill

Surely he'd of just removed the grill and maye fabricated another.

The (re) build of that car is being featured in Practical Performance Car magazine.

Pity it's not a Merlin, though :)

erm.. its the same engine... the only difference is the Merlin is supercharged :winky:

Am i missing the point here?!

Someone explain it to me please..

It's all about the challenge..... sticking a Tank engine into a car and making it work, :winky:

also think of the grunt this will produce not to mention the noise..... :D

It's all about the challenge..... sticking a Tank engine into a car and making it work, :winky:

Um..................................Aeroplane engine even

Um..................................Aeroplane engine even

@Neil...... Google is your friend, don't be afraid..... :P :P :P

Meteor = TANK, no supercharger

Merlin = Plane with supercharger

:D

A few years back there was a roller with a 27ltr Merlin engine saw it at Santa Pod a few times came past us on the M1 doing about 150 I’m sure it was still on tick over

he had to take it of the road as RR wouldn’t let him use the grill

Found a link to this looks funny now but it was back in the 70's

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/vauxhall/ca...t-any-info.html :o

"The Rolls-Royce Meteor was a British tank engine developed from the Rolls-Royce Merlin aero-engine.

For tank use the Merlin had its supercharger removed and was de-rated to approx 600 bhp (447 kW). In addition, because weight-saving was not so important for a tank engine some of the Merlin's more expensive light-alloy components were replaced with cheaper components manufactured from steel."

can i just ask....if this engine produces 600bhp (as stated on wikipedia), then essentially will the guy have a car that produces 600bhp? or is there more to it than that?? i know there will be a sh!t load of torque, but besides this :yawn:

i don't see, apart from the success of the transplant, what the point of this would be (assuming i'm correct), because surely there would be much more cost effective ways to produce 600brake??

yeah, you have to bear in mind, the merlin generated about 1500bhp, take off the charger, and detune to 600bhp, your gonna end up with a hellva torquey engine - but not only that, thats a flat 600bhp, not a narrow power banded 4-pot turbo..

600bhp with no supercharger 1500 with and hes sticking 2 huge turbos on it, could be interesting if it doesnt rip the front of the car off LOL.

is there anypoint in wasting your time posting "have i missed the point" you must just sit at home trying to pass your pointless evenings