Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Problems With Total Diesel Excelium And Is220d

When picking up my IS220 last friday, my dealer warned me to better not use Total diesel as they've had 2 220's back in the garage due to problems with Total diesel.

Had something to do with the extra thingie that re-injects the exhausted air into the compressor that results in "cleaner" air (I am not an expert, and cannot explain it better than this, as English is not my native language). It causes problems when using Total.

I always use Texaco as I get my invoices from my local station, so I wouldn't know if the above is correct or not.

Had something to do with the extra thingie that re-injects the exhausted air into the compressor that results in "cleaner" air (I am not an expert, and cannot explain it better than this, as English is not my native language). It causes problems when using Total.

That would be the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) which reduces exhaust emissions by putting some of the exhaust back into the combustion process.

I've heard of people (notably on VAG engines) reducing or removing the EGR and gaining power & economy as a result.

Maybe particular additives in Total fuel don't like being burnt twice!

That would be the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) which reduces exhaust emissions by putting some of the exhaust back into the combustion process.

I've heard of people (notably on VAG engines) reducing or removing the EGR and gaining power & economy as a result.

Maybe particular additives in Total fuel don't like being burnt twice!

Time for Prolex or TDi to sell a solenoid valve for the EGR pipe? Rig it in with the ECT PWR light for a bit more oomph, switch off ECT PWR for MOT tests! :winky:

The EGR valve on diesels is part of Euro IV and it's true that it makes the engine less efficient which affects economy and performance. The upshot is it should stop all that thick black smoke billowing out the back on hard acceleration.

A chap at work has a Euro IV Volvo V50 and he's had to take the car back a few times because of problems with the EGR valve affecting the smooth running of the engine, and he doesn't use special fuels. Obviously it'a different car, but there could just be the odd niggle with these I'd be suprised if one particular type of fuel could do it.