Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Confusing Advice ! Who's Right ?

ian11

posted the other day about the leaking steering rack,found a rack but the guy at the shop "who said on sat that the 91 ls400 rack was the same as the celsior"wasnt in today and his dad says they are differant ,I was under the impression that apart from a few cosmetic changes(electrical and suspension,mines got air)the mechanicals were the same,can anyone advise please,it seems i'm going to have to remove the rack and send it away to be reconditioned,but im now wondering what other differances are there,what about wishbone's and ball joints,disk's etc,this is rapidly becoming a very comfortable quiet headache. Yours,confused .com Ian.

• 1 year later...

posted the other day about the leaking steering rack,found a rack but the guy at the shop "who said on sat that the 91 ls400 rack was the same as the celsior"wasnt in today and his dad says they are differant ,I was under the impression that apart from a few cosmetic changes(electrical and suspension,mines got air)the mechanicals were the same,can anyone advise please,it seems i'm going to have to remove the rack and send it away to be reconditioned,but im now wondering what other differances are there,what about wishbone's and ball joints,disk's etc,this is rapidly becoming a very comfortable quiet headache. Yours,confused .com Ian.

Hi Ian, I nearly bought a Celsior yesterday. Such a lovely really beautiful Car,The only thing wrong with it was that being an import it is mega expense when they go wrong.This is the problem with all personal imports not just Lexus. Some people say they are the same,but I think so.You will find many parts on Lexus slightly differant from Celesior. I wish you luck with yours Regards Don

• 1 year later...

I`m afraid DJDon is right.

I had a Toyota Master Ace Surf people carrier which is also a grey Jap import.

It failed its MOT on the ball joints, the parts ( about 6 years ago ) cost £490 ( the cheapest I could find ) imported direct from Japan.

Toyota could get them for £599 with a six week shipping time !

To put it into perspective the same year my Granada Estate also failed its MOT on ball joints...£9 yes £9 a piece to replace !

I learnt my lesson big time and got shot, grey imports may look great but when they go wrong can be a complete nightmare and a huge financial headache.