Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Problem On Second Day Of Ownership. Help!

Bought a 1991 LS400 yesterday.

Today took it for a drive- all quiet smooth and fast.

Took it out this evening to show friend how quiet smooth and fast it was. And it wasnt.

It was noisy and slow.

started it up and turned the steering wheel, and it made a really loud humming noise. The steering wheel still seemed nice and light, but was very noisy when i turned it, and was making a steady quiet humming when it wasnt being turned.

Anyway, pulled out of the drive and thought i would put my foot down hoping the higher engine speed would make a difference, and there seemed to be no power. Engine still quiet and smooth but it was like putting your foot down in 5th gear at 40mph in a manual. It picked up very slowly.

HELP! please dont tell me the car is dying already.

ps its had a recently new power steering pump.

Bought a 1991 LS400 yesterday.

Today took it for a drive- all quiet smooth and fast.

Took it out this evening to show friend how quiet smooth and fast it was. And it wasnt.

It was noisy and slow.

started it up and turned the steering wheel, and it made a really loud humming noise. The steering wheel still seemed nice and light, but was very noisy when i turned it, and was making a steady quiet humming when it wasnt being turned.

Anyway, pulled out of the drive and thought i would put my foot down hoping the higher engine speed would make a difference, and there seemed to be no power. Engine still quiet and smooth but it was like putting your foot down in 5th gear at 40mph in a manual. It picked up very slowly.

HELP! please dont tell me the car is dying already.

ps its had a recently new power steering pump.

Did you buy it from the trade? there are laws and regulations governing sales of used cars and the sooner you get it back to them the stronger your case, I would immediately make the sellers aware of the issue, if you purchased it privately it may be worth contacting them to see if has happened before however legally I do not believe there is any regulations covering private sales, you could be lucky and have purchased it from someone who cares, either way I would contact the seller asap.

Bought it privately from a lovely guy that had obviously taken care of it. It is immaculate inside and out, has a full lexus service history upto 150,000 miles. Is now due a B service at its current 156,000 miles. the guy even changed the timing belt and power steering pump just before he sold it.

Rang him and he said he had never had a problem, and i believe him. He even rang his mechanic and got back to me with suggestions as to what it might be.

Anyway i topped up the power steering fluid and the power steering seems better (although not silent, and i think its not as light as it was before). Amazing thing is is that the power seems to be back- the car feels fast again! HOW?? Someone please explain??

Bought it privately from a lovely guy that had obviously taken care of it. It is immaculate inside and out, has a full lexus service history upto 150,000 miles. Is now due a B service at its current 156,000 miles. the guy even changed the timing belt and power steering pump just before he sold it.

Rang him and he said he had never had a problem, and i believe him. He even rang his mechanic and got back to me with suggestions as to what it might be.

Anyway i topped up the power steering fluid and the power steering seems better (although not silent, and i think its not as light as it was before). Amazing thing is is that the power seems to be back- the car feels fast again! HOW?? Someone please explain??

Glad you purchased from an honest owner it does give some peace of mind, the only similar issue I have had with noise on the steering was on our Jaguar XJ8 it developed a leak in the pas oil cooler which caused it to drop oil which caused a groaning in steering but it didn't affect the power though, sorry I cannot be more help on this one, I have seen others in the forum suggesting taking a look at the US forum as they seem to be more popular there and there is far more technical help available.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Go to the US Club, they have faced smilar problems with the steering. It could be the pump or valve inside the pump, as well as gunk in the rack solenoild. It means you need for the least to flush the power steering system. Seafoam is a good chemical to do so. There is another product called No-Leak power steering that is pretty good to reseal the system once you have it all cleaned and changed the parts. All hydraulic systems tend to leak, no matter if it is a Lex a plane or sub.

C. PR

Glad you purchased from an honest owner it does give some peace of mind, the only similar issue I have had with noise on the steering was on our Jaguar XJ8 it developed a leak in the pas oil cooler which caused it to drop oil which caused a groaning in steering but it didn't affect the power though, sorry I cannot be more help on this one, I have seen others in the forum suggesting taking a look at the US forum as they seem to be more popular there and there is far more technical help available.

Good luck