Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Available What To Do

I think you might be suffering because of high demand for the new IS. I was in Lexus Manchester today and they had a car in the showroom which was frankly stunning. It was a new IS250 in silver, lovely light grey interior and a serious set of smoked 18" alloys. The sales chap said it would be gone by the weekend and seeing as I was talking to him about a '03 IS200 I had no reason to doubt him.

The question that has not been asked to this point is how much discount was applied to your original order Infinity? If it's a lot then I can see what the dealer is saying, the car they have can probably be sold for full whack and it's higher specced than yours, so they're going to do that and make you wait for your order!

The original deal saw Lexus take my slightly scrached and minor dented 43000mile 51/02 Black IS200 Sport for a pretty good px (Mid Book Price)and got about 4% off the price of a new 250SEL MM. So i think i managed to get an ok deal.

The £1200.00 is the upgrade price from 17 to 18" only you dont get to keep the 17"s aswell

One thing to note is, on the Lexus web page, pre-owned vehicles section there are 06 cars the same spec as i have ordered (different colours) for sale with between 4k and 7k on the clock for £1500 more than i will pay for mine new when it eventually arrives. That is a premium of about £5000 after you take the VAT off. That has to be the best premium on a UK sold car in the past 5 years. Since the launch of the BMW Mini

Those of you with new or nearly new auto IS250SEL's are really sitting pretty.

I am NOT prepared to offer the dealer anything for the larger wheels, he should be offering me the deal although we all know thats unlikley to happen. And if i were to want 18's on the car, i like the Hoshi wheels better than the Baransu's which are fitted.

Are LEXUS UK deliberatly limiting uk imports to hold up the re-sale value and prevent dealer discounting.

Infinatly more annoyed than last Friday.........

Car dealers are pretty cute when it comes to assessing peoples moods.

You may have unwittingly given the impression that you are eager to get your hands on a IS250 as early as possible, even if it's not the spec you ordered.

The dealer maybe has noted this, and is going down the lines of, 'if we stand firm then we know he will cave in and pay the extra because he's eager'. This extra they are getting will help offset the earlier discount agreed.

I agree with the others and I would tell them that the current deal is right at the top of your budget and you cannot afford or justify the extra £1200.

The best way to tackle this is with a calm visit to the showroom, ask if there is any change in deal, and then just simply say, OK, see you in October and walk. I don't think I would threaten cancelling if it's a car you are really keen on, biting off nose etc.

I think you might be suffering because of high demand for the new IS. I was in Lexus Manchester today and they had a car in the showroom which was frankly stunning. It was a new IS250 in silver, lovely light grey interior and a serious set of smoked 18" alloys. The sales chap said it would be gone by the weekend and seeing as I was talking to him about a '03 IS200 I had no reason to doubt him.

The question that has not been asked to this point is how much discount was applied to your original order Infinity? If it's a lot then I can see what the dealer is saying, the car they have can probably be sold for full whack and it's higher specced than yours, so they're going to do that and make you wait for your order!

The original deal saw Lexus take my slightly scrached and minor dented 43000mile 51/02 Black IS200 Sport for a pretty good px (Mid Book Price)and got about 4% off the price of a new 250SEL MM. So i think i managed to get an ok deal.

The £1200.00 is the upgrade price from 17 to 18" only you dont get to keep the 17"s aswell

One thing to note is, on the Lexus web page, pre-owned vehicles section there are 06 cars the same spec as i have ordered (different colours) for sale with between 4k and 7k on the clock for £1500 more than i will pay for mine new when it eventually arrives. That is a premium of about £5000 after you take the VAT off. That has to be the best premium on a UK sold car in the past 5 years. Since the launch of the BMW Mini

I am NOT prepared to offer the dealer anything for the larger wheels, he should be offering me the deal although we all know thats unlikley to happen. And if i were to want 18's on the car, i like the Hoshi wheels better than the Baransu's which are fitted.

Are LEXUS UK deliberatly limiting uk imports to hold up the re-sale value and prevent dealer discounting.

Hi Infinity,

Can you help me with my arithmetic? You said that 06 cars with miles on the clock were dearer by £1500 than your new SEL MM. If you got a 4% discount this must be around £1200. Where am I going wrong??

Did you get a much better discount??

Tom

All dealers are tricky. If anyone happen to haggle hard and get very heavy discount, make sure that you add additional condition of delivery date that you can use against them. Otherwise they will keep putting the date further and further, that you end up getting no car or years later. They occasionally use the heavy discount order for the full whack buyer near the delivery.

For Infinity, you must justify yourself how much discount you've got and whether you will get the car without adding more money to your order. The dealer might be trying to compensate for their lost by adding more option for extra money.

Guys - don't get sucked into the prices you see in the showroom, or what the dealers say about demand.

I Managed to get £1147 off mine on a deal negotiated in December 2005. It was at the time one of the largest discounts anyone on LOC had got, and I didn't have to barter or anything. This was on the diesel which hadn't even been launched...and one month after the petrol was launched...

All I did was quote "www.drivethedeal.co.uk" - the busiess manager checked it whilst I was there on the net and matched it, no questions!! They even agreed to take my Pex in early to give me a better price, so deals are there for the taking.

So a pre-reg with £1500 off is not necessarily a good deal. That's just the base to start from.

Go in there and push for a figure of what the list price is 'minus' at least 10% - so for an SE-L thats less than £27500.

Incidentally, on the drivethedeal.co.uk, an IS250 SE-L, with Auto and Satnav is currently discounted by - £2607 - just over 8%. With more bargaining, it'll go up even further, especially if it's been knocking around in the showroom for a while.

An SE-L without MM but with Auto and metallic is discounted by just over £2300.

And my car is now discounted by £2266 on the same web site (IS220d SE, MM and Metallic).

Many of the dealers do supply via Drivethedeal, so are humbled into discounting and giving you a pex!

PS - this is why I think they should give you those wheels!!! I have never really trusted dealers, they are there to make as much out of you as possible, and I would strongly suggest that you haggle hard (aftrall this is rip off britain).

Hi Infinity,

Can you help me with my arithmetic? You said that 06 cars with miles on the clock were dearer by £1500 than your new SEL MM. If you got a 4% discount this must be around £1200. Where am I going wrong??

Did you get a much better discount??

Tom

Tom,

If you take the retail price plus vat of a Auto SEL MM selling at £31710 take off about 4% down to £30,500

Lexus are selling pre-owned Auto SEL MM,s for £31995 with 4k on the clock. Now as the car is used, you dont pay VAT so take 17.5% off the original retail price and the difference is the premium. My maths says

£5835 ish. THATS A F :tsktsk: G BIG PREMIUM.

Still no word from the dealer.

On delivery dates, ordered on 7th April and started with a date of June/July, then last month i was given a confirmed delivery date of 16th Aug which i asked to be defered until the 1st Sept, now after the dealer offered me the car with 18 inch wheels for more money, which i have not accepted. The date has slipped again until possibly the end of October, with no confirmed date then.

My patients is wearing thin

I'm not surprised...my patience was wearing thin even though my date didn't slip!! No one would guarantee a delivery date, something I think you have the right to get if you're spending this sort of cash. This happened until 6 days before my car was delivered, causing me to rush my finance, insurance etc at the last minute. surely it can't be that hard...

I wasn't trying to rush them - i just wanted to know when it would arrive.

No matter what we say about BMW and the product, their ordering system is miles ahead. My local had web access to the factory and could track the order, production and delivery. I saw the system, it was impressive, and real time. he showed this to me for several cars that were in production, exactly what stage they were at, and a guaranteed delivery date.

I know germany is not as far japan, but they must now know how long it takes to get a car over, and even if it's not exact they should be able to get the daily updates from the cargo ship back to factory, who tell the dealers???

Is that too simple?

PS - you're not alone - I know eunos800 has the same issues - I believe his car is supposed to be being delivered end of July (after some delays...)...he ordered way back start of the year (shortly after me).

PPS - I also believe that some dealers will sell your order for more money, and expect you to take 2nd best. This openly happened to me (dealer accidental admission) when I bought an Astra in 1990...I never bought another VX again!

Isnt a dealer of Lexus reputation supposed to be above such underhand dealings.

Think i'll start a new topic

How long have you been waiting and how many differnt delivery dates.

Hopefully Lexus are listening or soon the may have may more cancelled orders.

Isnt a dealer of Lexus reputation supposed to be above such underhand dealings.

Think i'll start a new topic

How long have you been waiting and how many differnt delivery dates.

Hopefully Lexus are listening or soon the may have may more cancelled orders.

Well if people cancel then more will become available and those waiting will get their cars sooner...

Seriously, I think the problem is that BMW and Audi largely build to order - there is a build slot programmed to go through the factory and your individual spec is put onto that slot so you or the dealer can track it through to delivery. That slot may be a 12 week delivery schedule but you can pretty much guarantee that it is yours and you can plan for it.

I may be wrong but the way Lexus seem to work is that they predict a mix of colours and specs that they feel will be popular and then plan production. The actual sales mix is then fed back to the factory and the production fine tuned to meet the actual demand. This does mean, however, that when a particular specification proves to be inordinately popular e.g autos and MM, they quickly build up a backlog that takes some time to clear.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links