Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Extreme Tyre Wear

Mr Singh

steeringwheel%20003.jpg

steeringwheel%20004.jpg

4000 miles, £700 of tyres flushed down the drain.

Thats the price you pay for being slammed

Just ordered some Falken FK-452s though, much cheaper @ £450 a set, will be going to 265/30/19s on the rear this time :)

Wow, that wear is almost on the side of the tyre :blink:

Does that mean that there's much less grip with that setup as the tyre's not making the best contact with the road?

Wow, that wear is almost on the side of the tyre :blink:

Does that mean that there's much less grip with that setup as the tyre's not making the best contact with the road?

Yup it does, maybe Tony can fill in the gaps, but at a guess in a straight line its not such a biggie, but in corners it drags the load onto the edges?

From that pick you have two problems......

1/ camber wear

2/ rubbing on the suspension

how you going to sort the rubbing if you go wider?

1/ Hell yeh i do, -3.5deg of cam all round... Major catch 22 scenario... I install Cusco arms up front to increase the camber back to a more satisfactory -1-1.5 deg cam (Ikeayas on the rear) But this will mean the tyre wall is much closer to the arch lip, thus i would have to raise the front at least (not gonna happen anytime soon :lol:)

2/ I have wondered this theory myself, after close inspection i can't find any traces of fouling anywhere, but i was left convinced it is rubbing somewhere.

I do have 7mm spacers on the front, So this theory wouldn't make sense as if it were rubbing, now with spacers it would have more clearence.

I will try paint with some key areas in tipex where it could be rubbing, just not able to see any rubbing what so ever!

This is gonna hurt team LOC so are you ready :unsure:

When a car is lowered the parallelograms obviously become nearer, this belays the camber curve suggesting a more consistent driven position, but this is not without consequence, namely the dynamic position of the camber.

On the front tyres there is a predicted footprint and within that footprint falls the 'Scrub radius'. Within that area all the Geometry activity is balanced.

If like in this case the car is so low the Scrub radii is outside of the tyres centre by about 20mm compounded by the spacers.... Then camber position as a point of contact is incorrect deforming the tyre elastically accelerating conical compression on the inside of the tyres generating a massive level of traction...... Great for race days...Bad for the road.

The solution is to remove the negative camber.... this will naturally lift the upper parallelogram of the car without intervention at the suspension, small manufactured adjustments with the Toe and indirect at the Castor would (reduce) the rate of wear.

Super... I hope the angle being recovered (Cam) won't cause greater interferance with the arch lip... Tyres are well tucked...

I also noticed tyre pressure was only 29Psi which can't of helped... Well they have been sat since last october for the winter..

Hi,

I cant really believe how your tyres have worn like that!!!! theres not a Emoticon on the smiles with eyes wide open im truely shocked!! how the tyres have worn :ohmy::ohmy:

Im keeping a eye on my tyres since ive had it lowered and i prey the tyre wears not going to be that bad :ohmy:

Chips..

Super... I hope the angle being recovered (Cam) won't cause greater interferance with the arch lip... Tyres are well tucked...

I also noticed tyre pressure was only 29Psi which can't of helped... Well they have been sat since last october for the winter..

No it won't.... as the camber is moved toward positive the parallelogram will naturally lift the car.... Remember the camber curve remains the same + - a smidgen

Few guys over the pond suggested i have Toe issues more so than Camber.

I've noticed vehicle with such a negative, their toe tends to get out of spec easily. I don't know the reasoning behind this but just my observation with my 2 years of experience doing alignment. The BMW for instance, 5 series especially, they are pretty negative in the rear and they always come in with major toe difference. But in my opinion, I don't think you are wearing because of camber but more of toe issues. The signs that are telling me this is;

1. the minor feathering, camber shouldn't cause feathering on the shoulders like that, it's either belt seperations or excessive toe. But it's most likely toe because belt seperations on 2 tires at the same time is unlikely, but possible.

2. camber wear normally wears down a great portion of the tire. I would say about half the width of that tire should be worn down and a great portion of the outside should also be worn. I use to do my alignment almost twice a month because of the bad roads in Boston and MA just to keep my toe in spec. My toe is in spec mostly all of the time and I am running a -1.8 in the back and a -1.2 up front in camber. With my 275 tire in the back I would say about 100mm of that was worn down.

Quoted from Eminence from IS.net

Few guys over the pond suggested i have Toe issues more so than Camber.
I've noticed vehicle with such a negative, their toe tends to get out of spec easily. I don't know the reasoning behind this but just my observation with my 2 years of experience doing alignment. The BMW for instance, 5 series especially, they are pretty negative in the rear and they always come in with major toe difference. But in my opinion, I don't think you are wearing because of camber but more of toe issues. The signs that are telling me this is;

1. the minor feathering, camber shouldn't cause feathering on the shoulders like that, it's either belt seperations or excessive toe. But it's most likely toe because belt seperations on 2 tires at the same time is unlikely, but possible.

2. camber wear normally wears down a great portion of the tire. I would say about half the width of that tire should be worn down and a great portion of the outside should also be worn. I use to do my alignment almost twice a month because of the bad roads in Boston and MA just to keep my toe in spec. My toe is in spec mostly all of the time and I am running a -1.8 in the back and a -1.2 up front in camber. With my 275 tire in the back I would say about 100mm of that was worn down.

Quoted from Eminence from IS.net

I disagree.. Toe is lateral and involves the entire tread area, the visibility of damage is dependant on the level of displacement... Camber is a silent killer, conical deformation accentuating violent wear in a confined area, usually about 10% of the total tyre width like yours.

What is the Camber on the back of the Monster Mat? I'm assuming the lesser camber i.e. -3.5 Vs say -2.0 would make my tyre wear more progressive over a wider span?

Someone else has also just suggesting i have bad Toe :lol:

What is the Camber on the back of the Monster Mat? I'm assuming the lesser camber i.e. -3.5 Vs say -2.0 would make my tyre wear more progressive over a wider span?

Someone else has also just suggesting i have bad Toe :lol:

Yes it would... lift the camber, distribute the load evenly, then a more even pattern of wear would evolve..... The toe suggestion was sincere, albeit uneducated in resolve, sincere nevertheless.... i respect that :winky: