Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just Gone Wireless At Home

Damer

Just set up new wireless internet access at home. All working and even got my PSP to find the LOC web site! :D

Though quicker to type on proper key board.

I've just got rid of my naff Netgear 128 834GT. Boy it was so naff!!! 11 months of trouble - replaced under warranty for a Linksys.

The wireless kept dropping everytime you walked near it!!

My new Linksys WAG54GS Speed Booster is just sooooo much more reliable. 2 Days and not dropped the connection once. The Netgear would have dropped at least 20 times...

And yes, the PSP works well off it -

Damer - what make router did you go for?

I've just got rid of my naff Netgear 128 834GT. Boy it was so naff!!! 11 months of trouble - replaced under warranty for a Linksys.

My new Linksys WAG54GS Speed Booster is just sooooo much more reliable. 2 Days and not dropped the connection once. The Netgear would have dropped at least 20 times...

Jamboo, I too had two Netgears from PC world that just kept dropping the connection. Funnily enough every time I go to a PCWorld someone seems to be returning a Netgear Router :o

In the end a Linksys WAG54G was recommended to me and in the 12 months I've had it I can't think of a time when the connection has dropped. Very reliable. :D

I have gone for the BT Home hub thingy. Only problem so far is that the BT Home Hub phones are out of stock for 6-8 week, however they did give us a new cordless digital as compensation which we get to keep even after the new phone arrives.

Jamboo, I too had two Netgears from PC world that just kept dropping the connection. Funnily enough every time I go to a PCWorld someone seems to be returning a Netgear Router :o

In the end a Linksys WAG54G was recommended to me and in the 12 months I've had it I can't think of a time when the connection has dropped. Very reliable. :D

LinkSys all the way :D

Although I also use a Netgear 834G which has been fine...

Strange that.. I had nothing but trouble with Linksys.. so went and bought Netgear which has been sweet ever since.

Been through 2 Linksys wireless routers to. Hope the Netgear one holds up

Netgear were incompetent with the DG834GT, it's the worst bit of hardware I've ever come across (not literally!)

Know a few people with the DG834G and that was great, but the GT was never fit for release!

Looking to replace mine as it's been down probably five months out of six!

Netgear were incompetent with the DG834GT, it's the worst bit of hardware I've ever come across (not literally!)

Know a few people with the DG834G and that was great, but the GT was never fit for release!

Looking to replace mine as it's been down probably five months out of six!

Try the Linksys WAG54GS matey - works absolutely perfect, but always get it from somewhere you can easily take it back to. PCW aren't the cheapest, or the most knoweldgeable, but at least they take returns - even after 11 months!!

The firewall is not as good as the Netgears, so make sure you run Zonealarm or something else...

I'm sure it's something to do with what type of TV's, radios, etc you run, whether you're close to pylons and the like...or your router is near a radiator...so many things make the experience mixed and different for everyone!!

PS - I now realise that you can have a reliable wireless network at home...

see now i wouldnt touch linksys or netgear with a pole. Belkin on the other hand i love.... either that or Proxim :D :D :D bit pricy tho

i have had my belkin for 6 months no dropped connections (none that are the routers fault, that will teach me for buying cheap wifi cards)

My belkin pre-n router and pre-n adapter work really well. We have the main family PC hard wired to the router and use the wireless for my daughters PC, my palm organiser and a friends laptop when she brings it round. The only issue I had was not being able to use WPA security without upgrading my daughters PC to XP. (Using a standard belkin adapter with the pre-n router the signal strength wasn't so good either and it did drop the connection sometimes.)

It's pretty cool being able to do things like use messenger from my palm in the kitchen to tell my daughter that dinner is ready B)

Try the Linksys WAG54GS matey - works absolutely perfect, but always get it from somewhere you can easily take it back to. PCW aren't the cheapest, or the most knoweldgeable, but at least they take returns - even after 11 months!!

The firewall is not as good as the Netgears, so make sure you run Zonealarm or something else...

I'm sure it's something to do with what type of TV's, radios, etc you run, whether you're close to pylons and the like...or your router is near a radiator...so many things make the experience mixed and different for everyone!!

PS - I now realise that you can have a reliable wireless network at home...

Gonna go with the Billion mate, they're tried and tested with the DSLAM's that UKO are using for ADSL2+ - I just wish I could get something that was as reliable as my old Efficient Networks 5861- ok it's not consumer grade hardware but that thing was an absolute rock!

Yeah a lot of kit uses the 2.4Ghz range as it's unlicensed if I remember correctly, video senders and the like can be fatal for 802.11b & g - a is better as the spectrum isn't as widely used but then again it can be harder to get that kit as pretty much everything supports 802.11b

I use Kismac to analyse the situation at home, the Windows version is Kismet - if you've got a supported card then you can get a lot of good info off that, then I use some apple diagnostics software to monitor the db level on each channel, some are stronger than others and you reduce the risk of interference from other networks, it's a nightmare round here living on a new estate, I can see over 10 wireless networks some days!