Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Justice Not Done - Grrrrrrr

tdiplc

To cut a long story short, earlier this year I assisted in the arrest of a filthy smack head thief after a Police car chase and then a chase on foot outside my house and in the park opposite.

Was quite exciting as I was on my own going after him (the coppers went off in the wrong direction), there was a police helicopter over head, and area cars swarming everywhere, I had to commandeer someones mobile phone to call 999 to tell the Feds where we were etc.

Eventually a copper found us and I had to help restrain the vermin becasue he wasn't too interested in being arrested.

His car was abandoned outside my house (doors open, engine still running), and was full of crack cocaine and assciated filth and paraphanalia.

Anyway, I just received a letter from the CPS saying that the vermin is pleading "not guilty" which means that I have to attend the Court to act as a Witness :sad:

I don't mind doing my bit to help the community and protect the vulnerable etc, but I really don't want to be wasting my time in court :( . He is bang to rights - no question - so why can't he plead guilty?

Look on the bright side.....he pleads guilty and gets convicted they will come down hard on him. Ont he worryingly other side...maybe he he's pleading guilty on technicality. :crybaby:

I'm sorry Mark?

Are you suggesting we should do away with the court system altogether - that if the police think they have you 'bang to rights', then you should go straight to jail, do not pass Go, do not have a right to a defence?

I understand your sentiment - but the justice system is there for a reason, i mean, imagine if you could be sent to jail for excessive speeding, not based on any evidence, but simply because there is an officer of the law on these forums that knows you have driven well above the speed limit...

and besides, him pleading not guilty will mean he will get a worse sentance (although knowing this country, that means 10 hours CS rather than 5) than if he had just owned up...

Mark,

I know what you mean by 'bang to rights' as you saw it with your own eyes ....... despite what Ian thinks.

I wouldn't worry too much either, 'usually' they go not guilty so that when it goes to court they just hope that someone doesn't turn up .... police officer, witness etc ... then they get off with it !

Usually when every one turns up at court after they have gone not guilty ... they think of fu*K it ... everyone is here ... I might as well plead guilty now ! :angry:

I'm sorry Mark?

Are you suggesting we should do away with the court system altogether - that if the police think they have you 'bang to rights', then you should go straight to jail, do not pass Go, do not have a right to a defence?

I understand your sentiment - but the justice system is there for a reason, i mean, imagine if you could be sent to jail for excessive speeding, not based on any evidence, but simply because there is an officer of the law on these forums that knows you have driven well above the speed limit...

and besides, him pleading not guilty will mean he will get a worse sentance (although knowing this country, that means 10 hours CS rather than 5) than if he had just owned up...

I meant that because there is irrefutable evidence against him, that any denial of guilt is a pointless waste of time and resources (unless he is hoping that the Feds make a procedural mistake and he may get off on a legal technicality).

I understand that Mark... but the fact is, he is allowed to argue, and as i said, pleading not guilty will probably mean a longer sentance...

as for you SF - well i'd expect more from a police officer...

I understand that Mark... but the fact is, he is allowed to argue, and as i said, pleading not guilty will probably mean a longer sentance...

I understand that he is allowed to argue. But at the moment I don't really see what he can argue about. Do you mean that he can argue that it wasn't him?

Surely all you have done is detail him, so what have you witnessed? A police chase?

With regards to the drugs and any othe offences the police don't need you. Tell them that.

To be honest Steve, I don't really know what they need me for. Apparently they have the finger print and dna evidence placing him at the scenes, so what value little old me will have as a Witness - I have no idea. I certainly don't want to be involved - I've done my bit.

I understand that he is allowed to argue. But at the moment I don't really see what he can argue about. Do you mean that he can argue that it wasn't him?

im not saying he's not an idiot if the evidence is against him...

just that he has the legal right in this country to plead guilty to the charges laid before him and have a trial...

That was a brave thing to do Mark but some may say stupid also! That guy could have been carrying a knife, used needles or anything on him!!

If he was that coked off his head he could have been liable to do anything!

Nothing is worth losing your life over Mark! especially a scumbag!

just that he has the legal right in this country to plead guilty to the charges laid before him and have a trial...

Yes, rightly so ....... and what a fantastic judicial system we have in this country ............ :angry: :tsktsk:

im not saying he's not an idiot if the evidence is against him...

I agree with you entirely in concept. What annoys me in this case is that there is no doubt that he is guilty of robbery, motoring offences, resisting arrest, drug abuse etc, but he is still pleading "not guilty" which is going to adversely affect me and quite a few other people.

In my mind, if you choose to break the law you should be prepared to suffer the consequences.

That was a brave thing to do Mark but some may say stupid also! That guy could have been carrying a knife, used needles or anything on him!!

Yes I agree. I'm a family man with 3 kids, so that was on mind. I have a reasonable amount of disarmament skills but I would still choose to do a runner if confronted with a blade (given a choice). In this case it was the Copper that took most of the risk as I merely assisted.

marks a hard ba$tard :shruriken:

Yes, rightly so ....... and what a fantastic judicial system we have in this country ............ :angry: :tsktsk:

Couldnt agree more (read my first post) but the fact remains... we have due process...

and i wouldnt say we should forgo that process in any case - you have the right to legal defence, and the police have to prove beyond doubt that you are guilty of the crimes you are charged with...

If we didnt have that, even for a thing as obvious as this, well, we may as well move to China where you can be put to death for speaking out of turn..

If we didnt have that, even for a thing as obvious as this, well, we may as well move to China where you can be put to death for speaking out of turn..

Without taking Mark's post OT too much .... that system would be great for a lot of the pond life in London ........ and that would for sure solve the crime figures big time .......... but hey, I'm in a biased opionion because I deal with the sh*t everyday ..... and not in the same way anyone here does !

Firstly I think you're more brave then stupid - I might have tackled the g1t too if he was less then 5 foot tall...too many sumbags out and about.

Secondly, I suspect he'll argue he was under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol and will get a solicitor who'll try and get him off on some technicality of "Diminished responsibility".

He'll have an arms length of violations in this one incident, speeding, carrying narcotics, possibly a stolen car, evading arrest etc etc, so he may just be pleading not guilty on some of them only.

Good luck - too many hoodlums out there. They should just teach them to play football instead!!

mark- glad you caught the crack head, but the way things happen today dont be suprised if he walks free with a fine and community service or a few months prison term.

hope it goes well and you dont waste too nuch time in court