Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice Appreciated

Rob's Lexx

well i've had a bit of brake squeal for a while now but its been put down to the composite of the pads because they have been re-greased, etc etc and no other problems can be found.

however, just recently i've noticed that when braking at slower speeds (circa 20 mph) i hear what seems to be a 'clunk' type noise coming from the front i think :yawn: sometimes this noise can be felt as vibration through the brake pedal (only sometimes!!).

does anybody have any ideas as to what could be causing this??

cheers in advance

rob

i have exactly the same problem mate, i keep meaning to take it to the lexus/local garage at weekend but never get round to it.

only had my MOT a couple of weeks ago so i assume its not that serious.

im glad im not the only one with this :hehe:, with the breaks i get it as you say not all the time, but i can only descripe the vibration as a popping effect.

my clunk comes fron the front drivers side arch by the sounds of it, i intially though it was lower ball joints or sticking calliper because of the vibration but im not sure!

i have exactly the same problem mate, i keep meaning to take it to the lexus/local garage at weekend but never get round to it.

only had my MOT a couple of weeks ago so i assume its not that serious.

im glad im not the only one with this :hehe:, with the breaks i get it as you say not all the time, but i can only descripe the vibration as a popping effect.

my clunk comes fron the front drivers side arch by the sounds of it, i intially though it was lower ball joints or sticking calliper because of the vibration but im not sure!

dont see how this could be ball joints :duh:

i've thought about the sticking caliper but really not sure

yeh thats what i thought, but ive also noticed i sometimes get the clunk if i turn the steering wheel from one extreme to the other when stationary, ie full lock to the left then full lock to the right.

it also seems to have become more occurant (is that even a word , lol) since the weather has warmed up, maybe thats just coincidence. the brakes have become alot more squeeky aswel.

pads shifting in the calipers....nothing to worry about

this likely to be the most obvious cause or could it be something more serious IYO??

do all pads do this or are the mintex ones a lot better in preventing this??

Mine do this in the Tubby all the time while the brakes are cold. Don't let it worry you

cheers mat/mike.

@mike, brakes were bloomin baking last night and it was still doing it!!!!

they do it on the IS all the time, just worn slides ...nothing to worry about

Mine do this too, but mainly only after the brakes have warmed up and mainly when I turn into corners while still braking slightly. Sound like the same thing?

Mine do this too, but mainly only after the brakes have warmed up and mainly when I turn into corners while still braking slightly. Sound like the same thing?

i think so mate, mine are the same especially when pulling onto the drive or into a parking bay, thats why i thought it could be the ball joints.

what can be done to prevent it?

mine have been doing it for ages, had a service last week and told them about it, they couldn't find anything at all.

As Mat said pads moving in calipers...alot of people with IS's seem to have asked the same question, nothing to worry about, a temp fix seems to be some copper grease between the caliper and pad, but only a temp fix, it'l start up again.

If you get a loud exhaust you can't hear the creaks :)

I agree, had the same squeeling noise for the past 8 months kept getting it checked and got the same answer "its fine". then got the MOT done and found out that the front driver side wheel was actually seized up. It turned out my calipar had seized and caused all the problems. In the end I got a new calipar (well from the breakers yard) new disks and brake pads. It turned out to be costly (very) in the end.

So much for the so called "professional advice" I was getting.

ACID TEST: jack up the car from where the brake noise is coming from and turn the wheel if it is free and turns then you have no problems, If however the wheel does not turn and feels like the brakes have been applied then the calipar has failed and change immediately.

Hope this helps