Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Have You Ever Been Caravaning

chips229

Have You Ever Been Caravaning?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Have You Ever Been Caravaning or Towed one?

• YES
    • NO

Forced upon me as a child. Never again as long as I live :sick:

used to tow caravan regular till wifes health stopped us using it. 23ft tourer.before you have a go, i never caused holdups of traffic behind me.Audi 100, Rover 827si(honda engine ), nice fast towcars

Hi,

Where i used to work i had to do two trips each with twin axle caravans,the motor i used for towing was a Turbo diesel Range Rover.Great bit of kit after a while you could nearly forget there was a caravan on the back :D

Chips..

I voted no...

Irish caravanners seem to be a very laid back sort of individual who doesn't realise that some of use would actually like to drive abit faster than he is dictating .......

Have seen a few close calls caused by caravanners building up frustration behind them .....

Wonder how many of them have actually done a driving exam for pulling a trailer?

Yep, have done for 12 years. Around 20 weekends every year, then most years 2 weeks in Cornwall or France, Arcachon (near Bordeaux) this year, this thursday week we're off.

I have to agree with Dave1 above, use a good car, drive sensibly, you dont hold anyone up. Honda 827 - what a missile, I had one for 2 years!!!

Trouble usually comes from the people pulling out in front of you - "Gotta pull out in front of this caravan - he might hold me up" they dont realise - LS400 around 1.75 tons, caravan around 1500 kilos, unit length around 40 feet - you wouldnt pull out in front of an artic that size now would you............

Stayed in static ones on holiday as a kid and one that was delivered to site for us about 3 years ago. Never towed one. A week in that one with my own kids, fetching water, rebuilding beds every night etc was enough to put me off staying in one again.

Perhaps if towed by a powerful enough car then they don't cause hold-ups but unfortunately most caravanners don't seem to have worked that one out.

Setting fire to caravans is the best thing for them.

Another side

I think that the biggest problem with caravans is the perception of them. There are not that many of them (honestly!!!) and have a think back, do you get held up more by artics (and the remnants of their accidents) or caravans?

The caravan fraternity is an easy one to take a pop at because (in the main), they are not (cannot be) roaring around in the latest whatever with big wheels and stripes, they are most likely to be middle aged and older with their speeding years behind them. If they do drive other faster things when they are not towing then they are not caravanners at that point!!!!

Admittedly there are some (like any other group of people that you could mention) that give them a bad name by holding up traffic, you just dont notice the ones that dont!

Programs like Top Gear get great mileage from doing all sorts of things with caravans because they get no feedback, try doing the same to lorry drivers that cause a lot more mayhem on the roads in percentage terms, and he would soon get a wakeup call and probably a visit from a few drivers!!

My 2p as an avid caravanner

Still do, holiday aswell as towing, don't use mine though, use an old style 2.3 granda for towing with. Good torque when climbing hills etc..... Mostly go to Snainton in Yorkshire for a couple of weeks with the CC

Another side

I think that the biggest problem with caravans is the perception of them. There are not that many of them (honestly!!!) and have a think back, do you get held up more by artics (and the remnants of their accidents) or caravans?

The caravan fraternity is an easy one to take a pop at because (in the main), they are not (cannot be) roaring around in the latest whatever with big wheels and stripes, they are most likely to be middle aged and older with their speeding years behind them. If they do drive other faster things when they are not towing then they are not caravanners at that point!!!!

Admittedly there are some (like any other group of people that you could mention) that give them a bad name by holding up traffic, you just dont notice the ones that dont!

Programs like Top Gear get great mileage from doing all sorts of things with caravans because they get no feedback, try doing the same to lorry drivers that cause a lot more mayhem on the roads in percentage terms, and he would soon get a wakeup call and probably a visit from a few drivers!!

My 2p as an avid caravanner

I agree with what your saying,id say empty horse box trailers being towed are the main pain in the back side of the roads!! Fair enough when theres animals in them then yep take it steady :)

Chips..

We went caravanning when I was younger, to be honest I really enjoyed it, don't think I would think of much of it nowadays though!

But then again when I'm having a few beers anywhere is good to lay down after a few so I think it would still be mega!