Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Norton - Symantec

:duh:

I really should be able to fix this but cannot.

I have a HPT365, great computer, had it nearly a year, and all is running OK. It is my main wireless PC, lovely spec including 2x200gb hard drives, Multimedia station etc.

Recently upgraded my router (naff Netwgear back to PCW) and got the Linksys Speed Booster WAG54GS. Great. First 4 days not dropped wifi connection once.

Then my son played on www.funnygames.nl for an hour and it dropped the connection. Spent 2 days trying to fix it, and could not. Ran ADAWARE, full antivirus scans etc etc...

The wifi connection to the router was OK, but I could not get onto the Internet/ISP. I blamed my poor 11 year old for downloading some dodgy cookie or sommit...poor lad!!

In the end disabled the Norton Firewall, and hey presto all is OK...

The router has a firewall already, so that's OK and I am protected, but I cannot understand what's changed (the Symantec Liveupdate may have loaded something in). I muight giv the symantec site a try, but sometimes the search facility is as good as looking for a needle in a haystack... :tsktsk:

I have checked all the settings, and nearly everything (all the obvious ones at least, including Explorer) are set to "Permit" or "Auto" on the "Programmes" part of the Norton FW Config.

I really want the added firewall too if I can have it, so anyone know what it could be?

(PS - my MS Win Firewall is always set to off...).

A friend had the symantec web security software. Had odd problem where if you used wireless internet and ms word then the PC would lock up. Turning off all the symantec stuff except the virus protection fixed it. She uses the XP firewall now. If you're not on XP then there are some free ones around like ZoneAlarm.

When I upgraded from symantec antivirus 2002 to 2006 (or something like that) my PC became slower generally and full scans went from 3hrs to 11hrs. I've since doubled the processor speed and got a faster disk and its back down to 3hrs.

I don't think I'd buy symantec stuff again. It seems really resource hungry and a complete pain when there's weird bugs.

Sorry guess I've not helped.

I've found Norton to be a pretty powerful tool, but as mentioned previously it is resource hungry and has a particular dislike for certain programmes (iTunes for one). Unfortunately I think you're stuck with your problem.

ditch norton and use avg antivirus (free version) and zone alarm firewall (free version) instead.

Norton sucks big time

Totally agree, that's what I have

Thanks all for your help...As I said, their site was useless. I'll just leave it off and put the XP firewall on again to see if that does the trick.

Other than that, I have to say the Linksys is the beesnees...

Don't trust your computer in the hands of microsoft firewall!!!!!

Go get them free programs and use them.

Norton is very hard to uninstall properly. best off reformating fo sure'

Don't trust your computer in the hands of microsoft firewall!!!!!

Go get them free programs and use them.

Norton is very hard to uninstall properly. best off reformating fo sure'

Again I totally agree if any hackers out there are going to get through a Firewall, Microsoft will be the first target.

Don't trust your PC security to Microsoft FFS

We have 3 PC's at Home, one is connected to work network, and the other 2 are private. The private ones = one old knacker and one newish HP. The old one has an old version of McAfee Firewall, which is on and works ok (Win ME yuck, but allows me to look at inbound and outbound events), and the other newer one has the Symantec over XP. The work one is XP Prof via a secure VPN, and has strong authentication and works own VPN guard firewall.

There's alot to be said for and against freebie versus paid up software.

I only do internet banking etc through the company PC (one of the biggest ICT companies in UK), through their secure firewall etc, so I'm as safe as you can be, though I accept that hackers always try and thwart them first too.

As far as freebie ones - well I have a twsit on them. I know most of them are OK, but many freebies carry Trojans on them, including free the firewalls and antivirus. I recall seeing something about spybot a while back...

Some of these can install hidden files, not cookies, which the firewall allows to go out without any trace or you knowing, and hey presto somewhere in timbuctoo someones is monitoring your keystrokes etc. You know the old saying - you never get a free lunch...

At the end of the day, I'm now more careful what I do on my private PC, and the Linksys firewall suppplied with the hardware seems to allow pings in and out which the Netgear didn't. I can't seem to figure out how I can stop these...

avg and zone alarm are very reputable companies. the free stuff is just as effective as the stuff you have to pay for, just with a lot less options

Like you say Jim Zonelabs and Grisoft are reputable companies, they offer free versions with less functionality to tempt you into buying the full version. I also have AdAware installed (free version), this has no automatic functions but I run it a couple of times a week to check for malware.

My Netgear router has VPN and NAT so I am also behind a hardware firewall.

Interesting thing is that AdAware once found a virus that AVG missed (not a serious Trojan), so if all your security is in one package like Norton everything works off the same profiles.

Defo dump Norton and go with AVG and Zone Alarm, you will free up system resources, speed your PC up in the process, whilst still being secure.