Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Battery Developments

Hi All.

I found a refernce on the Australian Prius forum to a company who is making high capacity for the Prius and are working on one for the RX400h along with other models.(Thank you Aussies!)

They expect the Prius model to be available in October but there is no date for the 400h.

The only downside seems to be that it may void the warranty :(

However it is interesting so do have a look:

http://www.hymotion.com/products.htm

Regards

Billy

Very interesting, thanks for sharing this. The future of electric cars has always hinged on smaller, higher capacity batteries being developed.

Their technical brochures say that this system is designed to be used in addition to the existing factory fitted batteries, so the suitcase sized PHEV unit would have to sit in the boot. The extra weight for the Prius is 72kg while the one for the Ford Escape is twice the weight (and size). The best way for this to go would be to factory fit it in place of the existing batteries, thereby increasing range while reducing size and weight.

The future looks bright!

IanB :D

I read a while back that from model year 2007, Toyota and Lexus will be using Lithium-ion batteries (weighing less than a third of those currently used) and that mains charging will also be possible.

That's great.

I lokk forward to that :)