Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Telephone Call

gib

Today an odd thing happened.

Got a phone call from what I thought was a call centre. I usually han g up on these things, but it was caught unaware.

The asian-sounding male, asked me to take part in a survey, in which he asked if I had a mortgage and how long I had had it for. Then, thats it, he thanked me for taking part. End of.

The call took no more than minute. My phone number is not in the phone book and he knew my name.

He did not ask me to press any numbers on my phone or call back etc.

Cant help thinking it was something suspicious. Any ideas?

Yes highly suspicious. If he knows your name he probably knows your address as well. Best defence is to just put the phone down.

I work on the basis that it's none of anyone elses business whether I have a mortgage or not, and indirectly they are bound to be selling something.........

IanB :D

Had 'em sweep a big chunk of our number range the other week, trying to sell mobile phones.

I had "Raj" on the phone, who was quite surprised when I told him I spend £220 per month on my mobile, and get no inclusive calls ("two-hundrd-n-twenty-pound-oh-my-gott!" was his excited exclamation). He then proceeded to offer me some fantastic deal for £20 per month instead.

The mock-Indian accent (don't know why I slipped into it) didn't deter him.

The karaoke echo mike I received a few Christmases ago didn't deter him.

Pressing Recall and diverting him to the fax machine upset him though, especially when he rang back, a colleague picked up and told him that he had no way of finding out who "Raj" had just been speaking to! :lol:

Trading Standards dept up the corridor (they got calls as well) kept a seller on the phone for about ten minutes, then said they weren't interested. :P

I now answer at hone ( if number unavailable or witheld ) "this call is being recorded for security purposes, please provide 1st and third letter of your security password" then I listen in and nearly always get the dialling tone and no call back. If somebody is speaking it's normally anautomated call handler which you can't interrupt, if you can interupt I then warn them they have just broken the law as I am registered with the Telephone Preference Service ............