Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just Bought A V8 Mgb Roadster

Having owned my GS300 for nearly four years now and enjoyed every minute of it, I have been hankering for a while now for a fun car for the weekend. After deliberating over a couple of Japanese offerings including an Imrezza a twin turbo Skyline and series 2 MR2 I have gone for a nuts and bolts MGB convertible with a bit of a sting in its tail - a mildly tuned 3.5 Rover V8.

The Japanese cars were great cars but were a little too macho for me in terms of appearance, although the Imprezza I looked at apart from the rear spoiler looked very sedate and very much the 'wolf in sheeps clothing' I was after, but not quite the same as the innocent looking MGB. The only indication of what is under the bonnet is a descreet bonnet bulge and V8 badge on the rear bootlid.

I pick her up Friday and will post some pics for anyone who is interested.

Hi,

Happy Motoring with your new car :driving:

Is it running on carbs or EFI,my money is on carbs :winky:

They do sound the business :)

But id think about getting another credit card with 0% finance :) if its running carbs i think your only looking at 155bhp,about the same power as the IS200,but to be fair it should go better as it should be lighter.

Sorry for the negative post its not like me normally :blush: but i think youve bought yourself a car that your going to be under the bonnet alot :shifty:

Each to there own,but after owning a TR7 ive not got good memories of British Leyland :)

Dont hold my post against me please :)

Happy Motoring and heres to the summer with the roof down.

Chips..

Welcome to the MG club :D

The old Rover V8 might only be 155bhp (was that the twin plenum model) but being an american engine it's got a supersize wedge of torque and a light car like the B will fly with a mill like that under the bonnet B) B)

Any pictures, especially of the engine???

I'll let you know how it goes when I drive it back on Friday the 250 miles or so from sunny Crewe.

Yes its an oldie but the Rover V8 based on the very popular 350 Buick block is legendary and has appeared in so many cars over the years up to the early 80's finishing its life in the Range Rover.

The BHP is quite low by modern day standards but the torque is phenominal and it will accelerate in second gear to 60 and on through the gears to over 100mph in 20 seconds which is not bad for a 30 year old motor!

Carbouration is via a four barrel Holly carb on an Offenhauser manifold tuned to return a minimum of 20mpg just as good as my GS.

The other point to remember is the power to weight ratio which is as good as you will get for a car of its size and on par with a mid engined Ferrari or rear engined Porsche.

Hi,

Heres more info and pictures of the V8.

http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index.htm?engineroverv8f.htm

Chips..

Thats the one but mine will have a four pot Holly carb on a performance Offenhauser manifold which improves performance and does away with the need for a ghastly bonnet bulge enabling the car to masquerade as a docile 1800 till you lower your right foot when that orgasmic V8 burble roars in and whisks you off at GTi speeds.

Yep i'm hooked.

Can't wait till Friday!!

I'll let you know how it goes when I drive it back on Friday the 250 miles or so from sunny Crewe.

Yes its an oldie but the Rover V8 based on the very popular 350 Buick block is legendary and has appeared in so many cars over the years up to the early 80's finishing its life in the Range Rover.

The BHP is quite low by modern day standards but the torque is phenominal and it will accelerate in second gear to 60 and on through the gears to over 100mph in 20 seconds which is not bad for a 30 year old motor!

Carbouration is via a four barrel Holly carb on an Offenhauser manifold tuned to return a minimum of 20mpg just as good as my GS.

The other point to remember is the power to weight ratio which is as good as you will get for a car of its size and on par with a mid engined Ferrari or rear engined Porsche.

Hi,

Chips..

Thats the one but mine will have a four pot Holly carb on a performance Offenhauser manifold which improves performance and does away with the need for a ghastly bonnet bulge enabling the car to masquerade as a docile 1800 till you lower your right foot when that orgasmic V8 burble roars in and whisks you off at GTi speeds.

Yep i'm hooked.

Can't wait till Friday!!

I had that carb /manifold set up in my Ginetta G27 which weighed 600kgs and has 200 odd bhp from the Rover V8.....RPI engineering & Real Steel sell some good bits & bobs :winky:

Hi,

Chips..

Yep i'm hooked.

Can't wait till Friday!!

I had that carb /manifold set up in my Ginetta G27 which weighed 600kgs and has 200 odd bhp from the Rover V8.....RPI engineering & Real Steel sell some good bits & bobs :winky:

Hi Dave

I have been a fan of RPI for a while, they have a reputation for doing great things with Range Rovers and Landies.

Hi,

Chips..

Yep i'm hooked.

Can't wait till Friday!!

Hi Dave

I have been a fan of RPI for a while, they have a reputation for doing great things with Range Rovers and Landies.

bought a stage 1 cam from them for my mate who has a early series 1 landy with a V8..........looks on peoples faces when he left them for dead !!............6mpg tho :tomato: