Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys,looking for some help and inspiration. Last night I went out to the car to shut the window,went to put the key in the ignition,and it wouldn't turn. ow I'm not a heavy handed kind of person,but from what I can make out it looks as though the barrel has slipped in a little and won't allow the key to turn. I can get it to the Acc(essory) position, but no further. Also, the steering lock hasn't engaged,and I'm thinking the two are linked. Any advice or tips would be appreciated,as the next step is to re-lock and re-key the car. Which I'm envisaging will be £££ :angry:

Never heard of this fault, if no replies, try your post on the USA site, lots more owners over there who might

have an answer....

I had a similar thing happen on a Saab 9000 I used to own.

I found the the levers inside the barrel had worn, meaning that the key would not longer unlock the ingnition.

I couldn't justify the cost of replacing the locks, so took out some of the levers from the barrel. Obviously this seriously affected security, but there wasn't really any risk of anyone stealing that car!

May not be the same problem as yours as you mention that the barrel looks like it has sunk into the housing, but may help.

You could elimate this as the problem if you could get the ignition barrel out of the housing and try to see if the key will move freely in the lock. Normally to get the barrel out you have to remove the plastic cowel around the steering column and the barrel has a spring loaded clip on one side that has to be compressed so you can prise the barrel out (may be different on an LS though as I've never had the need to check).

Hope you find an answer.

Hi guys,

WD was the first thing I did,and that didn't achieve anything sadly. I'll have a look at how to pop the barrel out,but from looking at it with the bottom part of the dash removed,it looks pretty solid and impenetrable. I've been offered a complete lock set and key,but thats money that i didn't really want to spend you know?

I'll have another look tonight and see if I can get it out.