Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Geometry

rhosneigr

post-4011-1153317498.jpgWent to Drury Lane this morning to have the geometry checked on my IS300. Excelent service and very impressed with the machine used. Enclosing printout and as can be seen the readings are all within tolerance. One adjustment was carried out on the left rear camber although this was not a mile out. All bushes and joints were tested for wear and were all OK. Why then in 10000miles has the front tyres inner worn from new to 1.6mm. The car is a Dec 2003 model and has done 30000miles. Before getting new tyres has anyone any ideas, I would visit WIM if they were not so far away.

your message has proved what I have always believed... you lot are obsessed with geometry checks as the be all and end all, and this just shows that you need to realise this tyre wear is a basic design fault to put it in a nutshell. my tyres has gone the same way from brand new on a brand new car - and your post has proved that it still happens with correct goemetry!!

face it lads it is one of the (very few) downsides of owning a lexus!! :winky:

so as Lexylady suggests its something that's a design fault in the car and I'll have to put up with it. :sad::sad::sad:

No, complete rubbish, the geo written for the IS by Lexus is wrong as Tony has said many, many times on here. Hence the reason why Lexylady had bad wear on a new car.

I have no issues with uneven tyre wear after the car was properly set up by the Dr. Also, the facts are, that if the car is correctly set up it handles much better so it is not just about tyre wear.

your message has proved what I have always believed... you lot are obsessed with geometry checks as the be all and end all, and this just shows that you need to realise this tyre wear is a basic design fault to put it in a nutshell. my tyres has gone the same way from brand new on a brand new car - and your post has proved that it still happens with correct goemetry!!

my car proves with correct geometry adverse tyre wear is not a problem

the problem occurs because people trust people to set their geometry , who havent got a clue what there doing

and that includes Lexus

Nothing wrong being obsessed with saving money and possibly your life.... As MacRS200 said Lexus did get it wrong Geometrically...not by much but nevertheless wrong. The wim set-up has proved successful...every car that comes to me has a problem hence the appointment and every car re-positioned has been fine thereafter, those positions i have made public so i am not trying to capture the recovery market only the awareness market. The situation with rhoseigr's car is indeed unusual but now he has an image of the geometry any future wear can be 'fine-tuned out' this practice is necessary since we are all unique so the positions can only represent a suggestion.

Nothing wrong being obsessed with saving money and possibly your life.... As MacRS200 said Lexus did get it wrong Geometrically...not by much but nevertheless wrong. The wim set-up has proved successful...every car that comes to me has a problem hence the appointment and every car re-positioned has been fine thereafter, those positions i have made public so i am not trying to capture the recovery market only the awareness market. The situation with rhoseigr's car is indeed unusual but now he has an image of the geometry any future wear can be 'fine-tuned out' this practice is necessary since we are all unique so the positions can only represent a suggestion.

I must say, i was astonished to see that my tyres wore so badly, I did not even realise because if was the inner edges which you just dont see at all easily, they told me on my first service and i had not driven millions of miles etc. The only point i was trying to make was that the guy starting this post went to drury lane diagnostics, who he felt knew what they were talking about, and they told him his geo was within suitable limits........ yet he was there because of this adverse wear, which seems to show that it is not necessarily, or only, caused by wrong geometry. From what I have read here, it is a common prob with lexus. I take on board what you say here about wrong set up by lexus. I have not done anything about mine, as i did not really know what could be done, but my second set of tyres have not gone the same way.... mind you i will try to have a really good look at the inside edges tomorrow..... :yawn:

I must say, i was astonished to see that my tyres wore so badly, I did not even realise because if was the inner edges which you just dont see at all easily, they told me on my first service and i had not driven millions of miles etc. The only point i was trying to make was that the guy starting this post went to drury lane diagnostics, who he felt knew what they were talking about, and they told him his geo was within suitable limits........ yet he was there because of this adverse wear, which seems to show that it is not necessarily, or only, caused by wrong geometry. From what I have read here, it is a common prob with lexus. I take on board what you say here about wrong set up by lexus. I have not done anything about mine, as i did not really know what could be done, but my second set of tyres have not gone the same way.... mind you i will try to have a really good look at the inside edges tomorrow..... :yawn:

I understand your post and the comment about rhosneigr's camber being within tolerance, but the tolerance is one of the main problems..... this is why?

IS200 Front camber position 'static' is -30' The front camber 'Tolerance' is actually the dynamic range?...so when the wheel hits a bump the camber can curve to -1 degree 15' then off the bump relax to +15'. On the machine these positions would be displayed 'GREEN' implying the positions are ok.

So your car can have nsf camber at -1 degree 15' and osf at +15' (visibly / / ) and be considered ok :huh: The dynamic range serves no relevance to geometry recovery unless you are a mechanical engineer.... The only facts needed are what is the positions now, and what should they be 'static'.......

Thanks for the prompt reply to my pm WIM and I will monitor the wear. Just a thought a few of the roads that I drive on daily around here have these traffic calming squares. I try driving over them with the wheels on either side (straddling) therefore the inner side of the tyre is taking the wear. (Maybe not......talking c..p)

Thanks for the prompt reply to my pm WIM and I will monitor the wear. Just a thought a few of the roads that I drive on daily around here have these traffic calming squares. I try driving over them with the wheels on either side (straddling) therefore the inner side of the tyre is taking the wear. (Maybe not......talking c..p)

Impossible to study and give you a real 100% wim reply but in reality the tyre sidewall is more than able to absorb traffic calming obstacles...The deflection is called 'slip angle' ... this is much more intrusive on a long high speed bend due to the additional centrifugal forces than any traffic calming obstacle.

Impossible to study and give you a real 100% wim reply but in reality the tyre sidewall is more than able to absorb traffic calming obstacles...The deflection is called 'slip angle' ... this is much more intrusive on a long high speed bend due to the additional centrifugal forces than any traffic calming obstacle.

I do remember now that on my first lexus service the guy tried to imply that I had probably been over a lot of traffic bumps when he pointed out that my good looking tyres were in fact worn to baldness on the inside edge where you really could not see it with a general look. I rarely go over bumps so I guess that is a lexus excuse. I am surprised though that a car of this price has a general prob like this, after all tyres are expensive and you do not expect it on an expensive car.... someone at lexus obviously did not do their homework at the beginning. I must look at my second set as they look fine, but i will be really annoyed if they are bald on the inside edges. Also my second set of alloys are corroding worse than the originals did, again this is not what you expect on a car of this price. I must say WIM your website looks good - I wonder why lexus made such a bad mistake if the geo probs are down to them. :huh:

I do remember now that on my first lexus service the guy tried to imply that I had probably been over a lot of traffic bumps when he pointed out that my good looking tyres were in fact worn to baldness on the inside edge where you really could not see it with a general look. I rarely go over bumps so I guess that is a lexus excuse. I am surprised though that a car of this price has a general prob like this, after all tyres are expensive and you do not expect it on an expensive car.... someone at lexus obviously did not do their homework at the beginning. I must look at my second set as they look fine, but i will be really annoyed if they are bald on the inside edges. Also my second set of alloys are corroding worse than the originals did, again this is not what you expect on a car of this price. I must say WIM your website looks good - I wonder why lexus made such a bad mistake if the geo probs are down to them. :huh:

Until LOC contacted wim no one realised what the problem was... after i re-wrote the positions and proved the reason why, Lexus could not comment. The reason is litigation, if they confess the claims would be enormous, as you can imagine. They are aware of the wim set-up and i hope they change the positions within the dealerships as soon as possible, this benefits everyone!