Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As the header says guys.

I work overseas so my car lies idle for months.

My nephew takes my car for a run every 2 weeks and it starts fine but if it's left for 3 weeks, the car is stone dead. It kicks in no problem with a jump start and charges up no problem.

It sits, open (unlocked) in my garage so the alarm is not switched on. There isn't anything except the clock draining the Battery.

Anyone know if this normal or should I be looking at a new Battery.

Andy

As the header says guys.

I work overseas so my car lies idle for months.

My nephew takes my car for a run every 2 weeks and it starts fine but if it's left for 3 weeks, the car is stone dead. It kicks in no problem with a jump start and charges up no problem.

It sits, open (unlocked) in my garage so the alarm is not switched on. There isn't anything except the clock draining the battery.

Anyone know if this normal or should I be looking at a new battery.

Andy

How old is the Battery?

Taking the car out for a drive of less than 30 mins won't really help much if the Battery is weak anyway. Better to use a "trickle" type charger.

i leave my car for about 4 weeks sometimes and it is fine starts straight away and that is with the alarm set, i did get a new Battery last year tho.

a Battery lasts for about 3-4 years, you will know if the Battery is on its way out as soon as cold weather starts because the Battery will be dead

to make 100% sure disconnect it and see what happens (do u have to enter a radio code on the GS if you do this?)

i leave my car for about 4 weeks sometimes and it is fine starts straight away and that is with the alarm set, i did get a new battery last year tho.

a battery lasts for about 3-4 years, you will know if the battery is on its way out as soon as cold weather starts because the battery will be dead

to make 100% sure disconnect it and see what happens (do u have to enter a radio code on the GS if you do this?)

It started all last winter without any problems whatsoever (and not always garaged).

My nephew disconnects the Battery to get the leads on the terminals.

Emmmm never had to enter a radio code up to now.

Andy

Buy an Accumate off eBay, you can leave it connected to the Battery all the time you're away, it'll keep it in tip-top shape.

Accumates come with two cables. One terminates in a normal set of crocodile clips, the other is fused and terminates in a pair of ring terminals. Putting the car on charge is then simply a case of parking it in the garage, popping the bonnet, plugging the cables from the Accumate into the mains and the cable on the Battery, then walking away. You can even drop the bonnet and set the alarm, it'll run the lot quite happily.

Don't buy the closely-related Optimate, they're for bike batteries and can't handle the big boys.