Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheels Replaced Again!

Car is going into Lexus Grimsby on Tuesday to have all four wheels replaced again as they have gone milky in places. Quite rubbish.

I had Lexus Cambridge put a new set on when I bought it in August last year and now they need doing again.

I am a little concerned that the car will be 3 years old in August and after that Lexus wont entertain them being changed again if they deteriorate. Any Ideas?

Car is going into Lexus Grimsby on Tuesday to have all four wheels replaced again as they have gone milky in places. Quite rubbish.

I had Lexus Cambridge put a new set on when I bought it in August last year and now they need doing again.

I am a little concerned that the car will be 3 years old in August and after that Lexus wont entertain them being changed again if they deteriorate. Any Ideas?

If the wheels have got a 3 year warranty from new, the you might argue that the 3 years should start again from the time they are replaced. I've had this agreed with other warranty work before so it's got to be worth a try.

i gave mine a good clean and got rid of any marks etc by going over the front and rear of the wheels with a scrubbing pad, (yes it does scratch the laquer) and then i re coated them, making sure the area between the polished and non polished and also the back of the spokes was properly covered. Thay was 5 years ago and i use the standard wheels for my winter wheels so they are covered in salt,grit and loads of dirt for about 6 months, i give them a wash every now and then but they still dont show any corrosion or marking.

are you still coming over this summer??

I have Supagard coated my wheels, and have began prepping them properly.

I have added two coats of Poorboy's Wheel Protector wax to the front so far after thoroughly cleaning them off the car. The finish looks immense...

post-13823-1153393960.jpg

post-13823-1153393984.jpg

Brian :)

are you still coming over this summer??

I think so - i am probably driving over now too - going to spend a week in Switzerland and then dive over to italy for a couple of days, down to monaco and then across to Paris and home.

Will have to get your details off of you and go for a beer or 10 when we get over there. How far are you from Kandersteg Rob?

kandersteg is about 100 miles 160 km from me so you are looking at about 2 hours max to get there from Basel. Might have to be an overnight stay job.

if you do come over as long as you dont have HIDS then dont bother with the beam deflectors you wont get flashed, i never have here.

i gave mine a good clean and got rid of any marks etc by going over the front and rear of the wheels with a scrubbing pad, (yes it does scratch the laquer) and then i re coated them, making sure the area between the polished and non polished and also the back of the spokes was properly covered. Thay was 5 years ago and i use the standard wheels for my winter wheels so they are covered in salt,grit and loads of dirt for about 6 months, i give them a wash every now and then but they still dont show any corrosion or marking.

Hi Rob.

My summer and winter alloys need this treatment now. Is there any special type of lacquer you'd recommend?

Cheers,

IanB :D

Is it just me or are a lot of the old style Lexus alloys being chromed or painted now when they're refurbed, I'm seeing a few cars with the old style five spokes and the newer style that they did in chrome effect?

Looks quite good actually on the old style alloys, saw a nice looking gold one today!

Do they suffer the same problems when they're chromed or does that cure the problem?

Maybe something for you to look at Waddy, you big bellend :P

Hi Rob.

My summer and winter alloys need this treatment now. Is there any special type of lacquer you'd recommend?

Cheers,

Hi Ian,

I just went to a local bodyshop and had a chat with one of the guys in the workshop - they just used normal laquer. However you can do it yourself with a few cans, there is prob enough in a can to do 2 wheels properly. Apply thin coats and let it dry a little it doesnt take long, dont worry if it goes a bit cloudy that will go after a while.

Had my 200 Sport wheels reburbished a couple pf months ago by a very reputable company who told me they are doing Japanese wheels all the time. They say there just isn't enough paint and lacquer on the originals - not just Lexus but many Japanese makes. The wheels look great now and I'm hoping they are going to stay that way.

Hi Rob.

Cheers,

Hi Ian,

I just went to a local bodyshop and had a chat with one of the guys in the workshop - they just used normal laquer. However you can do it yourself with a few cans, there is prob enough in a can to do 2 wheels properly. Apply thin coats and let it dry a little it doesnt take long, dont worry if it goes a bit cloudy that will go after a while.

Thanks, Rob. I'll do the winter wheels over the summer. All this warm weather should bake the lacquer nicely!

Cheers,

Has anyone tried having them powder coated? This should provide a harder wearing coating than paint and laquer. My Sportcross is 3 years old in November, and in the absence of anything similar to change to, unless I go for a BMW, I guess I'll be keeping it for a few more years yet...

I have a classic car with alloys that I had done with powder some years ago and they still look fine: mind you, they have done very few road miles. My old 1997 Subaru wheels were stove enamelled rather than painted I think: I had that car for 6 years and they looked almost as good as new after 60K miles.

My old 1997 Subaru wheels were stove enamelled rather than painted I think: I had that car for 6 years and they looked almost as good as new after 60K miles.

Doubt if they would be stoved, don't think the alloy would take the heat

Doubt if they would be stoved, don't think the alloy would take the heat

It was a very hard coating, not quite smooth when you looked closely. It definitely wasn't just paint.