Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Audio Install

Well i think my H/U is about to die. Cd's appare to be taking a long time to either eject or change so. it looks like its time for some Audio install fun...

Now the problem is that

1. i know sod all about car audio....

2. im scared to take the lexus apart :D

so could some of you loverly skilled audio techinicains recomend some speakers and headunits.

Price range i suppose i want to spend around about £400 all in...

and for the second part could somone recomend an installer firm who you would trust to do the work.

i look forward to your words of wisdom :D :D :D :D :D

Its a really easy thing to do to fit a new head unit. If you are going down the ' fit a brand-new H/U ' way, then you can buy a facia adapter from Halfords for about £13. You'll need to get the part number off the AutoLead's website, then take it to Halfords and get them to order it (assuming they dont already have it in stock of course)

Once you have that and the new H/U, follow the instructions for removal of the old one which is found somewhere in this forum.

You'll also need an ISO adapter, again can be bought/ordered from Halfords.

The most expensive item you'll get is the new H/U, but how much you spend there is entirely up to you.

You can get the adapter/ISO for less than £30, so the rest is available for a head unit!

(Halford's website may also have the part number for the facia adapter)

Its a really easy thing to do to fit a new head unit. If you are going down the ' fit a brand-new H/U ' way, then you can buy a facia adapter from Halfords for about £13. You'll need to get the part number off the AutoLead's website, then take it to Halfords and get them to order it (assuming they dont already have it in stock of course)

Once you have that and the new H/U, follow the instructions for removal of the old one which is found somewhere in this forum.

You'll also need an ISO adapter, again can be bought/ordered from Halfords.

The most expensive item you'll get is the new H/U, but how much you spend there is entirely up to you.

You can get the adapter/ISO for less than £30, so the rest is available for a head unit!

(Halford's website may also have the part number for the facia adapter)

It is only this easy of you have the S model. For the SE or Sport model you'll need to bypass the amp.

well i have done some hunting around and here is what im looking at getting :D

Kenwood DPX-501U

4 x 50 Watt

Double DIN Size Fixed Faceplate

14 Segment FL Display

RDS Tuner

AAC/MP3/WMA Playback

2 RCA Preout

Disc Changer Control Capability

iPod /Bluetooth Ready

USB interface with ACDrive

Infinity Reference 6512i Front Speakers

Diameter: 165mm (6.5")

Power Handling, RMS: 60 Watts

Power Handling, Peak: 180 Watts

Sensitivity: 92dB

Frequency Response: 58Hz - 21kHz

Mounting Depth: 61mm

Impedance: 4 Ohms

now im not sure what to do with the rear speakers, should i go down the 6x9 road or go with some smaller ones. any ideas. also what sort of amp, if any does any one think ill need

What i did with my rear speakers was to disconnect them and put a passive sub in the boot. It didnt need a power supply, so all i did was put the leads from one of the speakers into the sub. Job done, and with excellent sound quality.

I kept the original front speakers, and im not using an amp, so i doubt im getting the full 1000W from my sub, but im happy!

If you dont want a sub though, im sure it would be a case of just replacing the old rears with the new ones. From my brief look at them, they appear to be 6x9's anyway, so should be a straight swap.

If you're new ones are too big, it would probably be a case of cutting the metal rear shelf, something I wouldnt be very happy doing!

What i did with my rear speakers was to disconnect them and put a passive sub in the boot. It didnt need a power supply, so all i did was put the leads from one of the speakers into the sub. Job done, and with excellent sound quality.

I kept the original front speakers, and im not using an amp, so i doubt im getting the full 1000W from my sub, but im happy!

If you dont want a sub though, im sure it would be a case of just replacing the old rears with the new ones. From my brief look at them, they appear to be 6x9's anyway, so should be a straight swap.

If you're new ones are too big, it would probably be a case of cutting the metal rear shelf, something I wouldnt be very happy doing!

But yours is an S model though mate, the other guys is an SE. Therefore different OEM system anyway. The SE / Sport has 4 speakers in the rear parcel shelf. Two visible, two beneath the others.. (Im pretty sure thats correct as I've also got an S model)..

best thing i can suggest is to take it to Bromley Car Audio, they are in 50d Homesdale road in Bromley, BR2 9LO - 0208 460 8704

Jay who works there took my car in and changed it all over from an SE spec to fully working with ISO leads and everything.

It will only take him about 1 hour at the most to install and fit your new stuff, and normaly he doesnt charge much if you also buy the head unit etc from him.

Its only about a 45 min drive from where you are, but he has a lot of experience in what you need. I trust him with all my customers work and my own cars so i would say its worth paying him a visit.