Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Changing Spark Plugs

Mr Flibble

Hi, can anyone advise me on how to change the plugs on my IS200 SE. I've tried to take the air box off by unscrewing the 3 black screws that hold it in place only to find that once I've taken the screws off it's pretty hard to pull off, i don't want to force it and risk braking anything. Am i being too carefull or is there something I'm missing?, are the plugs hidden under the air box?.

I can't seem to find a guide for this on the site.

I've never changed anything on a car before other than painting brake calipers so please excuse me if I sound a bit stupid. :duh:

Hello.

You need to take the complete airbox off, if i remember right there is quite alot of screws,, you also need o unclip the scoop at the front of the airbox, the airbox maybe help in possition by the oil breather pipe, if you take the air filter out (unclips front and raer on the silver lexus part of airbox) there is more parts inside possibly another clip.

Sorry if im a little vague but its a while since i have had an airbox, I now that not get to the spark plugs, taking the VVTi cowling off helps, the spark plugs are locate inside a chamber so make sure you have a good spark plug wrench.

If you need any more help just shout.

Changed my plugs today.

Aaron

Hello.

You need to take the complete airbox off, if i remember right there is quite alot of screws,, you also need o unclip the scoop at the front of the airbox, the airbox maybe help in possition by the oil breather pipe, if you take the air filter out (unclips front and raer on the silver lexus part of airbox) there is more parts inside possibly another clip.

Sorry if im a little vague but its a while since i have had an airbox, I now that not get to the spark plugs, taking the VVTi cowling off helps, the spark plugs are locate inside a chamber so make sure you have a good spark plug wrench.

If you need any more help just shout.

Changed my plugs today.

Aaron

Would you recommend that I find a local garage or local Toyota to do this for me?

It is very satisfying knowing that you have done something yourself.

If i can do, so can you!

Once you get the airbox off just see how you get on! it is all very clear when you get under the airbox.

I don't know what Toyota/Lexus/a garage would charge to change plugs...Its completly up to you.

If i can do, so can you!

Once you get the airbox off just see how you get on! it is all very clear when you get under the airbox.

I don't know what Toyota/Lexus/a garage would charge to change plugs...Its completly up to you.

Thanks for the advice I will have another go and see how it goes. :)

:blush: it is very easy to do the spark plugs,,,,

you have to take the front of the air box/scoop off which is held on by 3 bolts(near the top of the rad)

then unclip the throttle cable from the top of the air box, there are three bolts if I remember one near the exhaust manifold and one in front of the throttle housing and one at the rear.

Take of the cover that has vvti on it, 3 bolts again, then unplug each coil pack and use 10mm sock or spanner to undo each coil pack, lift them off and you have access to the plugs.

:shifty: very easy really...

if I can be of assistance just ask :hehe: You will get some ressistance when you pull the air box off as it is on a rubber seal on top of the intake

ta Tony

If i can do, so can you!

Thanks for the advice I will have another go and see how it goes. :)

Also remember that the plugs are recessed in a hole so blow out any dust or debris that may be in there BEFORE you take out the old plugs......

When putting in the new plugs .... Use a piece of rubber tubing about 6" long, push the plug into one end and lower it into position ..... this will help in making sure that the plugs are screwing in properly..... too easy to cross the threads if using a wrench

It would also be a help if you have a torque wrench for final tightening as too tight is as bad as too loose...

anyway good luck

Nice one Tony!

Thought everybody with knowledge would be at JAE...I did my best! :duh:

some one has to stay behind and help out on here, :D :winky:

I will get there next year hopefully :P

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links