Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Pressures

What tyre pressures is everone running on SE's with 17" wheels. The manual reckons 35 front and 38 (psi) rear for under 100mph. I took delivery of the car with 38 front and 40 rear.

Anyone covered enough miles to comment on wear and inflation pressure?

Thanks

Should tell you on the sticker either in the door jam or fual flap, i could be wrong on the location.

It also depends on load, i.e how many passengers in the car etc..

Double check the guage which you obtained your tyre pressure reading from, most ( but not all ) garage forecourt guages are in-accurate as they are often abused and not re-calibrated.

If this is important i'd advise on a good quality digital guage and check the pressures on every re-fill of fuel, I travel an average of 700 per week and always watch mine, as any un-noticed deviation can lead to adverse tyre wear...

Mine came in 39fr and 44rr. The ride was hard and choppy...

Then reduced them to 36fr and 39rr and things have improved. As this is within tolerances, I have not noticed anything untoward as far as wear is concerned, but the car defo rides better...

PS - I've got one of the mechanical "pen" types of pressure checkers, which apparently are supposed to be accurate...but who knows 'eh??!!

Thanks for replies.

My gauge is extremely accurate, dont use petrol stations and tyres were cold.

The reason I ask is on my previous 330i Sport it would go through rear tyres in 6,000 miles (albeit pirellis) at the recommended 42 psi rear. There would be say 2mm in the centre and 4mm at the sides, so obviously over inflated.

I thought over inflation produced more wear in the centre of the tyre.

That's just what he said above ;);) :P

Wearing in the centre to that level sounds like overinflation. Softer tyres (slightly) can improve grip at the rear but not by too much, or they'll not last. In saying that, 6000 is not great even for Pirelli's :o

Brian.