Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clunky Gearbox - Is 220d Sport?

Hi all,

Already had the "gearbox mod" done by the dealer - not sure what this entails. Was to stop the box being clunky in 1st, 2nd and partially 3rd - and not engaging 100% in first when slowing at a junction etc (ie slowing from say 40MPH, when stopped going into 1st - slight crunch etc).

Anyone else had this - still partially there - need to get it looked at again.

On a 250 or a 220d - especially the sport model though & its' gearbox/clutch.

I love the car but have read a few demoralising reviews of it recently - the 320d BMW seems to beat it in most head to heads - just don't want a BMW!

Brian :)

Although mine is not particularly nothcy, it certainly doesn't like to be rushed. On quick changes I get a bit of drivetrain 'clunk' but I don't have the crunching of the synchro. I might ask the dealer about what mods are being made to the gear box though.

As for..

I love the car but have read a few demoralising reviews of it recently - the 320d BMW seems to beat it in most head to heads - just don't want a BMW!

Don't always believe the reviews from car mags who rely on heavy advertising. They are different cars, I personally would hate the stigma of having a 3 series and the comfort and experience of having the Lex far outweighs any minor niggles I have.

Rich.

Yeah - I get the drivetrain clunk too - sounds like the box is loose!

I bought my car for the build & dealer reputation 2nd, looks and features first and drive third - although I always like good driving cars and have had a series of "drivers" cars - but no point in it driving well if you can't find the indicators ;)

Love the looks though:

post-13823-1153751691.jpg

Mine has always done it, not too bad, but it sounds a bit like the original mini!!

Needs the mod - and I think both SE and Sport suffer. The gearbox is the same - just the differential is changed out in the Sport.

As far as comparo's are concerned, it's everyone to their own judgement. Everything in this category is so even balanced, you really have to be picky!! Audi and BMW do give you the choice of engines and trim - all at a price. The Lexus is just sheer value for money - loaded to the gunnels, though it is smaller at the back and smaller boot....

PS - most of the Mag's have huge German adverts in them...say no more!!

Do you know what the modification is to cure the 1st to 2nd clunk? I recently bought a 220d SE and when I brought it back to my dealer he told me that the clunk/rattle when changing from 1st to 2nd was a feature of the gearbox and that I would have to live with it.

It doesn't bother me anymore but anytime I have the radio off and a passenger in the front seat they visibly cringe when I change from 1st to 2nd (and before you think it's my driving, it does it no matter who drives the car).

It's annoying to think that there appears to be a know remedy for this yet my dealer tells me that there is nothing he can do.

LS.

Do you know what the modification is to cure the 1st to 2nd clunk? I recently bought a 220d SE and when I brought it back to my dealer he told me that the clunk/rattle when changing from 1st to 2nd was a feature of the gearbox and that I would have to live with it.

It doesn't bother me anymore but anytime I have the radio off and a passenger in the front seat they visibly cringe when I change from 1st to 2nd (and before you think it's my driving, it does it no matter who drives the car).

It's annoying to think that there appears to be a know remedy for this yet my dealer tells me that there is nothing he can do.

LS.

It's just Lexus resurrecting the old seatbelt safety campaign ...

"Clunk click every trip".

Anyone know if there is an auto box version for the new Avensis T180 (same engine)? That may answer the question.

No to your question AFAIK - but the avensis (and corolla verso T180) are front drive. The RAV4 T180 is obviously 4WD so even there was it wouldn't fit without getting the Meccano kit out :o

The car is going in again tomorrow to have the gearbox looked at for a second time. Still clunky 1st, 2nd and 3rd, fine 4, 5 and 6. I'll let you know how it gets on. It has nearly 1800 miles on it now - the dealer said "it should be fixed and not making any noise - it should be very smooth. Low miles or no miles it should not be doing that".

They are also aware of the handbrake being an issue and have been reporting it to Lexus. The handbrake is not 100% strong enough in some cases to hold the car on a severe hill, even at full adjustment. Needs several re-applications, with the footbrake, to get full locking.

ooohhh they havent used a shi&&y gearbox AGAIN!! come on toyota syncromesh has been around for years its not that hard to get right - even citroen can do it!

seems like 2nd gear has the same fault as the old IS, que further reports when cars clock up about 10K.

My manual petrol SE has a clunky box around 2nd & 3rd, but not so noticable if you are driving the car harder with higher revs :blink:

When I spoke to the dealer about it, they suggested clocking up 2k miles as this was a bedding in thing....right !! sure !!! :yawn:

Anyway, still a feature that hasn't gone away. Would love to hear more about the mod, if there actually is one :shifty:

My manual petrol SE has a clunky box around 2nd & 3rd, but not so noticable if you are driving the car harder with higher revs :blink:

When I spoke to the dealer about it, they suggested clocking up 2k miles as this was a bedding in thing....right !! sure !!! :yawn:

Anyway, still a feature that hasn't gone away. Would love to hear more about the mod, if there actually is one :shifty:

Mine is better with harder driving too - it does not like gentle "I have passengers" style driving much.

It has had the "mod" already - I'll wait to see what it gets today.

thats a fob off if i have ever heard one

thats a fob off if i have ever heard one

Yep, exactly what I thought and I showed them that was what I thought as well. :yawn:

Problem is, the damage my deal has done to my car in the past, makes me reluctant to use them again for anything major. And unfortunately the other main dealer in Greater Manchester gets worse reviews than the one I already use. So I dread having to take teh car in, as it inevitably comes out worse off :tsktsk:

Attempt No.2 at the gearbox - now adjusted as fully as it possibly can be. The service dept. have been excellent and very honest - they have had a few people complaining about clunky gearboxes - but not crunchy like mine.

We went out in my car after the work was done 95% OK now, out in an SE with similar miles (circa 1800) and also out in an SE-L with 6500 miles to compare them all. They were all a bit notchy, but smoother than mine - made me realise I landed lucky with the Sport gearbox ratio's too - the others are really awkward and too low geared for the UK IMHO.

The Sport Demo was out for the day, but he is going to get that - try it himself and get me in to try it and see - then we can look at what to do. He discussed the issues with the old IS gearbox and that no matter what they done, new gearbox etc it was always crunchy from 1st to 2nd. Has reported it to Lexus and tried to get Steve their technical guru but he was unavailable.

THE HANDBRAKE ISSUES - he is aware of this, has reported all faults to Lexus and said that dealers all over the country were doing the same. He tried to get some answers but again unable to get Steve. He will let me know - but said that Lexus are very pro-active in these matters and will already be on it - and will come up with a modification. He mentioned it is a known issue only affecting Manual IS 220 + 250's.

I'll keep you all updated.

Thanks for the update. What is the Hand Brake issue / symptoms ?

Only coming up 2 clicks on full adjustment - struggling to hold on hill without full footbrake down and several re-applications of the handbrake.

The footbrake on the auto's is apparently fine.