Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reformatting A Usb Hdd

OK - situation: I have a new HDD -Samsung 160GB which I bought New, tried to install into an OLD freebie PC and failed a year ago. removed it, and it's been sitting in a box for 12 months.

Bought myself a Dabs Value Aluminium 3.5 " Caddy. All connected up and hunky dorry. However, I can only see 7.85GB through my Win Explorer (both WinME and WinXP machines).

Does anyone know how I can get all 160odd GB back easily? I've surfed the web and it's useless...

I believe my mate who was doing the retro fit last year may have partitioned it - is it as easy as repartitioning? If so How? Remember it is in a Caddy encolosure - not in the machine.

Any help would be gratefully recieved (and you will be rewarded in heaven).

PS - no data on it, so it's open to any reasonable non violent test...

The old dos way would have been to boot to a full floppy, run FDisk, delete the partitions then repartition and format.

With no malice intended, the fact that you are asking implies that you are not of a techy nature, so.....

Go here http://visopsys.org/partlogic/ and read about and download the tool.

Good luck

Dave

<edit>If you cannot 'see' the drive in the caddy, you may have to open your machine and attach the drive as a slave to do the deed</edit>

<edit>You have a PM</edit>

The old dos way would have been to boot to a full floppy, run FDisk, delete the partitions then repartition and format.

With no malice intended, the fact that you are asking implies that you are not of a techy nature, so.....

Go here http://visopsys.org/partlogic/ and read about and download the tool.

Good luck

Dave

<edit>If you cannot 'see' the drive in the caddy, you may have to open your machine and attach the drive as a slave to do the deed</edit>

<edit>You have a PM</edit>

Cheers - I am in ICT, but not PC's unfortunately!! I'm normally OK though once I get my sense of direction...

Go for it, it really is easy once you understand the concepts of partitioning and repartitioning

PS lurve your avatar!!! :lol:

His avatar tickled me to....hence my sarky remarks :D

Sorry, I cant actually post anything that may help though Jamboo.

Try this:

Right Click on My Computer -> Manage (assuming XP)

Click Disk Management

On the right hand side you should see a graphical representation of your 160GB disk - play around with the partitions - I would expect to see about 150GB "Unused space" in your scenario...

D.

Good thinking Derek!

I'm of the old school that always starts off thinking DOS and I always forget about Manage!!

If we're talking old-skool, then DOS FDISK wont recognise anything bigger than 32GB anyway iirc...

D.

True (I think - not used it for a while)...but then I use other tools that do but still in the dos type arena.

I was actually using FDisk as an example of the genre rather than THE tool to use!!

I'm sure that Jamboo will get it sorted now, and if he doesnt there are enough people here that can advise

Cheers guys - I'll have a good 'ol play later!!

Thanks again - BTW the avatar killed me when I first saw it!!

It was sooooo easy in the end....149gb unused justvas you said...

Poifekt!

Once again thanks for your help....you're the best! :excl:

No probs. I'll get the Unused space figure right next time :lol:

D.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links