Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bmw 850ci

tempo

Just saw a Bmw 850ci 1991 with 150000 on eBay. it appears to be well looked after and i have been speaking to the owner for a swap with my 1995 N reg aristo with 65000 miles. i fancy a change (hold on before you cast me away) i still have a 25000 miles aristo parked in my garage unregistered. i can never go without an aristo i would get withdrawal shakes if i did.

the owner wants 2000 pounds extra + my aristo. that put me off. would it be a good move to go for it. insurance is 200 pounds cheaper than my aristo and i presume the 5litre would be similar consumption to what i get with my 3 litre twin turbo.

Bmw 850 on ebay

I'm a huge fan of the 8 series, mainly cos its the best looking BMW ever made :winky:

I think I'd be weary about buying a car so old, but it looks great B)

Not entirely sure why they stop making them, I know they were hideously expensive mind when they were new. Least you dont have to worry about BMW face lifting this model! :lol:

The usual BMW gizmos go wrong, like dead pixels on dashboards..

Suspension can take a beating, nose cones are very fragile.

Apart from that, they are really wonderful, albeit more of a grand tourer than out and out sports car.

Expect to drink more juice than the aristo..it's got 380bhp, so u'll be getting no more than 10-12 around town....and 20 something on a run

I've always really liked them - even after they were described as a 'Rich mans Probe' :tomato:

Main issues are electrics, when they go wrong it's never a small job and the older they get the harder it will be to get decent parts and hence prices to repair will go up.

If your after a BMW, I have a friend who is selling his 325ci coupe on a 02 plate.

No offence mate, but he's got an Aristo TT with 320bhp, he's considering a 380bhp BMW mack daddy coupe, and he's likely to consider a 325ci? :duh: I'm assuming here!

If he can't find a good 8 series, I'd recommend he hunts out a 540i if he can get one, almost an M5, but dirt cheap, and it's comes with auto! :winky:

"Has been in the family for years" and yet has had 7..... SEVEN !!!!!! previous owners !!???

So what? It's a 15 year old car, that averages out as a keeper change every 2 years. Don't forget that registered keeper is not the same as owner/driver. If it was a company/lease car originally, it will have maybe been pre-registered to the BMW dealer, then to the lease company, then perhaps to the private owner. If he passed it down within his family, it would be a keeper change each time.

My 99 GS has got something like 5 previous owners, but it's mint. On older cars, condition matters more than mileage or no. of keepers.

i wouldn't touch any motor with 5 or even 7 owners and with 150k without having deep pockets. if you are set on a 850i, then look around, go for a low mileage 1 or 2 owner, at least you'll be able to sleep at night.

1 owner fbmwsh £7995

http://www.adoddmotors.co.uk/GetDealer.do?...27&pageid=1

Agreed !!... Nuff said....

The Ed

If your after a BMW, I have a friend who is selling his 325ci coupe on a 02 plate.

No offence mate, but he's got an Aristo TT with 320bhp, he's considering a 380bhp BMW mack daddy coupe, and he's likely to consider a 325ci? :duh: I'm assuming here!

If he can't find a good 8 series, I'd recommend he hunts out a 540i if he can get one, almost an M5, but dirt cheap, and it's comes with auto! :winky:

None taken, its not my car.

the 540i is not nearly an m5,its not even an m3.540i makes less than 310 brake.the m3 is 343bhp.if you wanna compare the m5 with another,then the 760 or the m6 coupe,they make 500 brake.0-60 times of 5.2/4.5 respectively.

the 540i is not nearly an m5,its not even an m3.540i makes less than 310 brake.the m3 is 343bhp.if you wanna compare the m5 with another,then the 760 or the m6 coupe,they make 500 brake.0-60 times of 5.2/4.5 respectively.

I agree with you on the latest models where M5s have huge outputs.

I was actually thinking of the old shape 540i (1994 model) versus a 1994 M5, where the difference was less pronounced between the two models. Since he was looking at early 90s cars!

i wouldn't touch any motor with 5 or even 7 owners and with 150k without having deep pockets. if you are set on a 850i, then look around, go for a low mileage 1 or 2 owner, at least you'll be able to sleep at night.

Tosh! A 1 or 2 owner car low mileage car could be just driven locally with a cold engine whilst it's revved to bits. Not exactly good for the engine!! At least a high mileage car probably had the engine warmed up!

thats right actually the 1996 540i makes 290brake from a v8,and the 1996 m5 make 390.only 100 less,now a day its 200 bhp difference.without M mode selected the M5 is more or less a 540i,as its only running on 350bhp.

Tosh! A 1 or 2 owner car low mileage car could be just driven locally with a cold engine whilst it's revved to bits. Not exactly good for the engine!! At least a high mileage car probably had the engine warmed up!

who said anything about the car being abused buy it's one owner, what makes you think this? why wouldn't one of the seven owners abuse the car, straaaange way of thinking dude.

Hi Tempo,

From what ive read on the 850 the front suspension can have a heavy wear rate because of the large heavy engine upfront and the suspension is costly to renew.

Myself id not buy a car off of eBay because you have to commit yourself first with the money upfront before you see the car in the real world,id rather go and have a look at a few and if there not what you want for one reason or other you can walkaway and just have a look at another one ;)

As to the mpg,i think you will find the car will be alot heavier on fuel,more so in the winter because there so much more engine to warm up everytime so start it from cold.

Myself id be not to worried about high mileage as larger engined cars dont get so much stick most of the time because theres more power/torque and not the need to rev them so hard against say a 1.6 Litre.

Heres afew links with info for you to read up on :)

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0...1460556,00.html

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415060

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews-all-699.html

Hope thats of some help :)

Chips..

"Has been in the family for years" and yet has had 7..... SEVEN !!!!!! previous owners !!???

So what? It's a 15 year old car, that averages out as a keeper change every 2 years. Don't forget that registered keeper is not the same as owner/driver. If it was a company/lease car originally, it will have maybe been pre-registered to the BMW dealer, then to the lease company, then perhaps to the private owner. If he passed it down within his family, it would be a keeper change each time.

My 99 GS has got something like 5 previous owners, but it's mint. On older cars, condition matters more than mileage or no. of keepers.

Ditto,

The number of owners of a vehicle is totally irrelevant - you can have 10 mint owners of a car, but you can have a one owner who has thrashed the a*** out of a car. Check out the car professionally and ecide on that only.

If the car has changed owners without changing the registered keepers address i would take a serious look at an HPI before you buy, as its one way to hide a ringer, once a car is sold 3 times from being stolen it cant be leagally recovered. I'm not saying this car is a ringer BUT give it a good look over before you buy.

Infinity..........