Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Service By Ford?

I have owned an IS200 SE for a few months now, it's done 74K on a 99' plate with full Lexus dealership history. I plan to keep the car for atleast another five years so it won't be worth much when i sell it, would it be worth getting a standard service at Ford for around £35?.

The only catch is I have to buy the parts myself. Can anyone advise me on what I will need i.e. best engine oil and oil filter? and anywhere that is cheap and has quick delivery, so hopefully i can have another five great years of great :driving:

Have you checked out the service prices (which include all the stuff) at Lexus Hanley?

Price list here.

I'd expect your next service to be the same price as the £40K one.

Have you checked out the service prices (which include all the stuff) at Lexus Hanley?

Price list here.

I'd expect your next service to be the same price as the £40K one.

Thanks for the advice eXOBeX i will call Lexus Hanley to get a quote and have a look at how far it is to travel. :)

I drove what would be about a 200 mile round trip for my 50K service, saved over £100 compared to the equivalent at Lexus Cardiff!

Hi,

My boss has his IS200 serviced by a Ford Dealer and they get all the parts in,in advance.Hes very Happy with the workmanship and the money the firm saves up against getting the car serviced by Lexus what with there pricey hourly rate ;)

Id go with the Ford dealer Mr Flibble :winky:

Chips..

I drove what would be about a 200 mile round trip for my 50K service, saved over £100 compared to the equivalent at Lexus Cardiff!

Just checked distance to Lexus Hanley around the same 200 miles round trip. I need the plugs changing too to IK20's (which is included in the Ford quote), is changing the plugs standard on a normal Lexus service?

Just checked distance to Lexus Hanley around the same 200 miles round trip. I need the plugs changing too to IK20's (which is included in the Ford quote), is changing the plugs standard on a normal Lexus service?

The plugs are usually a 60K item, changed mine then. I have had my car just over 2 years and have no plans to change it for a while - if it ain't broke...... - and I have mine serviced at a local garage using lexus parts - had no problems up to now. By the time it come to parting with it a FLSH won't make a lot af difference.

I wouldnt worry about the plugs to much, chances are, Ford will stick some nasty Champion plugs in or base line NGKs.

Engine oil, alot of peeps use Castrol GTX magnatec. 5w-30 or 10w-40 fully synthetic. On a normally aspirated is200, id use the 5w-30 as thats what the handbook recommends, as do Castrol. Looking at about £25 for 4.5 litre, although I think Halfords did have a special offer on it.

Oil filter, id get Lexus/Toyota to supply, there about £8, you need a sump washer....there pennies. The pollen filter is the most expensive part I think, approx £40, air filter around £17.

Think that covers most of the bits they replace at the 80k service.

Hope this helps mate.

I wouldnt worry about the plugs to much, chances are, Ford will stick some nasty Champion plugs in or base line NGKs.

Engine oil, alot of peeps use Castrol GTX magnatec. 5w-30 or 10w-40 fully synthetic. On a normally aspirated is200, id use the 5w-30 as thats what the handbook recommends, as do Castrol. Looking at about £25 for 4.5 litre, although I think halfords did have a special offer on it.

Oil filter, id get Lexus/Toyota to supply, there about £8, you need a sump washer....there pennies. The pollen filter is the most expensive part I think, approx £40, air filter around £17.

Hope this helps mate.

Thanks for the info i thought i'd list the price of the parts i bought incase it helps anyone else looking to buy these servicing parts.

1. Castrol GTX Magnatec 10w-40 fully synthetic 4.5Litres £25 (on offer at the big H)

2. Oil filter from Lexus Cambridge £8 (when their computer system is working!)

3. Pollen filter £40 from Lexus Cambridge

4. Standard Lexus Air Filter £18 from Lexus Cambridge

5. Mintex brake pads front and rear £61 from eBay.co.uk (If they don't need doing can keep them for later)

5. Ford dealership charging around £30 for service (TC Harrison, Stamford, Lincolnshire)

Engine oil, alot of peeps use Castrol GTX magnatec. 5w-30 or 10w-40 fully synthetic. On a normally aspirated is200, id use the 5w-30 as thats what the handbook recommends, as do Castrol. Looking at about £25 for 4.5 litre, although I think halfords did have a special offer on it.

Hope this helps mate.

Hi Kaz,

What difference would the 5w-30 compared to the 10w-40 fully synthetic do to my car?. :duh:

What difference would the 5w-30 compared to the 10w-40 fully synthetic do to my car?. :duh:

The 10w-40 is a thicker oil than 5w-30 right through the operating temperature range. Basically the 5w-30 will be easier to pump around the engine and being thinner when cold will get work quicker on start up.

The 10w-40 is a thicker oil than 5w-30 right through the operating temperature range. Basically the 5w-30 will be easier to pump around the engine and being thinner when cold will get work quicker on start up.

Basically the above :D

May hear the engine tappets a little more than the 10w-40 to, not that you'd need to worry about that.

I bought some Castrol GTX Magnatec 10w-40 fully synthetic from Costco:

9L (2x4.5L packs) for £34 bargain!

That was a bargain, is Costco an online store or an actual shop as I've never heard of it?

40 quid for a pollen filter..u've been robbed..get one for 22.16 from

www.japarts.co.uk or even make one yourself

see http://lexusmodz.netfirms.com/

number 9 on interior mods

Thankyou for the advice on where to get a new pollen filter next time I will take a look at places other than Lexus.

Will this make a big difference to the wear on the engine or impare the performance of the car in any way?

No offence, but why bother making your own, if you want to scrimp and scrape on parts, then don't buy a Lexus. Fair enough I understand people want the best possible price and good value, but would you honestly make your own?

Is the pollen filter from japarts.co.uk genuine out of interest?

No offence, but why bother making your own, if you want to scrimp and scrape on parts, then don't buy a Lexus. Fair enough I understand people want the best possible price and good value, but would you honestly make your own?

Is the pollen filter from japarts.co.uk genuine out of interest?

Yes, it's genuine from Japan. Not Lexus, but OEM spec. I've fitted it in mine. Well, if you are getting the base material that's used for the pollen filter for 80% less money and just spending 2 minutes cutting it to the right size, that's hardly a big deal is it?

You can look at any forum of car enthusiasts, whether it be Merc/Audi/Beemer/Porsche or even Lexus, and there are folks running older models who don't want to be ripped off when you get the same thing for cheaper.