Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220, 250, 350

I'm in Hong Kong, and havent heard any news about the IS300... I cant see them using a 3.0 engine, when every other toyota model is now using the new 3.5 engine... The new Previa uses it, ES350, IS350 in Japan...

strange.

Ill ring my dealership over here.

I wondered at first if they were using the older 3.0 engine for the Chinese market, but does say the engine is a V6 not a straight six.

Could they be fitting thicker liners and smaller pistons to create a 3.0 from the 3.5?

Or is it just a misprint :hehe:

Yes its for real

is300

Highly interesting. What made you look on the Chinese Lexus site anyway?

Notice the different/more limited range of cars, most likely as the Chinese market, although booming/growing, still not "rich" enough to affoard the newer, full range of engines.

D.

I wondered at first if they were using the older 3.0 engine for the Chinese market, but does say the engine is a V6 not a straight six.

Could they be fitting thicker liners and smaller pistons to create a 3.0 from the 3.5?

I'm assuming its the 3 litre V6 out of the current GS300, although as others have said, aren't all the 300s being replaced by the 350 (RX was just replaced, and GS will be shortly from what I've heard)

Unless they're going a bit BMW and introducing an extra engine to the range to have a 250, 300 and 350 (which would be irritating as we still only have the 250)

I'm assuming its the 3 litre V6 out of the current GS300, although as others have said, aren't all the 300s being replaced by the 350 (RX was just replaced, and GS will be shortly from what I've heard)

Unless they're going a bit BMW and introducing an extra engine to the range to have a 250, 300 and 350 (which would be irritating as we still only have the 250)

Looks like this engine without direct injection has been designed specifically for the chinese market. Maybe it has something to do with the quality of petrol back there. But still would be delighted to get it in Europe. For now we only get the underpowered IS250 which is far too heavy for only 208 HP. IS300 or IS350 would be more adequate to compete with german luxury cars.

http://www.clublexis.com/C07/eXcars.nsf/LeClub_2?openpage

http://www.clublexis.com/C07/eXcars.nsf/89...35?OpenDocument

The IS300 will have a 3.0 V6 with 230 BHP and 300 NM

0-100 km/h= 7.7 secs.

Well my first thought was that if we're not getting the IS350 then they should at least bring the IS300 over here! But to be honest performance will be too similar to justify much extra money. They just need to get the IS350 over here :lol:

Instead of muckin' around why don't don't they just give us a IS350 and spend the extra money saved on developing an auto box for the 220d ?

Better still, why not a Hybrid or 6pot diesel? At the end of the day China is pumping out more squirrel killing stuff than the Americans...why add to it...?

Daft question - it's all about making money!

Instead of muckin' around why don't don't they just give us a IS350 and spend the extra money saved on developing an auto box for the 220d ?

Better still, why not a Hybrid or 6pot diesel? At the end of the day China is pumping out more squirrel killing stuff than the Americans...why add to it...?

Daft question - it's all about making money!

I think it must be to keep costs down in a market where spending more won't make much difference, as its essentially recycling the engine out of the GS

In my opinion, they should never have put a diesel in the IS, and gone straight for a performance hybrid - that way we wouldn't need the IS350 anyway :winky:

I have a theory...

Jamboos Theory Number 1xe56mn00001/1

Which reads:

They seem to be using an Old 3.0litre in a market that isn't hampered by stringent emmisions regulations (as far as I know). Shows a caring attitude to the planet...NOT!

They don't want to put an auto box in the diesel. The oiler was to test the water in Europe to see if people would buy a diesel Lex as the direct competition from the germans all have Diesels (and not just one variant, but 4 and 6 pot across the marques).

The plans will be to get rid of the Toyota unit and replace it with a pukka Lexus Diesel or a hybrid, even though they say there won't be one. The point is that they will have to - the New VAG 2.0TDi 170 is a good motor...and when the new A4 is launched people will buy it in droves!!

The fact that the diesel is not getting a good review by the press will mean that it'll last another 12-24 months. Then at mid range face lift it'll be gone and replaced by a Lexus only oiler or a hybrid. They'll have to else the new IS Diesel will not sell well at all...

Theory complete...

But then again my theory could be pants...

I think I can kind of agree with the fact they may scrap the diesel shortly and replace it with a hybrid, which would also explain why we haven't got the IS350, cos otherwise it would die a painful death as the GS430 currently is.

The 3 ltr out of the GS isn't that old though is it? I thought it was an all new engine when the GS was launched last year

Not really sure they'll replace the diesel with another though, because the response to hybrids has been so good. I live in central london, and I see so many RX400s (and increasingly GS450s) that its silly. Barely ever see IS220ds though ;)

My slightly barmier theory is that the IS250 is the car they wanted to sell, and the IS220d was one they threw together to make sure they didn't lose the eco-friendly customers. As soon as they've sold 250s to everyone they think wants one, they'll bring out the hybrid so everyone with either a 250 or 220d swaps over to it - crazy I know but makes fantastic business sense :whistling::shifty:

I think I can kind of agree with the fact they may scrap the diesel shortly and replace it with a hybrid, which would also explain why we haven't got the IS350, cos otherwise it would die a painful death as the GS430 currently is.

The 3 ltr out of the GS isn't that old though is it? I thought it was an all new engine when the GS was launched last year

Not really sure they'll replace the diesel with another though, because the response to hybrids has been so good. I live in central london, and I see so many RX400s (and increasingly GS450s) that its silly. Barely ever see IS220ds though ;)

My slightly barmier theory is that the IS250 is the car they wanted to sell, and the IS220d was one they threw together to make sure they didn't lose the eco-friendly customers. As soon as they've sold 250s to everyone they think wants one, they'll bring out the hybrid so everyone with either a 250 or 220d swaps over to it - crazy I know but makes fantastic business sense :whistling::shifty:

I bet that's actually it. I am so surprised that Lexus didn't make a range of diesels for Europe - it's a seriously lost opportunity - especially when there's no auto option either. And Lexus have proved how good an auto they can make...

The reasoning for me saying it's an "old" engine is that in Europe at least, the emissions targets are getting more and more stringent. So most manufacturers are giving engines 2ish years, then they don't comply. So they have to spend money on a new one or re-develop.

So it's been around for a year, maybe one more year or 2 and that's it. Whereas in China, most of Asia or South America more or less anything goes...so the engines are shipped out there to "milk" the investment in it's initial development. I bet it's not long before GS350 is out too...just like the RX350!!

PS - see this http://www.carpages.co.uk/audi/audi-tdi-engines-18-05-06.asp which is why I think Lexus should worry....the new A4 is likely to be serious competition...yet Lex seems to be investing in Hybrids...when you can drive some Diesels on vegetable oil too....

I bet that's actually it. I am so surprised that Lexus didn't make a range of diesels for Europe - it's a seriously lost opportunity - especially when there's no auto option either. And Lexus have proved how good an auto they can make...

The reasoning for me saying it's an "old" engine is that in Europe at least, the emissions targets are getting more and more stringent. So most manufacturers are giving engines 2ish years, then they don't comply. So they have to spend money on a new one or re-develop.

So it's been around for a year, maybe one more year or 2 and that's it. Whereas in China, most of Asia or South America more or less anything goes...so the engines are shipped out there to "milk" the investment in it's initial development. I bet it's not long before GS350 is out too...just like the RX350!!

Lexus stated that they would never bring a diesal engine to a Lexus until it could meet up to the high standards of refinement expected on Lexus cars. They just need to build on the success of the 220d.

Looking back throigh the Lexus history of things, they never rush into things.

Lexus will not market the IS350 in europe because the market isnt there

they released the IS300 mk1 and sales were poor

funny how everyone says "i want an IS350 " yet drive the IS200 , when the 300 was available

the 300 roughly cost a third more than the 200, so the equivalent 350 would cost around £38000 now who still wants one ?

the reason why they are releasing a 300 in china is because there is a demand there for it , a lot to do with taxes, affordibilty and something about how the numbers 250 are not liked in china !

:)

funny how everyone says "i want an IS350 " yet drive the IS200 , when the 300 was available

the 300 roughly cost a third more than the 200, so the equivalent 350 would cost around £38000 now who still wants one ?

This is verry true Barrie.

Everyone's to quick to say ... "why don't we get the Is350" blah blah blah ......... well, who was too quick to get the IS300's ? Hardly ever sold !!

You can never win !!

This is verry true Barrie.

Everyone's to quick to say ... "why don't we get the Is350" blah blah blah ......... well, who was too quick to get the IS300's ? Hardly ever sold !!

You can never win !!

For me the problem was insurance, can't imagine what insuring a 300 at 19 would have been :o

But if that's true, I can't believe that Lexus are using the sales of the old car to predict those of the new one - they are so different its unbelievable. I love my car, but I also know its flaws, and its fit and finish is not what you'd expect in a luxury car. At the end of the day it was a Toyota. It was also around at a time when the rest of the Lexus range were nothing to get excited about, so they had no brand image.

Fast forward to now, and its a completely different story. The economy is in a position where people spend much more, they're buying much more expensive cars - just simply look at how many BMW 330s you see around.

BMW seems to have lost their way slightly, and Lexus have produced an absolute gem in the new IS - someone needs to give their marketing department a kick up the backside right now. In addition to those who want one, how many others would have swapped the inreasingly delayed orders over to 350s if they would get them quicker ;)

Although the other problem, is the lack of a proper sport model (a la BMW) that's available with leather seats and auto box, etc, they're shooting themselves in the foot with their crazy pricing - if there's one current flaw with Lexus, it is definitely their marketing department in the UK, they really don't have a clue :angry: