Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help Please! Basic Mp3 Player, Recommendations

if a read any more reviews, i'm going to go a bit :hehe: :shutit:

therefore, i call upon my helpful & knowledgeable friends at LOC to come to my assistance

i'm not looking for all the bells & whistles - just that it sounds good (but it's ok if i have to upgrade the headphones, i have got some cracking sennheiser ones 'somewhere'... :blush: ) & has the following:

must be able to work ok from Windows 98SE,

approx 4GB - 8GB capacity,

long life re-chargeable Battery with a/c adapter (not charged thru USB),

easily rip my CD collection to it - doubtful i'll be buying online for a while just yet,

reliable brand - 2 year warranty if possible

max price of £150, but would prefer under £100

erm, i think that's it! it's not a lot to ask for, is it?!

many thanks in advance,

Abbie

I've heard the new Samsung ones are pretty good, and the 4gb model should come under your £150 budget. Sound quality supposed to be better than the nano but haven't heard it myself.

Also, as it plays mp3 and wma, very straightforward if you already use windows media player for your music.

if a read any more reviews, i'm going to go a bit :hehe: :shutit:

therefore, i call upon my helpful & knowledgeable friends at LOC to come to my assistance

i'm not looking for all the bells & whistles - just that it sounds good (but it's ok if i have to upgrade the headphones, i have got some cracking sennheiser ones 'somewhere'... :blush: ) & has the following:

must be able to work ok from Windows 98SE,

approx 4GB - 8GB capacity,

long life re-chargeable battery with a/c adapter (not charged thru USB),

easily rip my CD collection to it - doubtful i'll be buying online for a while just yet,

reliable brand - 2 year warranty if possible

max price of £150, but would prefer under £100

erm, i think that's it! it's not a lot to ask for, is it?!

many thanks in advance,

Abbie

If you're planning on uploading your entire collection, 4-8Gb will be way too low, even on low resolution. I'd go for at least 30Gb

On my 60Gb iPod I have over 5,000 tracks recorded at the highest res, which takes aroun 50Gb.

I also replaced the crappy earphones with a pair of Shure EC4's which are amazing....

If you're planning on uploading your entire collection, 4-8Gb will be way too low, even on low resolution. I'd go for at least 30Gb

nope, only my fave albums of the mo - i sort of switch every now n again between a max of about 10 cd's so thought 4-8GB would be OK.

thanks for the audiograbber link - all info gratefully received! :D

I never put full albums on, infact, the 60gig iPod I have only has about 600 music tracks, the rest is made up of videos.

Many moons ago, I had the iPod mini with 4 gig of memory and that was ideal for 1000 tracks. I thought the headphones you get with the iPods are very to but depends on what sort of music you listen to.

Your main concern is it running on Windows 98. None of the iPods will work on that OS.

That said, I think crastive labs do ok mp3 players that should work fine.

Your main concern is it running on Windows 98. None of the iPods will work on that OS.

That said, I think crastive labs do ok mp3 players that should work fine.

that sounds a bit worrying :unsure: . i know i really liked the look of a new samsung player earlier, but when i checked on the website for them, it was at least XP required. i can't say i've seen it on anything else i've looked at though, but i've only looked at a few in detail -

creative micro 5/6gb really took my fancy but then i've seen a lot of recent reviews where people are on their 3rd or 4th player within the warranty year as so many problems with them. put me off a bit!

sony nwa-1000 6gb was another. the earlier software problems seem to have been sorted but comments have been made about running the new software on anything less than XP may cause problems. real shame as i love my sony bit n bobs that i've already got.

archos gimini was another - but that only seems to be re-charged via USB, unless you can get an a/c adapter for it?

does anyone have any experience of BenQ, HewlettPackard(IF they do one!) or some of the other obscure makers? i've seen a really good PackardBell one earlier & must check that out further.

ah well, the search continues.... ;)

Hi, just my two pence's worth. generally don't stray too far from the apple

brand, but my mate has 1 of these, and if i didn't have an ipod,then prob get summat like this.

iRiver H320 Its got 20gb which is more than you want, but bigger is always better lol! :winky:

Plus it comes with ac adaptor and will work on win98 se.

Just make sure you use your own headphones. And i'm sure you could prob get it cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Sam :D

brand, but my mate has 1 of these, and if i didn't have an ipod,then prob get summat like this.

iRiver H320 Its got 20gb which is more than you want, but bigger is always better lol! :winky:

Just make sure you use your own headphones. And i'm sure you could prob get it cheaper.

Hope this helps.

They get pretty good reviews to from what I have seen. Good suggestion MI_LEX.

Hope this helps.

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: well slap my thigh & call me sally! wonderful MI_LEXX (& Kazi!) :D

i'd just about given up hope & was going to skulk off & find some brick type creature with 512mb/1gb to play with!

i'd been looking at the iriver on the Which website, but only at the 5/6gb models which came out quite badly for poor Battery life. i hadn't even looked at any of the 20gb models (1 of which was a best buy, but needs XP) because i just assumed they'd cost too much.

brilliant! happy days are here again... :whistling::hehe:

thanks again for the input,

Abbie

x

my aforementioned joy on this topic was short lived... :crybaby:

after searching around for ages (again), the H320 shows as a current model on iriver website BUT it seems like it's being phased out as it's in very short supply anywhere. also, more to the point, the price on amazon is for a seller who only has reconditioned models with a 3 month warranty (& from his eBay feedback, sells foreign items & the stated warranty means nothing in the UK anyway!). NOT what i'm after :o the only new ones i could find were well over £200 & out of my budget.

however :D , there are a few 'new' H320's on eBay at the min & i'm just waiting back on my questions to seller before i take the plunge. also discovered that the discontinued iriver H120 runs ok on 98SE & a couple are available on eBay too. this model also gets rave reviews from when it was about a year or so ago.

fingers crossed, i'll be in the possession of a new toy in the near future! :winky:

How about upgrading windows or going dual-boot? Our home PC has Windows 98 and XP. 98 for lots of old educational stuff, games etc for the kids which won't run on XP and XP for me for work.

How about upgrading windows or going dual-boot? Our home PC has Windows 98 and XP. 98 for lots of old educational stuff, games etc for the kids which won't run on XP and XP for me for work.

ahem, you do realise you're speaking to a technical dumb dumb here don't you?! :blush:

what sort of system spec/requirements would i need for this 'dual-boot' (always preferred stilettoes myself :winky: ) thingy?? any websites with further info for me to wander thru?

ta chuck

x

Found another site, http://www.mediaplayerstore.co.uk/

i'll add as and when I find more, Im bored at work so its giving me something to do! :P

:D you're a star! thanks for the link.

bored at work eh? you not watching BB7 live streaming in the duller moments then?! or has it already put you to sleep? whatever you're doing, don't get caught!! :lol:

x

ahem, you do realise you're speaking to a technical dumb dumb here don't you?! :blush:

what sort of system spec/requirements would i need for this 'dual-boot' (always preferred stilettoes myself :winky: ) thingy?? any websites with further info for me to wander thru?

ta chuck

x

Found another site, http://www.mediaplayerstore.co.uk/

i'll add as and when I find more, Im bored at work so its giving me something to do! :P

:D you're a star! thanks for the link.

bored at work eh? you not watching BB7 live streaming in the duller moments then?! or has it already put you to sleep? whatever you're doing, don't get caught!! :lol:

x

Difficult to get caught.....pretty much my own boss :D BB, honestly....as if Id watch that! No more sites as yet, i'll have a snoop around later.

Ok, the best deal i could find was this one - linky- but only has 3 months warranty. :o

The iriver 120 is basically the same, just doesn't have a colour screen, but still good. If you can't find a decent deal, go for 1 of them.

Or, the next best to go for are either iAudio M5 or iAudio X5 which is slightly more than your budget, but you do get a year warranty.

Or, take the plunge and buy an apple mac, and then buy an ipod! :lol:

what sort of system spec/requirements would i need for this 'dual-boot' (always preferred stilettoes myself msn-wink.gif ) thingy?? any websites with further info for me to wander thru?

You need two hard drives or your existing one splitting into two partitions (pretend drives) ie C becomes C and D. Windows 98 stays on C and you install Windows 2000 or XP on D. The processor and memory requirements specified by the evil empire are: Windows 2000 - 133MHz processor, 64Mb memory, 2Gb disk space, Windows XP - 233MHz, 64Mb memory, 1.5Gb disk space. I'm guessing in real life higher spec would be useful though I've not run 2000 or XP on anything less than 450MHz processor with 128Mb ram so I can't say for sure. They work ok with the specs that I've tried.

If your turning your system into a dual-boot one that it might be useful to find a computer geek friend to help you sort it out.

If you don't have the spec thats needed then upgrading memory is easy/cheap and so is hard disk. You can perhaps upgrade the processor a bit within the limits of the motherboard, after that you upgrade the motherboard too but then you start getting into the realms of everything else getting left behind and benefiting from an upgrade eg graphics card etc.

what sort of system spec/requirements would i need for this 'dual-boot' (always preferred stilettoes myself msn-wink.gif ) thingy?? any websites with further info for me to wander thru?

You need two hard drives or your existing one splitting into two partitions (pretend drives) ie C becomes C and D. Windows 98 stays on C and you install Windows 2000 or XP on D. The processor and memory requirements specified by the evil empire are: Windows 2000 - 133MHz processor, 64Mb memory, 2Gb disk space, Windows XP - 233MHz, 64Mb memory, 1.5Gb disk space. I'm guessing in real life higher spec would be useful though I've not run 2000 or XP on anything less than 450MHz processor with 128Mb ram so I can't say for sure. They work ok with the specs that I've tried.

If your turning your system into a dual-boot one that it might be useful to find a computer geek friend to help you sort it out.

If you don't have the spec thats needed then upgrading memory is easy/cheap and so is hard disk. You can perhaps upgrade the processor a bit within the limits of the motherboard, after that you upgrade the motherboard too but then you start getting into the realms of everything else getting left behind and benefiting from an upgrade eg graphics card etc.

Blimey, sounds like hard work even for meself! :duh:

Get a mac mini! Here's why!! :P :P :lol::lol:

Ok, the best deal i could find was this one - linky- but only has 3 months warranty. :o

The iriver 120 is basically the same, just doesn't have a colour screen, but still good. If you can't find a decent deal, go for 1 of them.

Or, the next best to go for are either iAudio M5 or iAudio X5 which is slightly more than your budget, but you do get a year warranty.

Or, take the plunge and buy an apple mac, and then buy an ipod! :lol:

the 3 month one is the guy i mentioned from eBay, they are manufacture refurbs - don't think i'll be touching him with mine, or anyone elses barge pole! :D

i will have a look round at the iaudio ones later tho - thanks for that.

a mac & a pod eh? hmmm, don't think so somehow...(wanders off thinking "is the IS300 really big enough for a ram raid at PC world??? :shifty: )

:blink: blimey, thanks for that but i think i'll need another coffee before i can fully digest & understand! i have a very sneaky suspicion that my pc will be well below the spec required... :blush:

Blimey, sounds like hard work even for meself! :duh:

Get a mac mini! Here's why!! :P :P :lol::lol:

:o i may have this completely wrong, :tomato: , so you just attach the mac mini like an external device? like my cdrw?? hmmm, interesting :shifty:

The mini mac is just another computer, only minature. Somewhat strayed from what you ws asking for but your options are somewhat llimited without upgrading your OS.

MI_LEXX is absolutley right.

YOUR PC is ANCIENT. You need to upgrade anyway.

The Mac Mini would be ideal. And then you can also get an iPod - the best portable music player.

You can also run Windows on the Mac Mini as well as the Mac OS. Full speed, 100% compatible.

(After using Mac OS X you won't want to use Windows anymore)