Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lhs Rear Window Goes Down.... But Not Up!

I'm quite new to my LS too and I'm having fun sorting out her little problems, apart from the rear window...

My LHS rear window only goes down not up!

I have had the door card off and put 12v on the window motor to drive it back up and it went up fine.

The switch on the drivers door does nothing for the window and just the one on that door drives it down only.

(I found this out on the motorway when my 18month old boy figured out the button and wound it down then cried untill I stopped at the motorway services! After dismantling a cigarete lighter based phone charger and lots of cursing I drove the window back up!.)

I swapped switches from RHS rear door to LHS rear door and problem stays on LHS door...

Anyone else had an issue like this?

I've ordered a CD manual off e-bay so hoping the wiring diagram could help :crybaby:

Hi,

Have you tried a electrical tester to see if theres power/how much power is going to the switch/motor?

Id say it sounds like a poor Earth connection because the windows going down slowy and because gravity is helping it,but theres not enough power to make the motor go against the grain.

Hope thats of some help.

Chips..

Hi,

Have you tried a electrical tester to see if theres power/how much power is going to the switch/motor?

Id say it sounds like a poor Earth connection because the windows going down slowy and because gravity is helping it,but theres not enough power to make the motor go against the grain.

Hope thats of some help.

Chips..

The power down was full power!

I did check the output to the motor today with my mulit meter, 12v down 0v up... bugger. :crybaby:

Hi,

Hope thats of some help.

Chips..

The power down was full power!

I did check the output to the motor today with my mulit meter, 12v down 0v up... bugger. :crybaby:

Hi I don't know your year but according to the wiring diagram for a 1994 there are 3 wires to the power window switch on the nearside rear door.

Connecting Blue to Blue/Yellow should wind the window up and Blue to Green/Yellow should wind the window down.

The blue wire is the 12v supply which is the common supply to all the windows.

Steve

Hi I don't know your year but according to the wiring diagram for a 1994 there are 3 wires to the power window switch on the nearside rear door.

Connecting Blue to Blue/Yellow should wind the window up and Blue to Green/Yellow should wind the window down.

The blue wire is the 12v supply which is the common supply to all the windows.

Steve

It's a 92 but I got my manuals on CD this morning so got the wire diagram :winky:

You are right about the wires and this suggests that the grn/yel wire bteween door and master switch is broken.

winding down is blue to blue yel but up is blue to grn/yel = not working

Also master switch does not work either way...

Suggests 12v is connected by blu/yel to grn/yel for up and grn/yel to blu/yel for down.

Just need to rip half the interior out now to follow the continuity back to the break! :tsktsk:

I have had a similar problem before (but not on a Lexus, I add).

It turned out to be where the wiring loom went from the 'B' post into the door, the continual flexing caused fatigue in a wire until they parted.

You may find as I did, that the wires were are small diameter multistranded to be able to take the flexing.

Regards,

Chris Vince