Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mm Hints And Tips Required

This nanny MM system is a bit frustrating, and the sat nav - although good at actually directing, just doesnt seem any bloomin use at all for things like finding restaurants etc? IE we are parked in a huge retail park at Chester yesterday afternoon, surrounded by KFC, Mc, Pizza hut, and BK. Speak to girly " nearest fast food"

she replies " no fast food restauarants in vicinity" WHAT??? I am lookin at the golden arches as she speaks !! Software version of data disk says 2006. and this place has been here ages !

Anyone know the link to the old threads about "hidden commands", and all the other controls that people have found. I am finding it somewhat mind-numbing trying to get my head around all the buttons and knobs

Don't forget that ALL Sat nav software is around 3 years out of date by the time it gets to you !!

The Ed

3 years !! crikey, thats poor. My 18 month old Tom Tom 700 picked up every one of them :whistling:

Matey - I think the problem is that the disc contains all of europe - hence it's light...

A more detailed UK on DVD would have been far far better, with major roads of Europe.

The other threads are somewhat scattered now - but I believe there was one here http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...c=31566&hl=

and here

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...c=34139&hl=

Matey - I think the problem is that the disc contains all of europe - hence it's light...

A more detailed UK on DVD would have been far far better, with major roads of Europe.

The other threads are somewhat scattered now - but I believe there was one here http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...c=31566&hl=

and here

Thanks pal :)

PS has anyone actually used " Im hungry" command and been correctly told of restaurants nearby ?

I have also now tried the " nearest fast food" command several times in different locations and still get NONE - seems a complete waste of time to me - very disappointed :angry:

and here

PS has anyone actually used " Im hungry" command and been correctly told of restaurants nearby ?

I have also now tried the " nearest fast food" command several times in different locations and still get NONE - seems a complete waste of time to me - very disappointed :angry:

i think that mode is for the Americans

and here

:lol: :duh:

I have tried the "I'm Hungry" and it does work. However, like you say, McDonalds do not appear to have affiliated to this version of the software...

Whats strange is that some of the more expensive restaurants do appear on it - maybe they don't want to see Lex drivers eating at McDonalds.... :tomato::excl::blush:

:offtopic:

Did anyone see Pulling Power last night - some Audiophile/Performer rated the MLS in the GS even better than the new 2004 RR Phantom's DVD sound system, and even better than a Cayenne Alpine system costing many many £thousands...

I wonder how the SatNAv would perform in a head to head...I've seen the BMW Nav in the 2006 7 series, and it is very very good....especially with a headup display!

It works for me, but like Jamboo says, it doesn't show any fast food outlets; apparently the American DVD does - says it all really!

Something I do like is the flag that is displayed for the type of restauarent; french, italian, japanese etc. It's a nice touch.

Yesterday, I was in front of a Burger King; I tried this feature and it showed me a list of about 10 McDo restaurants in the wide area... that was pretty funny.

I think it also depends on who is willing to pay for being added as a reference.

I have tried the "I'm Hungry" and it does work. However, like you say, McDonalds do not appear to have affiliated to this version of the software...

Whats strange is that some of the more expensive restaurants do appear on it - maybe they don't want to see Lex drivers eating at McDonalds.... :tomato::excl::blush:

[

It works for me, but like Jamboo says, it doesn't show any fast food outlets; apparently the American DVD does - says it all really!

Something I do like is the flag that is displayed for the type of restauarent; french, italian, japanese etc. It's a nice touch.

Yes I know the command "works"...its just that if, as is the case, it does not actually result in any such information being actually returned then it renders it useless. I can't believe that mcdonalds are not included in the database ( besides someone says they had a return of several Mcds - (when sitting outside a BK tho :blush: ) so they must be included? I am not a fan of Mcds as "restaurants" but when you are on a journey, and just need a drink or an ice cream they are fine, if not pretty well mandatory :blush:

I have seen the fancy flag for french restaurants and the like...but frankly this is just gimmicky and not giving me the info I really want / need.

Nope.....so far my old Tom Tom is winning this particular contest, AND of course I can input loads of different POI databases that people have compiled and made available on WWW.

AND...I can sit at home and plan my journey beforehand, AND I can change my routes etc whilst moving, AND - I had better shut up before wifey reads this and questions me again why we spent over 2k on this MM thing. :duh:

I actually agree with you matey...some of the features are non extistent or too nanny...it spoils the overall product. Personally I hate rubber suction things on the screen on such a classy car...but you do make a very valid point...a system costing soooo much less has better features....

I reck'n there will be an enhancement to the software - which will cost £400+ no doubt and will address this next year...else no one will buy it!! There is insufficient memory to put all POI's on anyway...

I still think that £2700 ain't bad overall - you get voice activation, rear camera, Bluetooth, MLS, full screen satnav. Individually this lot could lots and lots on a BMW or Audi. Well over £3000 and none have the camera or such a good sound system!!

That's what I keep telling the missus! :blush: So all in all it's mixed, but the whole thing does compliment the car overall - wait till you drive a courtesy car without it. You'll miss it and the car will feel bare...that's what I found!!

The problem is that you can't pick and choose what you do buy from that lot like you can in the US version...if only they did that in Blitey!

J

I actually agree with you matey...some of the features are non extistent or too nanny...it spoils the overall product. Personally I hate rubber suction things on the screen on such a classy car...but you do make a very valid point...a system costing soooo much less has better features....

I reck'n there will be an enhancement to the software - which will cost £400+ no doubt and will address this next year...else no one will buy it!! There is insufficient memory to put all POI's on anyway...

I still think that £2700 ain't bad overall - you get voice activation, rear camera, Bluetooth, MLS, full screen satnav. Individually this lot could lots and lots on a BMW or Audi. Well over £3000 and none have the camera or such a good sound system!!

That's what I keep telling the missus! :blush: So all in all it's mixed, but the whole thing does compliment the car overall - wait till you drive a courtesy car without it. You'll miss it and the car will feel bare...that's what I found!!

The problem is that you can't pick and choose what you do buy from that lot like you can in the US version...if only they did that in Blitey!

yes I know overall it is a good system, but as we know, they could have made it "great" :yawn:

PS I thought the dreaded R***les had started this morning on the supermarket run :o ...turned out to be wifey shaking her tic tacs at me :winky: LOL

J

Yes I know overall it is a good system, but as we know, they could have made it "great"

PS I thought the dreaded R***les had started this morning on the supermarket run ...turned out to be wifey shaking her tic tacs at me LOL

and here

Works in sweden .. :) I used it a few times.

It's a health feature :D The Lexus IS wants its drivers to be lead healthy specimens with curves in the right places. That way, you match the cars design and you both look good :lol:

Eating McDs or BKs will only make you look like a BMW owner :winky: