Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello again,

1st of all nobody hurt apart from a stiff neck today.

Last evening whilst driving through Derby the driver in front of me decided to do an emergency stop! to allow another motorist to pull out in front of him.I stopped ok without contact only to be hit by the driver behind me who couldn't stop in time OOOPS!

Got out of my car looked at hers, bumper disintegrated, bonnet a concertina and thought if that's her's whats mine like!

Result nearside exhaust pipe 3" shorter and 4 marks on the bumper and a under bumper trim piece hanging off on one side (ok there may be other damage when it goes in for repairs) but I drove mine home!

Just goes to show there's quality and there's Lexus quality.

One question, if the exhaust has been pushed forward should I insist on a complete replacement as I dont want problems later with stress fractures?

Cheers,

Steve

Of course mate, you are driving one of the most well engineered cars ever! Makes you appreciate having a big heavy car..look how well my LS held up after hitting a tree at 50 and rollin' :D I didn't even have a stiff neck!

I would get the car and exhaust checked over, as even the small shunts can misalign the chassis..I hope you got the details of the guy behind you!!

55412321-M.jpg

Of course mate, you are driving one of the most well engineered cars ever! Makes you appreciate having a big heavy car..look how well my LS held up after hitting a tree at 50 and rollin' :D I didn't even have a stiff neck!

I would get the car and exhaust checked over, as even the small shunts can misalign the chassis..I hope you got the details of the guy behind you!!

55412321-M.jpg

Hi,

Yes the police attended as it was obstructing the road and there were roadworks on lane 2 the police told her that as she had run into the back of me she was liable ( and good news she has insurance!)

My insurers have already made arrangements for estimates,loan car and a solicitor ( been to the GP to report the faulty neck) so it's looking OK.

Still can't believe her car, the bonnet looked in the same state as yours was and this was a 10 mph impact!

Must go now my neck is killing me!!!!

Cheers,

Steve

Yes they certainly are built to withstand everything.

About a week after my dad got his MKIV, some silly tart on her phone in a Punto ran into the back of a Fiesta, which shunted it into the back of the Lexus when stopped at traffic lights, the Punto was mashed right up at the front, Fiesta would definately have been a write off as it was about a foot shorter at both ends and the Lexus suffered two small chips and a light split in the paint which was promptly hidden with a small wipe of T-Cut.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello again,

Last evening whilst driving through Derby the driver in front of me decided to do an emergency stop! to allow another motorist to pull out in front of him.I stopped ok without contact only to be hit by the driver behind me who couldn't stop in time OOOPS!

Got out of my car looked at hers, bumper disintegrated, bonnet a concertina and thought if that's her's whats mine like!

Result nearside exhaust pipe 3" shorter and 4 marks on the bumper and a under bumper trim piece hanging off on one side (ok there may be other damage when it goes in for repairs) but I drove mine home!

One question, if the exhaust has been pushed forward should I insist on a complete replacement as I dont want problems later with stress fractures?

Cheers,

Steve

Shortly after aquiring my Lexus LS400, I backed out of my drive and not being familar with the length of the vehicle promptly reversed straight into the back of a micra. The damage to the poor micra was horrendous, but there was absolutly no damage at all to the Lexus. Then a few days later some idiot parked across my drive, it was a Honda of some sort. I was so annoyed I crept up to the car in the lexus and pushed it backwards, it moved as if it's brakes were off (they weren't). A tank indeed!!

Trevor

Hello again,

Cheers,

Steve

Shortly after aquiring my Lexus LS400, I backed out of my drive and not being familar with the length of the vehicle promptly reversed straight into the back of a micra. The damage to the poor micra was horrendous, but there was absolutly no damage at all to the Lexus. Then a few days later some idiot parked across my drive, it was a Honda of some sort. I was so annoyed I crept up to the car in the lexus and pushed it backwards, it moved as if it's brakes were off (they weren't). A tank indeed!!

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Welcome to the forum on behalf of everyone,

Everything is progressing smoothly with the insurance claim as her insurer's have admitted liability so I am not involving my own insurers.

Cheers,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hey fellow members,

Thank you for the welcome to this marvellous club.

I aquired my '98 Lexus LS400 last year and soon after it developed an annoying fault. Everytime I took the car onto the motorway, after driving at high speed for more than about 20 miles the engine would stall whenever I slowed down. After I restarted the engine it would be fine, but sometimes it was very dangerous. I took it to my local lexus service centre and they were unable to trace the fault and suggested I spend over £1000 on a new ECU. I don't really do too much motorway driving and I've been living with the problem for nearly 12 months until I came across this web site and found a thread where several members had the same fault with their own vehicles. The solution to the problem was found and published by a happy member here. I printed it off and took it with my car last week to have the throttle body cleaned and this procedure has completely cured the fault. Instead of spending £1000+ on something I didn't need (and which wouldn't have solved the fault in any case) I paid £150+vat for 2 hours labour.

I would like to post this on the relevant thread, but can't find it... :blush:

Trevor H

I've a photo (if I can find out how to post it on here) of the family Lexus LS 400 after 130+ head on smash when an on-coming car had a blow out and hit us - we all got out to tell the tale. I reckon this is the safest car to be in.

Every body panel crumpled, every bit of plastic broke, and all the safety pins and gizmos did their job, but everyone inside was cocooned from the impact. Brilliant job done by those Lexus engineers.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Just a quick update the LS/Celsior is now in the Toyota dealer's bodyshop undergoing repairs and should hopefully be ready for the trip to the airport on Wednesday( otherwise the other half won't travel by car!). In the meantime they have loaned me an Avensis VVTI auto! Ok it's a set of wheels but do I miss the LS.

Will let you all know the results later.

Steve