Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Flushing Radiator & Changing Antifreeze

tempo

Just noticed that i have green fluid in my radiator and it doesnt appeared to have been changed the last time i had it serviced. since i have no japanese history with the car i have decided to flust the system and change anti freeze. i dont want to take radiator out as i believe in "if its not broken dont fix it".

the other reason for flushing system is that the engine bay feels very very hot but my temperature gauge never goes over the half way mark. car runs fine but am just thinking if everything is ok.

i have bought 10 litres of toyota long life antifreeze (red one). but i want to make sure am doing everything right.

1. i have opened the radiator cap and opened the drain on the right hand side of rad. i can see fluid escaping but am i draining everything out this way or am i missing something. does the engine block empty this way as i have been told not to mix different colors of anti freeze.

2 what do i check for before or during putting new anti freeze in radiator?

3 how do i avoid air locks?

Just noticed that i have green fluid in my radiator and it doesnt appeared to have been changed the last time i had it serviced. since i have no japanese history with the car i have decided to flust the system and change anti freeze. i dont want to take radiator out as i believe in "if its not broken dont fix it".

the other reason for flushing system is that the engine bay feels very very hot but my temperature gauge never goes over the half way mark. car runs fine but am just thinking if everything is ok.

i have bought 10 litres of toyota long life antifreeze (red one). but i want to make sure am doing everything right.

1. i have opened the radiator cap and opened the drain on the right hand side of rad. i can see fluid escaping but am i draining everything out this way or am i missing something. does the engine block empty this way as i have been told not to mix different colors of anti freeze.

2 what do i check for before or during putting new anti freeze in radiator?

3 how do i avoid air locks?

right disconnecr the hoses from the radiator and whack a garden hose in there and flush the block and rad till its running clear and turn the engine over to flush the block as otherwise you have to remove the pump or thermostat (i'm guessing i did it differently) thats will get most of the fluid out, then simply top up with the proper red coolant. Its self bleeding too so its all good :D .

Just check you haven't got any leaks and you have done the drain up before you refill ;)

thanks for reply. i managed to drain the radiator but didn't go as far as you suggested. i have managed to top up with 5 litres. i will keep topping up to see how much i can put in.

thanks for reply. i managed to drain the radiator but didn't go as far as you suggested. i have managed to top up with 5 litres. i will keep topping up to see how much i can put in.

i think its 7.5l is the system max when i dropped it and replen'd it i got out about 6 3/4 L in total according to the marks on the side of the container then managed to put another 1/4L in later either way its going to be better than the old stuff

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links