Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gas Flowing / Porting, Polishing Cylinder Head

Adie

Whats the best thing to have done to the cylinder head with regards gas flowing, porting and polishing and what's the difference??

I think! its only done to N/A cars to get more power..........all so if you did it to a Turbo,ed car i dont think you would see much more power out of the car..........some one who knows more about this put me right if im not.... ;)

Whats the best thing to have done to the cylinder head with regards gas flowing, porting and polishing and what's the difference??

I think! its only done to N/A cars to get more power..........all so if you did it to a Turbo,ed car i dont think you would see much more power out of the car..........some one who knows more about this put me right if im not.... ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder_head_porting

saves me typing out a lengthy reply :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder_head_porting

saves me typing out a lengthy reply :D

nice one legendswraith :D new someone would be along...............

worth it mate on any car may only be small diff just makes the gases leave smother no nobbles or bobbles at the end of the day every bit counts

exactly!

the smoother the gas flow the less kinetic losses throughout the whole fluid system and less pressure differentials

We did a fair amount of flow bench testing analysis on the is200 cylinder head some time ago. I started a thread here which went off topic a bit.

The intake port efficiency is not as important as the exhaust when using any form of forced induction becasue the intake charge is being compressed. The exhaust flow efficiency is of paramount importance when using forced induction, otherwise the power will be significantly reduced.

The evaluation process revealed that the is200 cylinder head is very particular about how it is modified if it is to flow correctly. We managed to gain a reasonable amount of flow increase from the intake side and a very impressive increase on the exhaust side. This will be ideal for your turbocharger conversion as it will reduce the losses between the exhaust valve and the exhaust manifold, which will help to reduce EGT, improve spool time and generally help power, torque and economy.

yup

also get the exhaust ports matched up on the manifold & head

also inlet ports with inlet manifold

idea is as little disturbance as possible

I've had mine re-done properly and I actually felt the difference :D

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at the manifold gasket on the engine yesterday and there's a good 3-4mm difference. So I would say the difference will definately be noticed.

On the intake side.. Apart from matching the ports up, what else can be done if anything? As the intake manifold is made of plastic I assume that you can't do anything with that?

On the intake side.. Apart from matching the ports up, what else can be done if anything? As the intake manifold is made of plastic I assume that you can't do anything with that?

Plastic? Seems a bit of a strange material unless I an way off on what you mean Adie

I was looking at the manifold gasket on the engine yesterday and there's a good 3-4mm difference. So I would say the difference will definately be noticed.

Be very careful Adie :excl:. We did a lot of air flow testing and research on this head some time ago. The intake port runners do not like being opened up because it causes a reduction in air velocity. All of the gains came from modifications to valve bowl areas. Having said that, if you are looking for power in excess of what the standard port runners can support then they will need to be opened up. This is a science that is calculable.

The exhaust ports are a completely different scenario. The port runners have to be opened up a lot but only in one particular place to avoid spoiling the results.

Airflow technology is a fascinating subject :heart:

Effective head porting is not really a DIY job.

The inlet manifolds are made of plastic.

Hope this helps :)

Be very careful Adie :excl:. We did a lot of air flow testing and research on this head some time ago. The intake port runners do not like being opened up because it causes a reduction in air velocity. All of the gains came from modifications to valve bowl areas. Having said that, if you are looking for power in excess of what the standard port runners can support then they will need to be opened up. This is a science that is calculable.

The exhaust ports are a completely different scenario. The port runners have to be opened up a lot but only in one particular place to avoid spoiling the results.

Airflow technology is a fascinating subject :heart:

Effective head porting is not really a DIY job.

The inlet manifolds are made of plastic.

Hope this helps :)

are you trying to say that the days of standing with die grinder, grinding paste and stick are gone :D (thank *** for that)

yes i agree fluid dynamics is fun if a little mind boggling at times when you get alot of variables.

Did you get the gains from smoothing the valve bowl areas then ?

Plastic? Seems a bit of a strange material unless I an way off on what you mean Adie

yep its plastic, quite a lot are now, the altezza is still alloy isnt it?

Did you get the gains from smoothing the valve bowl areas then ?

It's more to do with "reshaping" and increasing the volume without reducing velocity. Special valve seat profiles also assist in low lift areas.

I love this stuff. It's one of the true arts of tuning.

yep its plastic, quite a lot are now, the altezza is still alloy isnt it?

Very true Rob. Even BMW, Ford and Mercedes use plastic inlet manifolds nowadays. All of the Totyota 3S engines still use alloy I believe though.

I wonder how strong the is200 inlet maniofld is, and who is going to be the 1st to use sufficient boost pressure to burst one? :duh:

might be one of the true arts Mark but i bet when all else fails the chicken bones come out ;) :D

i suppose exhaust side you want velocity and inlet side you want pressure. I'd still love to see the working out sheet for the sums though lol