Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alloy Wheels......

Question for you all......

Bought my Aug 99 IS200 in April 02 (from a Lexus dealer) its now done 44k miles and when washing it y/day noticed that the dreaded pitting has appeared on 3 wheels........

As shes over 3 years old do you think I have a claim :o

Don't want to make a big fuss if the consensus is she's too old......

Any advice/strategy appreciated :whistling:

Thanks people......

Whats annoyed me is prior to them servicing it (they washed it for me) I didnt have a problem.......methinks they used some alloy wheel cleaner which lifted the lacquer in places......now we have brake dust underneath it........

Looks under table for diplomatic head....... :huh:

This is just an idea, but my alloys began pitting after 7 months and i am waiting for a new set to arrive.

If the wheels have only started pitting now could it be that the wheels have already been changed under warranty, and if so do they come with their own 3 three warranty. This could mean they are still covered. Try contacting the previous owner.

As i say this is just and idea.

Also i am being told by the dealer that the reason for the delay (6 weeks) is that Lexus are now issuing new alloys with rounded edges rather than the standard square edges. Is this the case?

If so what do they look like?

As you bought it in April 02 from a main dealer, did you not get a 12 months warranty? Could you not claim under that?

Agree with Rich - you should have them covered under the 12 month second hand car warranty - I did.... :D

Zee, your car was still covered by the original 3 year/60K mile manufacturers warranty wasn't it? They probably replaced the wheels under that.

The second hand warranties tend not to be as comprehensive. For example if your CD player went wrong after 3 years but within the one year second hand warranty it would be repaired not replaced. If it was within the original 3 years/60K miles it would just be replaced.

Zee, your car was still covered by the original 3 year/60K mile manufacturers warranty wasn't it? They probably replaced the wheels under that.

The second hand warranties tend not to be as comprehensive. For example if your CD player went wrong after 3 years but within the one year second hand warranty it would be repaired not replaced. If it was within the original 3 years/60K miles it would just be replaced.

Rich - I think mine was the 12 month one to be honest with you. I'll check tonight, but I don't think it was the 3 year one.... :unsure:

aug 99

aug 00 1 year

aug 01 2 years

aug 02 3 years :(

However ........ will call the dealer tomorrow and see how I go.........

My tactic will be I'm looking to get a sportcross in Sept 03 when I get a bonus........he lies :sick::crying::yahoo::yahoo:

hopefully the potential sale will see me get lucky...... :hocus-pokus:

If not..........will extract my letter writing pen and write to HQ :alien:

I thought when you bought an approved used Lexus you got a minimum 1 year warranty (which would be from April 2002 to April 2003).

I just had a look at the Lexus website for approved used cars and it does say:

Lexus Approved Used Cars include:

Lexus Warranty: Minimum of 12 months, unlimited mileage

So yours should still be covered.

just rang Lexus garage............Not covered.........but will refurb them at my cost.......... :angry:

Looked at warranty........gives list of excluded items and alloy wheels not mentioned :P so by definition if not excluded then its included :backofnet:

Will write a stroppy letter right away

• 3 weeks later...

Heard back from Lexus bromley today :angry:

they say that the warranty company say the wheels are not covered for corrosion....despite what the warranty says

they say they have contacted Lexus GB to see what they can do.......

am waiting for a return call from the author of the letter, will tell him either its sorted ASAP or his Lexus Bromley will be appearing on BBC Watchdog :backofnet:

Just tried with my motor a couple of months out of warranty and Lexus will not entertain it. But the Toyata dealer where I bought the car from had another IS200 on the forecourt fitted with refurbed wheels - Did a sawo after a lot of haggling and now got 4 nice painted wheels

:backofnet:

My GS wheels were pitted and Lexus UK readily authorised replacement at nearly 3 years old and 45,000 miles.

Work carried out by Lexus Guildford at LUK's cost.

Made me a happy bunny :rolleyes:. From some of the posts, I must have got them on a good day.

Update......

Got fed up waiting for Lexus Bromley to call me back so called them.

Have shifted responsibility to Lexus GB.

Did'nt argue with my statement that it was a known problem etc..

When I said i was going to contact Watchdog about the farce he said he'd chase Lexus up and call me later on today :whistling:

Lets wait and see :hocus-pokus: