Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Possible New Buyer Rx300

Hi Guys

I have been an IS200 SE owner and LOC member since May 03 and must admit that apart from the odd niggle or 2, its been troublefree motoring.

I am now looking to upgrade to an RX 300, seeing that the prices seem to have come down a great deal in recent months.

I have had a scan of the RX300 forum to see if there is a definitive list of known issues with the RX300 and I cant find anything beyond the lurching gearbox and wheel corrosion problem.

I would appreciate if you could give me some pointers towards where the weakness areas with the RX300 are.

I am also unable to find details of the specs for the RX 300, SE, SE-L and Limited Edition. Which is the one to go for?

Any help is appreciated.

I too have recently changed to an RX 300 having had 2 IS's.

I was very specific in what I wanted in terms of coour and spec. The specs are posted on the site. For me Sat Nav was a must.

After a few weeks my local dealer found me a car to may spec, right colour, an SEL so with Nav on a 04 plate and 17,000 miles.

So I think first advice decide what you want and be patient there are plenty of cars out there. Since I got my car I have done just over 1k miles. Main things I have noticed are:

Yes there is a slight lurch but not so much that I would ever complain.

Fuel economy a big drop from the IS.

No where as quick off the lights.

Less sure around corners.

On the plus side, so spacious.

Loads of toys.

kids love it especially the auto close boot (I think standard on the SE and SEL not the standard or LE)

Went to Ikea at the weekend fitted in 3 bookshelves, large desk, cupboard no problems and still had the little one secure in the back. NEVER have done that in my IS.

SO all in all I am very happy with it. Go for it!

Thanks Damer.

Is it worth sticking to the main dealers to buy one. I notice a fair few advertised for private sale. Being what they are, a Lexus with FLSH and reasonable mileage should be a fairly safe bet. I'll try and seek one out with atleast some warranty.

I believe the SE-L has air suspension. Does it not needlessly complicates the whole set up?

Thanks Damer.

Is it worth sticking to the main dealers to buy one. I notice a fair few advertised for private sale. Being what they are, a Lexus with FLSH and reasonable mileage should be a fairly safe bet. I'll try and seek one out with atleast some warranty.

I believe the SE-L has air suspension. Does it not needlessly complicates the whole set up?

yes is does have the air suspension, quite funky raising it up and down, also has the Levenson stereo and sat nav.

I mainly went back to main dealer for piece of mind plus they took my IS as PX. Mine has got 12 months factory warrenty left, plus when I got it the had touched up some minor scratches and 4 new alloys.

what benefit does the air suspension offer over the normal spring suspension in normal road driving? I believe that the range rover etc use the air suspension to reduce roll in normal conditions and to lower the car on motorway at speeds or raise it for offroading.

what benefit does the air suspension offer over the normal spring suspension in normal road driving? I believe that the range rover etc use the air suspension to reduce roll in normal conditions and to lower the car on motorway at speeds or raise it for offroading.

Having not driven one without air suspension so I can't compare but yes you can lower for motorways, raise for off road it has a very comfy ride, also lowers a little when you park easier to get in and out of.