Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

£1000 Less Tax...

derekyau

Hi ya'll,

Just wondering what people think I should do.

Basically, some of you may know I will be starting my new job soon (see here)

On Friday 7th July I was told that I got the job.

Later that afternoon, I was told that I would get a £2000 bonus for putting up with the lack of pay-rises, appraisals etc due to the recent take-over of my present company. It was essentially for the patience/work already done. £1000 would be payable in July's pay packet. The other £1k would be payable in Dec. This was only delivered to myself verbally by my manager.

I handed in my notice on Monday 10th of July.

I have just been paid yesterday, but it was not included. Other's (who have not resigned/serving notice) did receive it...

Soooo....

Do I bother take it up with them?

Are they obliged to pay it?

I came accross this link which suggests that if it was to go to court, the law would take my side (the employee...).

On the other hand, do I really want to have left this company "on bad terms" in terms of future references from them...

Any thoughts please peeps?

D.

But by their very nature, if a bonus isn't written into your contract, they have no obligation to pay it to you.

You might have a case seeing as everyone else has reveived theres, but then again you have handed in your notice.

I wouldn't bother chasing it, it'll be more hassle than it's worth.

At my place of work it very clearly states that if you resign or hand in your notice before bonus is paid you lose it. Further more over a certain threshold they split it into June and december payments, just as a little tempter to keep you on. I am on 6 months notice not that I am looking to leave but I would be s#@$wed if I ever did.

A previous firm I worked at agreed a back dated pay rise, then shortly after I handed in my notice. I then lost out my pay rise. All I did was after I left was write to the boss stating how disapointed I was that he hadn't honoured his promise and that if he treated people like that no suprise that they leave. Nothing happened but I found writing the letter very satisfying.

Not unless it's stipulated in the contract.

My contract mearly states that my bonus is at the "discretion of the director".

And mine comes at the end of August, so am on my best behaviour now :lol:

It is "classed" as a discretionary bonus... but laugh as you may, I never did receive a contract of employment at all from my current firm - just a letter stating "we'll av ya" and start date, pay and holidays...

Things would be much clearer if I had a contract like yours Nick.

I'm thinking it aint worth the bother then really.

Onwards and forwards to bigger and better things. :)

D.

At my place of work it very clearly states that if you resign or hand in your notice before bonus is paid you lose it. Further more over a certain threshold they split it into June and december payments, just as a little tempter to keep you on. I am on 6 months notice not that I am looking to leave but I would be s#@$wed if I ever did.

A previous firm I worked at agreed a back dated pay rise, then shortly after I handed in my notice. I then lost out my pay rise. All I did was after I left was write to the boss stating how disapointed I was that he hadn't honoured his promise and that if he treated people like that no suprise that they leave. Nothing happened but I found writing the letter very satisfying.

Fine if you got a definitive black and white bit of paper stating this clearly - I never did...

And 6 months notice?!!?!?!? What do you do that requires you for a 6 month notice period???

I'd love to write a letter/e-mail for the satisfaction at least, but then again, I may need my current company for future references... I'm guessing you have not needed to?

D.

6 months I know is a long time. I am a Partner at a firm of property consultants.

I never thought about the implications about writing such a letter on references, I am sure that if anything did happen if you explained to new employer they would understand.