Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tte Bumper

Its covered in the workshop forum:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...p?showtopic=494

The instructions are for removing the headlight but amongst that is how to remove the bumper.

What colour's your car? (I'm looking out for a replacement front bumper)

Fairly easy as Javadude says.

Remove the front grill, little bit fiddly getting between the plastic wheel arching and access to the two headlight nuts, then there is a fixture either side of the bumber holding it in place to the wheel arch. Then there a few fixings from the under tray to the bumper.

Guide is dead easy to follow though Dino.

Its covered in the workshop forum:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...p?showtopic=494

The instructions are for removing the headlight but amongst that is how to remove the bumper.

What colour's your car? (I'm looking out for a replacement front bumper)

1CO silver with a sports grill. The passenger side of the bumper has what looks likes scratches but its the paint behind the lacquer thats cracked due to a touch by someone. You can only see it close up.

Sounds like its probably in better condition than mine. Got a picture? Looking to sell it?

Yes I am looking to sell it, I will put the picture tomorrow hopefully. What sort of price?

Fairly easy as Javadude says.

Remove the front grill, little bit fiddly getting between the plastic wheel arching and access to the two headlight nuts, then there is a fixture either side of the bumber holding it in place to the wheel arch. Then there a few fixings from the under tray to the bumper.

Guide is dead easy to follow though Dino.

Thanksmate, why do I need to undo the headlight screws under the arches to remove the bumper?

Difficult to explain, Jap over engineering I guess you could say, but trust me you do need to remove the headlights. It also ensures the new bumper can be correctly aligned and fitted.

on the grille remove middle screw and 4 plastic 1/4 turn studs either side of grille, remove bolts from front lower edge of bumper, peel back arch liners and where bumper meets wing arch there is 1 screw here on each side.

next step easier with 2 people ---

pull bumper forward slightly and lower, remove headlight wash pipe and also fog light connectors, then fully remove bumper.

NO need to remove any bolts to do with headlights

on the grille remove middle screw and 4 plastic 1/4 turn studs either side of grille, remove bolts from front lower edge of bumper, peel back arch liners and where bumper meets wing arch there is 1 screw here on each side.

next step easier with 2 people ---

pull bumper forward slightly and lower, remove headlight wash pipe and also fog light connectors, then fully remove bumper.

NO need to remove any bolts to do with headlights

I beg to differ, I could not align my bumper back properly because the headlights were still in.

I beg to differ, I could not align my bumper back properly because the headlights were still in.

But the headlights have to go back in before the bumper if you've removed them. I've also managed to remove and replace my bumper fine without removing the headlights.

I've just had a TTE bumper delivered this morning (must be the season or something :blink: ) so this is quite helpful thanks.

I've got a slightly different question though, the paint appears to have lots of hairline cracks in it, the surface of the paint isn't broken and it feels smooth too, so I assume its cracked under flexing in transit or something.

Does this mean it needs a respray, or will a proper polish bring it out? And if it will, do I need to take it to a bodyshop or will people like chipsaway be able to do it too (because there are a few chips in it I wouldn't mind having taken out at the same time)

Thanks in advance :)

if it is cracked no amount of polishing will take it out, if you are not happy then send it back ( if you can?) no point starting to repair a brand new item.

KAZI - i am really really surprised that you had to do anything with the headlights to remove or install a bumper, i have had my bumper off numerous times and have never had an alignment issue - PROVIDING you ensure everything is located properly and is in place, esp around the rear attaching bolt.

this might have been your problem?

if it is cracked no amount of polishing will take it out, if you are not happy then send it back ( if you can?) no point starting to repair a brand new item.

KAZI - i am really really surprised that you had to do anything with the headlights to remove or install a bumper, i have had my bumper off numerous times and have never had an alignment issue - PROVIDING you ensure everything is located properly and is in place, esp around the rear attaching bolt.

this might have been your problem?

Possibly Rob, mines got to come off again anway so i'll check this. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I'm starting to think that too. It isn't brand new though, got it off eBay and for a price where I was kind of expecting a respray anyway :winky:

I've stuck a pic of it below to show what I'm talking about, the flash has really brought it out:

173991836.jpg

it has flexed at some point and the paint has cracked - depends where on the bumper it is and if it can be seen???

kazi- just take your time, you will see if the alignment is ok by looking at the gaps along the wing, fit all the bolts but dont tighten anything then get the bolts behind the bumper tightened up a bit then tighten the rest, just take it in stages and check everything is ok.

I've just had a TTE bumper delivered this morning (must be the season or something ) so this is quite helpful thanks.

Me too!! Certainly must be the season, been a few on eBay recently too, still 1 on there in black but at a starting price of £250!!!

I've stuck a pic of it below to show what I'm talking about, the flash has really brought it out:

That looks quite bad! But if you got it cheap then i suppose a respray won't put you too out of pocket!

Helpful post though thanks DINO, looks like a few of us are gonna benefit!

Dino & parthiban

Were u get ur TTE bumper from and how much did u pay

Bull

I got mine off eBay, cost £45 (of which £15 was p+p) so can't really complain that it needed a respray :)

Yeah with so many on eBay going around the £150 mark, I was surprised that no one else bid against me :o

Dino & parthiban

Bull

Hi,

I have put the bumper on, and what a difference it makes to the car, looks mean. I won the bumper off eBay at £235, brand new, never been fitted as the guy sold his IS200. And guess what the bumper is new with all the fittings including wash jet, hoses etc.. and extra clips incase I brake a few, which I did. Took an hour to put it on and the colour matches exactly as it was factory painted. What a bargain.

Cool. Its pretty easy to do isn't it. I've had mine off a few times now to fit headlights and cool air feed. Got any pictures yet of the new one on? (And the state of the old one?)

Cool. Its pretty easy to do isn't it. I've had mine off a few times now to fit headlights and cool air feed. Got any pictures yet of the new one on? (And the state of the old one?)

Unfortunatley, i'm at work from today till Sunday. i will hopefully post some pics on Monday, of both the old and new.

got mine off ebay, cost £45 (of which £15 was p+p) so can't really complain that it needed a respray

Yeah with so many on ebay going around the £150 mark, I was surprised that no one else bid against me

I saw the blue one you won on there too, was gonna bid against you but was watching the black one that i won for £155 plus P&P, would have had to spray the blue anyway but that was a bargain!

I have put the bumper on, and what a difference it makes to the car, looks mean. I won the bumper off ebay at £235, brand new, never been fitted as the guy sold his IS200. And guess what the bumper is new with all the fittings including wash jet, hoses etc.. and extra clips incase I brake a few, which I did. Took an hour to put it on and the colour matches exactly as it was factory painted. What a bargain.

That really was a bargain, saw that one too, lucky you got the washer jets in place with your one, i didn't get any on mine, although it looks smoother without i will try and fit my old ones on, don't know if its just a case of making a hole and fitting them on?

Bull

There is still quite a few on eBay now, just saw another black 1 up today with no reserve and 99p start, there is another black one up which has been on a few times don't seem he can get rid of it as he keeps putting a starting price of £250, although brand new with washer jets its the low starting prices that seem to make the most money!