Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Paintwork

Very funny but there is arattle but whats that got do with paint. Douh! :winky:

lol .... well, I thought the Rattle's now come free with every new IS Purchase :lol:

...... Have you treid the detailing section of this site ?

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/carcare/

Great tips, on how to make the surface protective and cover and small scratches up! :D

Very funny but there is arattle but whats that got do with paint. Douh! :winky:

lol .... well, I thought the Rattle's now come free with every new IS Purchase :lol:

...... Have you treid the detailing section of this site ?

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/carcare/

Great tips, on how to make the surface protective and cover and small scratches up! :D

Cheers for that. but was looking for feed back to see if anybody thought some paintwork problem as read somewhere a guyy's wife was laughing at all that money for rattles and crap paint!

Got new canterbury blue is 250, it wasn't supagaurded as told look after car so not needed. Very dissappointed with paintwork a few scratches through to whit and a lot of surface scratches. Any thoughts!

Some cars have less paint resistant than the others, even of the same model. If there're a lot of chips that look like paint's faulty you can contact Lexus GB requesting for a respray.

Cheers for that. but was looking for feed back to see if anybody thought some paintwork problem as read somewhere a guyy's wife was laughing at all that money for rattles and crap paint!

Yeah, that was my missus. Done 9000 miles and the IS220d is covered in stone chips and scratches - it is black though, which doesn't help. It seems less resiliant than my previous IS300.

Also, a local valeter reckoned that the paintwork hadn't had been electrically discharged when it left the factory and this explains why I can't get dust off the car no matter how hard you polish and wax it. Everything sticks to the car.

It's in for the seatbelt recall next week and I going to see how well Lexus do with cleaning it.

Got new canterbury blue is 250, it wasn't supagaurded as told look after car so not needed. Very dissappointed with paintwork a few scratches through to whit and a lot of surface scratches. Any thoughts!

I have a mate with a new 220d in Canterbury Blue, he never looks after company cars so it's been through a car wash at least 20 times :o , parks in it the trees/bushes near his house, basically treats it like it was a 15 year old Fiesta Pop plus. Apart from a few swirls from the car washes though it's is still in remarkably good condition, might be worth going back to the dealer and seeing what you can push them to if some of the colours are known to be soft or have a low durability.

Well in my experience the paint on the new IS is very weak. I have the Cadoxton Slate, and it too scratches easily and exposes fine white undercoat at the mearest of brush pasts or door bangs. :crying:

Also, my paintwork has been seriously damaged by bird crap. :tsktsk: The roof has many scars and the passenger door is marked by acid damage from bird muck. I spoke to the dealer who said it is not covered under warranty and I should call their bodyshop for a quote for a full body buff. :whistling:

Not bloody likely ! They are part of the SmithKnightFay group, expensive and cow boys.

I have just purchased a pack of Quixx polish and will try to polish out one of the marks to see if that works.

I have had a Lexus IS200 Sport (Met Blue) from new for 3 years and never had these problems. Parked the car under the same tree, same bird muck (well same feeding area & birds species), and no such damage seen.

:excl: Conclusion: The new IS paintwork is rubbish !! Weak and not fit for purpose. A bit like the old IS original wheels and lacquer... Lexus had to replace these for the UK market, after many complaints of early corrosion.

Also, my paintwork has been seriously damaged by bird crap. :tsktsk: The roof has many scars and the passenger door is marked by acid damage from bird muck. I spoke to the dealer who said it is not covered under warranty and I should call their bodyshop for a quote for a full body buff. :whistling:

Not bloody likely ! They are part of the SmithKnightFay group, expensive and cow boys.

Good move. With a "full body buff" most paintshops will just make your paintwork worse, it'll be full of swirls and shimmers because they can't use an orbital buffer properly, especially on black paintwork.

Don't go near a bodyshop unless you have to! Good ones are few and far between.

We have a Honda Jazz that is also very weak in the paint department. I just got a cheapo Makro £12 offset orbital polisher and the car has come up like new...it's probably no where near as good as porter polisher, but hey at that price who cares?

Maguires Scratch X is good at getting rid of swirls etc, but it's hard to rub off. You have to use a Damp cloth!!

My Mesa Red IS is more resilient to the odd encounter than the Jazz, however, it's no where nearly as tough as my old '52 plated A4 was...

Something to do with waterbased paints? Kinder to the enviroment? Cheap and thin? Dunno...paint is paint, and it's a very shiny thin coat on the outside of the metal...and will not perform miracles.

Mercedes were talking about a paint type which was much stronger and denser, Nissan had self healing paint...anyone know what Lexus are up to?

We have a Honda Jazz that is also very weak in the paint department. I just got a cheapo Makro £12 offset orbital polisher and the car has come up like new...it's probably no where near as good as porter polisher, but hey at that price who cares?

Maguires Scratch X is good at getting rid of swirls etc, but it's hard to rub off. You have to use a Damp cloth!!

My Mesa Red IS is more resilient to the odd encounter than the Jazz, however, it's no where nearly as tough as my old '52 plated A4 was...

Something to do with waterbased paints? Kinder to the enviroment? Cheap and thin? Dunno...paint is paint, and it's a very shiny thin coat on the outside of the metal...and will not perform miracles.

Mercedes were talking about a paint type which was much stronger and denser, Nissan had self healing paint...anyone know what Lexus are up to?

I agree with Jamboo its the new paint specs, car paint now being water based rather than oil or synthetic based thinners, makes it so much thinner so they use thicker primer/reface to get a somth surface before colour and glaze.

Mate has a new black beamer 06 from May with 8k on mostly mway miles and it looks like its be shot with a blunderbus already.

Infinity..............

Infinity....

I really do think these are a good idea:

http://www.stickercity.com/store/home.php?cat=362

or

http://www.rhinoprotect.co.uk/vehicle_chooser.html

Having said that, and having done all the Carlack stuff I only have one minor chip on the front bumper of my IS, nothing more. I wonder if it does somehow help????

I'm also seriously considering getting some good quality, but subtle door fenders. The trick is that they have to suit the car, else they look CHAV, and have to be right else they would look daft.

I recently saw a Honda Accord with the optional Factory made guards on the doors and bumpers, which were body colour. Lexus really ought to have some made...even at a price, I think they are worth it, and on the Honda looked OK.

Well in my experience the paint on the new IS is very weak. I have the Cadoxton Slate, and it too scratches easily and exposes fine white undercoat at the mearest of brush pasts or door bangs. :crying:

I have just purchased a pack of Quixx polish and will try to polish out one of the marks to see if that works.

I have had a Lexus IS200 Sport (Met Blue) from new for 3 years and never had these problems. Parked the car under the same tree, same bird muck (well same feeding area & birds species), and no such damage seen.

:excl: Conclusion: The new IS paintwork is rubbish !! Weak and not fit for purpose. A bit like the old IS original wheels and lacquer... Lexus had to replace these for the UK market, after many complaints of early corrosion.

I will have to contact my dealer as that is the same problem, buy they will probably say wear and tear but i will mention this site as this looks as though it is a problem and if there is enough complaints they might do something about it. :crybaby: