Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oil Pressure Problem

SteveL

Guys, can anyone please help me? Have tried over on the Lancer registry with no luck

I think i have a problem with the oil pressure on my Evo. Had a pressure gauge fitted by BTR Prep last week using a sandwich plate at the oil filter. Since having it sone i've only only driven round town, where the gauge has been pretty constant. But yesterday had a 50mile motorway run and the following happened.

For the record, this all occurred in 5th at around 70 (tried to keep speed even as possible to have a good look at it)

For the first 15 miles or so of motorway, the gauge sat pretty level and constant around 60 psi.

However, for the next 15 miles or so it went absolutely mental! it was fluctuating like a loon anywhere between 70psi and off the end of the gauge (gauge measures to 150psi), never picking a constant point, it was always moving up and down rapidly.

Then for the rest of the journey, it calmed down slighty, fluctuating between 90 and 110psi mainly, but still going higher fairly often

Back in town it seemed to calm down, althought the fluctuations still occurred ever so often

Today, back driving round town, its constant again.

Surely this can't be normal? Any idea on what it could be? Heeeeeeeeeelp

@ rob and mike, i certainly intend on taking it back. Thought i'd pop a quick post on here first to see if anyone had any suggestions as to possible causes for a couple of reasons. Firstly cars aint my strongest point, so i thought if anyone could come up with suggestions i could maybe verify a little what they may say, and not hopefully get taken for a ride. And secondly, i aint paid for the work that was carried out yet

@Daza, its an Evo IV mate, only mods are induction kit and dump valve. If you do speak to Jsse, its in the technical section of MLR

Any other suggestions as to what could be causing it to go mental :unsure:

cheers guys B)

I would say the guage is faulty, as at those kinds of pressures it would have possibly popped the dipstick out! :blink:

Thats a good point about the dipstick Tony. I had seen another thread on MLR where someone's kept popping out. I've checked mine and its still fully wedged in.

I had considered faulty gauge, but it seems to work fine as the car is warming up, and for normal journeys at lower speeds. It only seems to go loopy at higher speeds when its fully warm, and then its calmed down.

Just out of interest, wht sort of damage can high oil pressures do :duh:

I would say the guage is faulty, as at those kinds of pressures it would have possibly popped the dipstick out! :blink:

Thats a good point about the dipstick Tony. I had seen another thread on MLR where someone's kept popping out. I've checked mine and its still fully wedged in.

I had considered faulty gauge, but it seems to work fine as the car is warming up, and for normal journeys at lower speeds. It only seems to go loopy at higher speeds when its fully warm, and then its calmed down.

I would guess high pressures could possibly damage your seals (front/rear main bearing, and valve stem seals), this usually happens when the engine is overfilled, which may seem like a daft question Steve, but have you checked that your engine isn't overfilled? :blush:

I would guess high pressures could possibly damage your seals (front/rear main bearing, and valve stem seals), this usually happens when the engine is overfilled, which may seem like a daft question Steve, but have you checked that your engine isn't overfilled? :blush:

I must admit, i havent checked that :tomato: . top idea. i shall check shortly :)