Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone :D

I'm a bit of a newbie here but have been looking for an LS for some time and stumbled across this site, I've been an avid reader ever since.

I picked up my new LS yesterday. It's a '95 (M) Mk3 140k FLSH in two-tone blue-over-grey. I checked all the normal weak spots and the only problems I can find (other than minor cosmetic ones) are the LCD on the stereo is dying and the CD changer doesn't appear to work (Err 16, anyone?).

Anyway, to cut a long story (and it is a LOOONNNGGG story) short(er), 25 miles covered on my journey home and the temperature needle is hovering around 3/4 and rising fast so I pull over and there isa hearty amount of steam billowing from under the bonnet :crying:

RAC come out and tell me that it's not the head gasket (big relief) but could be the thermostat. Checks the thermostat....IT'S NOT THERE!!!

So, cursing the bloke who sold me it :tsktsk: I call him and, well, the next bit is unprecidented, he apologises profusely and tells me he still has my cash and if I get a tow back to his he will refund me.

4 hours later with my new baby on the back of a low loader I get my money back and head off home (10 hours after setting out).

After this essay (sorry, got a bit carried away, it was an emotional day) I have 2 comments / questions:

1/ The LS is a stunning car to drive even judging by the 25 miles I drove and I now KNOW I want one

but

2/ The guy's offered to get all the work required done on this one if I still want it and it is cheap. Ok it's done 140k but it's got brand new 18" chrome wheels and tires (and the originals) and it in generally good nick and I paid £1950. Do I trust it or steer clear? I presume someone has removed the thermo to cover up another problem, but what could that be?

Thanks everone for listening to my ramblings and I hope to start my LS ownership in ernest soon.

Phil

Hi and welcome to LOC Phil :D

The lack of a thermostat would not cause overheating, infact the opposite would be true, the car would be slow to heat up. I would guess that the stat has been removed in an unsuccessful attempt to CURE an overheating problem.

If I were you I would keep my hard earned where it is and hunt down another LS.

Hi and Welcome to LOC :)

Id say have a look out for another LS40o ;)

Theres plenty about as no one wants the fuel bills and running costs.

Learning from my past with secondhand cars,if it starts as trouble its normally trouble until you sale it on and you will have moe problems over time,

At the end of the day its up to you but end take me money back and run :) and look for another car as there not cheap when they go wrong.

Chips..

Welcome to the board

I can only echo what has been said however spare a thought for the previous owner as not very often do you find a willingness to take back a privately sold car that is faulty.

I too am a relatively new owner to Lexus and am in the car trade yet in the first few weeks of ownership have had to splash out on a new braking system, tyres and air pollen filter/air con recharge which at retail prices would be over £1000 so beware.

All the best and good luck in finding a new ride

Murph

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links