Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What's This Sound?

Yeah Zee's does this as well pal, I love it, one day I'm going to have a car that makes this noise and I'm just going to sit and do it all day :lol:

Actually I was looking into something the other day and came across a Wiki link which read the following:

Wastegate Chatter Myth

There is a common myth in the automotive world about so called "wastegate chatter", a noise created on lifting off the throttle in a turbocharged car. The sound is commonly described as a chipmunk or a rattlesnake. This sound is in fact caused by a component callled a blowoff valve (BOV) malfunctioning or being incorrectly setup. The BOV releases the excess pressure (from turbocharging/supercharging) between the throttle flap and the turbo when the throttle closes. However when this volume of air is too large the BOV cannot release it all and the pressure is vented back through the compressor turbine. As the air passes back through the turbine the pressure wave is "chopped" by the still spinning turbine creating the fluttering sound that is commonly termed wastegate chatter.

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wastegate

Not sure about the incorrectly setup bit, it sounds incredible imho, much better than a standard whoosh you get with a BOV.

Its the BOV. If you lift off quickly it makes the chatter noise. If you lift off more slowly you get the pppsssshhhh noise.

I guess it's how you set up the BOV then? I have the Blitz SS which makes the ppppsheeeeeeek noise. I like that Supe noise A LOT!

Its the BOV. If you lift off quickly it makes the chatter noise. If you lift off more slowly you get the pppsssshhhh noise.

I guess it's how you set up the BOV then? I have the Blitz SS which makes the ppppsheeeeeeek noise. I like that Supe noise A LOT!

I'm not sure mate. I thought they all did it?

Have you heard the one on the Monster? The HKS SSQV? Very similar Sounds wicked :D Have a look at the vid of Mat drifting

its the back pressure being chopped by the impeller blades on the turbo

Correct me if i'm wrong but i always thought the turbo blades getting a beating by unused air like that was bad for it?

Matt - you're the daddy - explain all :D

its the back pressure being chopped by the impeller blades on the turbo

Correct me if i'm wrong but i always thought the turbo blades getting a beating by unused air like that was bad for it?

Matt - you're the daddy - explain all :D

increased back pressure really only becomes a major concern on cars running ceramic turbine blades, especially on cars running BPU

• 2 weeks later...
And what's this sound??

CLICK

:winky:

Hi,

The sound of silence.......

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error

Is what im getting when i click on the link.

Regards to the first video sound,on my car i can hear the same sound but alot quieter than the Supra in the video,when the throttle is lifted.

Chips..

Mike, lemme know if you can make your MR2 chatter!

I've got the HKS SSQV on mine, which is ok, but would sooner have a chatter noise than a dumpvalve noise :)

My Blitz SS goes something like "ppppshheeeeeeeeekkkkk" :blink:

You can change the sound by turning the screw on the top. :)

In the beginning mine was like "PPPSSSHHHHhhhhh!"

Then I changed it to liek that from the Supra "TSH-TSH-TSH-tsh-tsh-tsh!"

I've got the HKS SSQV on mine, which is ok, but would sooner have a chatter noise than a dumpvalve noise :)

Nice one Mike

Which way do you turn the screw and how many turns to get the "TSH-TSH-tsh-tsh-tsh" effect?

Nice one Mike

Which way do you turn the screw and how many turns to get the "TSH-TSH-tsh-tsh-tsh" effect?

The harder you set the screw (turning to the right hand side) the more you get the "Tsh-Tsh-Tsh!" effect.

I will look for some videos of my Lex then I can show you. :)